Coral Vue Hydros

RSM Lights

land_lubber

land_lubber
Which site do you buy it from? I usually go to drsfostersmith and marinedepot ...

customaquatics.com but thats only cause marinedepot don't ship bulbs overseas.

Red Sea told me that they needed to be changed every year, depending on how long you run them. TO be safe I am changing mine every 9 months.

nanotuners.com shows one bulb in stock fight now (for $35)

If someone orders one of their upgrades, they'll probably have a couple more. ;)

-hank

Thanks Hank... but those bulbs are supposed to be $19.99 (market price). So, I will probably wait ... :P

lilredneckman
I am still confused how these PCs will be brighter, but I guess i need to see them in person. I need to do a bulb change and now I am on the fence about going with PCs. What to do, what to do.

Go all the way and get MH's!!

Hi Land:

Your Hamiliton 65W PC fits the RSM because its 21 inch length right? I wonder if the Corallife 21" will also work? I don't see any Hamiliton at LFS, but tons of Corallife ...

Thanks,

Go all the way and get MH's!!

yeah, i would love to, but then the cost of a chiller! I do not want to go open top and cool with fans. Right now I have good growth with my SPS and the stock lighting.

noobofreefs

I say if it's working there's no reason to change. So far it seems the RSM lights have been doing fine. (Well according to what I've been reading/hearing) Why not just replace them with the RSM replacements? I don't see a reason to risk it with sticking other bulbs in there...

the only reason I can see is to change the color and give corals more actinic lighting, which can be very helpful to their growth as the wavelengh travels the deepest in the ocean.

noobofreefs
the only reason I can see is to change the color and give corals more actinic lighting, which can be very helpful to their growth as the wavelengh travels the deepest in the ocean.

Yeah I could see that but I would be kind of afraid of messing with it. Plus doesn't actinic put out less PAR? It does give cool color though...

I don't know the techical talk around it. There was a great article explaining light spectrium in the last issue of Coral Magazine.

Coral.jpg

Edited by StevieT
yeah, i would love to, but then the cost of a chiller! I do not want to go open top and cool with fans. Right now I have good growth with my SPS and the stock lighting.

There is the nanotuner's HQI 1.150 series ... but that will cost an arm and leg. =) It does look cool though. I was considering that until I thought I can spend more $ and build another tank =) RSM T5 PC are not that bad ... just did not have true 03 actinic ... I miss that purple tint .... and no sunrise and sunset settings ...

I say if it's working there's no reason to change. So far it seems the RSM lights have been doing fine. (Well according to what I've been reading/hearing) Why not just replace them with the RSM replacements? I don't see a reason to risk it with sticking other bulbs in there...

actinic blue vs actinic 03 has quite a big visual difference ... could be my person preference too ...

I am worried that the 65W will shorten the life of the electronics ... because it is really not officially tested or supported ... I might just stick with the RSM lights for a while ...

dilenma ...

oh trust me, i know about the upgrade, i drool over it every now and then! B)

It is just a bit much right now. I am $2500+ in this tank and I need to chill out at the moment, StevieT needs a house one of these days, plus I am keeping all my corals happy under the stock lighting.

land_lubber

It is just a bit much right now. I am $2500+ in this tank and I need to chill out at the moment, StevieT needs a house one of these days, plus I am keeping all my corals happy under the stock lighting.

Its cheaper just to buy a HQI/T5 unit than get the upgrade right? I hear ya about buying a house Stevie but its just too damn expensive right now.

I guess when it is not broken ... don't fix it ... you never know what is going to happen ... I guess I am sticking with the stock lighting for now because the RSM replacement bulbs are still not available.

Well let use know when/if you get the new tubes and tale some before and after pics for us.

sure ... still out of stock though ... I think I will just get it from Pinky directly.

sure ... still out of stock though ... I think I will just get it from Pinky directly.

Just bought 4 from Pinky today. :) Just order from her directly ... nice and easy ... I will get some Coraline 21" actinic03 though ... I really miss that purple tint ...

land_lubber
Just bought 4 from Pinky today. :) Just order from her directly ... nice and easy ... I will get some Coraline 21" actinic03 though ... I really miss that purple tint ...

:o I'm not a big fan of the purple look. Take some pics and show us what it looks like when you get them installed.

• 1 month later...
random_ryan

I have a 150 sun pod on mine. and for the question of if the bulbs in the stock RMS are PC or T5. They are PC . any PC bulb will work. I personaly was extreemly disappointed to find this out. so I changed to MH hope this helps u all out

I have a 150 sun pod on mine. and for the question of if the bulbs in the stock RMS are PC or T5. They are PC . any PC bulb will work. I personaly was extreemly disappointed to find this out. so I changed to MH hope this helps u all out

Land now is an owner of a 150W MH with 4 T5s.

The RSM bulbs arn't exaclty PC, they are much brighter. Yes they have PC connections, but I woudn't call them PC since they output a lot more light. Personally, I am satisfied with the stock lighting, I wish they had true T5 connections, but they provide enough light for my SPS and clam.

land_lubber

I agree with Stevie plus they are thinner than normal PC's. As for my new lights I'm just waiting to get them back with the new ballasts then I'll post some pics :D

Does anyone know if the bulbs sold by AH Supply are the same as what come stock in the RSM:

http://ahsupply.com/bulbs.htm item # 15519.

I'm using one in a PC upgrade on a 10g QT tank. The light looks the same to my eyes.

-hank

Edit - I actually set the fixture with the AH supply bulb in it on our RSM and turned off the RSM lights. There was a HUGE difference in color, so no, these do not look the same when compared side by side.

Edited by HankB
  • 1 month later...