Top Shelf Aquatics

.375g Watch Box PICO

DRLenox

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks awesome! A true pico! Do you have an appoximated price list for the whole set up? What watch was the box from? Once again, it is a great looking tank!

Looks nice! Gald to see you got the LED situation sorted out. Did it end up being the power supply?

Keep an eye on the temperatures of those LEDs. That proto-board is an insulator and the heatsink you have is not doing much more than moving air around, which could be enough. Just be mindful of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought an update was in order, the tank is doing great. I have found lots of cool things. It's actually kinda crazy, the rock in the tank was in my 9g for about a year and I have not seen these before, but after about a day or two of being in my pico I found lots of little things, some known some unknown. Hope you guys can help on the ID's.

1. Some little colonial feather dusters, What kind?

web.jpg

2. Was hard to get my cam to focus on it but it is a little purple ball in the very center of the pic, prob. a sponge, but not really sure.

web.jpg

3. This one I did find in my 9g but never could get a good pic of it.

web.jpg

4. A bivalve, Species?

web.jpg

5. This little guy came on a recent coral as a hitcher. I grabbed him and put him in the pico to keep an eye on him. obviously a limpet EDIT: Stomatella, species?

web.jpg

#2 and #3 look similar to something I noticed in my tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=144941&hl=

I was having a problem with all zoas in that area not opening and slowly fading away. Since I scraped it off a month ago, everything has grown extremely well. I still have no idea what it was, but I'm glad I got rid of it.

BTW.. great little tank. I would like to do something like this at work, but I'm afraid of the evaporation. How much water do you have to add and how often?

Hmm. hope it gets ID'd here. The zoas on that rock are still trying to recover from the partial crash of my 9. The thing in pic 3 is on the other side of the rock so hopefully it won't bother the zoas for now. here is a zoom on pic 2, sorry it sucks. focus on the semi translucent purple orb in the the center.

web.jpg

i think your limpet is a stomatella, this turned out really nice... is there a hole in the top of the lid to let the heat out? or is the heat sink just pushing air around?

all in all a very nice little tank

Matty, I think you're right about my limpet. :blush: There is no hole, yet. I never mentioned that the box is not wood, it's leather wrapped plastic. this makes it very hard/scary to cut into it. I don't run the LED's at full power still, due to water heat issues. So yes, the heatsink is just pushing air. If anyone has ideas for venting I'm open.

i have never cut into a leather wraped plastic... but i would get a hole saw for cutting acrylic and, being as careful as i could, just cut through till i got through the plastic.. then i would take a knife and cut through the leather... just buy a fancy fan cover for a computer case and put it on top to cover up it up and to make the edges look clean... i think ultimately your going to have to open that top up to vent that heat

• 1 month later...

The tank has been coming along nicely. I added a purple porcelain crab about a month ago, he's so timid, i can see him just barely, wavin his nets around. I also put a couple zoas in from my 9g, the dying zoas on the rock are still hangin on. Any tricks to get them to open? Here are some update pics.

web.jpg

Zoa at night.

web.jpg

UMMMM. Looked in the tank this morning and this thing, (hasn't really been ID'd yet) has oozed a bunch of bubbles all over it. I'm guessing that it is reproducing or something. Help on the ID and what it is doing? PICS, before and today.

Thanks,

Matt

BEFORE

web.jpg

AFTER

web.jpg

Matty (and everyone),

Yeah it does look similar. But it was in my 9g for almost a year and has never done this before. The bubbles do not have a vent, like the ones in the pics. ??? The bubbles are starting to detach today. AHHHHH!!!!!! But if there not bad I'm gunna let them do their thing. (ARE THEY BAD???) I'll try to get some better pics of the bubbles.

• 2 months later...

Snapped a pretty cool pic yesterday of the porcelain crab. He is so shy, this is the most I have seen of him in nearly 6 months. here it is:

web.jpg

This is a very awesome tank! I love the LED lighting... I never knew that reefing could mix two of my favorite hobbies, tinkering and now reefing... its great!

• 5 months later...
Radioshack sells small LED very cheap

Was just about to put that. They have a few colors too, but it looks like you already got your lighting sorted out.

• 1 month later...

what about the one that taam makes its 10 i think 1 or 1/2 watt led's and you can get it in all white all blue or half and half i think im gonna use that for my wifes classroom tank im gonna make her

Archived