Pod Your Reef

RSM Lights

land_lubber

• 2 months later...

Anybody use some of the newer bulbs with internal reflectors? UVL in the states, URI here in Canada. Was thinking of trying them out, go for some better colour...

So I have not gone with any of the newer bulbs. I decided to get a LED retro. I have wanted one for quite some time. I thought about getting a new piece of equipment but really wanted to keep the stock look.

Had this place recommended to me.

http://shop.ledreef.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-13...M13024DLret.htm

I can say nothing but great things about Chris and the job they did. Getting my second hood done and will get pictures up when it gets back. Check it out.

Anybody use some of the newer bulbs with internal reflectors? UVL in the states, URI here in Canada. Was thinking of trying them out, go for some better colour...

Seems like it needs more LEDS, or at least there is a lot of room for more.

Unless they come in T5 with PC connections you are rising the loss of light intensity.

stevie....

I agree there is definitely more room for leds. I have talked to several rsm owners and they say they are SUPER bright and they are thankful that everything can be dimmed.

wonder if anyone else on nano reef has one of these. I can think of one person... thats about it.

I can't think of any one that does have one. These LEDs are insane I really do need to read up more on them. Expensive that is for sure. Post pics when you do pull the trigger

Its a done deal. I will post pics when everything happens.

I can't think of any one that does have one. These LEDs are insane I really do need to read up more on them. Expensive that is for sure. Post pics when you do pull the trigger
Unless they come in T5 with PC connections you are rising the loss of light intensity.

I don't think that the PC-R lamps from Nanotuners come in 55/65 watts. It they did, It would probably be an improvement over the stock PCT5 thing the RSM had going on. The benefit of t5 is the smaller diameter bulb minimizes re-strike so more of the light gets in the tank. If the lamp is internally reflected , re-strike is almost completely a non-issue (though, Internal reflectors don't work quite as well as parabolic reflectors on true t5). In theory, any straight florescent lamp can be efficient at getting light into the tank, even t12s, but the size of reflector needed would make it difficult to put up enough lights over a tank to make it worthwhile.

[Edit]

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the diameter of the lamp should make little difference in the output of the lamp, especially when comparing t5 to t6 with CF lamps.

It could be that the RSM uses a ballast that overdrives the lamps and their proprietary lamps are designed to deal with it better. I don't own any of the above equipment, so I could be talking out my ###.

Edited by herranton
  • 4 weeks later...
Its a done deal. I will post pics when everything happens.

I just pulled the trigger on that unique retro hood LED upgrade also- looks very cool, let me know how yours goes, I went to a frag swap and all the vendors had the corals under LED'S and they looked great all the corals glowed.

Just got to have it!!!!

Rick

Edited by reefer714
  • 2 months later...
I just pulled the trigger on that unique retro hood LED upgrade also- looks very cool, let me know how yours goes, I went to a frag swap and all the vendors had the corals under LED'S and they looked great all the corals glowed.

Just got to have it!!!!

Rick

Interested in hearing how these are working out.....

Interested in hearing how these are working out.....

yeah i have ask a few people the post a fts but know one seams to have a camera, i want to see what they look like and how they perform

• 9 months later...
ALexpsycho

I upgraded standard lighting with 36X3watt bridgelux leds full dimmable from aquastyleonline.com I did cut the heatsink and upgraded the fans.

imag0207k.jpg

imag0208t.jpg

imag0210t.jpg

imag0211wg.jpg

and a video showing full dimmable capabilitys

so far so good I grow 12-13 sps corals,milies,seratoporas,acroporas,montiporas,pocciloporas,and all look growing very good.

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...