Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RSM Lights

land_lubber

Good to hear. We still plan to get the RSM and I hope we can do with the stock lights. SWMBO will just have to restrict her choices to what thrives in that lighting.

Nanotuners.com has HQI upgrade kits for the RSM but they're pretty spendy. Nanocustoms.com has that already built into a kit. But then you're up to almost $1300 if you add moon lights and actinics and I don't think they include the stand.

As far as RSM wanting customers to buy their bulbs... That cuts both ways. If it is a special bulb - a low volume product - it is going to cost them more and drive the price of their kit up. I suppose it is possible that they are using the razor blade marketing strategy - make money on the refills - but if they price replacement bulbs too high, they provide an opportunity for someone else to make a replacement, undercut them and still make money. No, I think the most likely reason they chose this bulb is that overall, it provided the best performance/cost benefit in their product.

If the lights are so good why are you looking at the nanotuners upgrade? You havent even given the awesome RSM T-5 a chance.

I would think that using a different buld would at the least void the warranty and at the most cause a potential electrical issue. I would not recommend it.

Warranty voided when I ripped the stock skimmer out and drilled a fuge light into the hood.

I'd like to see Red Sea come after me for chainging out their crappy ass skimmer if I ever had a claim.

On the lighting, The stock bulbs seem brighter to me than standard PC. Unless you are looking for a different spectrum of light, I can't see you getting any more growth out of different lights.

land_lubber

Other company's already have made bulbs for them, like I said in my very first post I have tried the Hamilton bulbs you can get from Marine Depot and they are alot brighter than the stock ones and also cheaper.

I hear you Steve, I'm getting good growth from the stock lights. Just wondering if it could be better? I have a problem, cant leave well enough alone. I'm sure my warrenty is void though, I;ve done as much damage to the stock hood as possible.

If the lights are so good why are you looking at the nanotuners upgrade? You havent even given the awesome RSM T-5 a chance.

Curiosity - no more.

Eventually we'll give the awesome RSM T-5 a chance. ;)

-hank

land_lubber
do you have a link?

Are they PC bulbs or this T5 pc?

Yeah those are them Steve. Sorry what I meant to say was that they are cheaper than the stock RSM bulbs here in New Zealand. I just ordered some of these ones (cause Marine Depot won't ship bulbs to NZ) so once I get them I will take some before and after pics for everyone. The real actinic blue one is on backorder so I'm not too sure when I will get them.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic...exid=lt-rpcb-55

LT-HMACF5510

Price $24.99

Ice White 10,000K Cool-Sun 55/65 watt German Power Compact Bulbs

LT-HMACF55B

Price $24.99

55/65 watt Real Actinic Blue Power Compact German pin style Actinic 03 Blue bulb

the fact the the "t5's" in the RSM are bent into a U shape like normal pc lights negates the difference of diameter between those types of bulbs. that's the main thing that make t5 bulbs better than pc's, the diameter of the bulb combines with the straight and direct output. the U shape and lack of space after the bend of pc's diminishes the amount of output by them, its wasted light that is directed towards itself rather than sending or reflecting it down towards the tank. by creating a t5 based upon the same principle as the pc's they have simply recreated the same weaknesses encountered by pc's. so, basically, it's just a skinnier pc bulb.

Edited by shiveley
the fact the the "t5's" in the RSM are bent into a U shape like normal pc lights negates the difference of diameter between those types of bulbs. that's the main thing that make t5 bulbs better than pc's, the diameter of the bulb combines with the straight and direct output. the U shape and lack of space after the bend of pc's diminishes the amount of output by them, its wasted light that is directed towards itself rather than sending or reflecting it down towards the tank. by creating a t5 based upon the same principle as the pc's they have simply recreated the same weaknesses encountered by pc's. so, basically, it's just a skinnier pc bulb.

Thus the extra 20 watts might be help full as well as the wider selection of bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah those are them Steve. Sorry what I meant to say was that they are cheaper than the stock RSM bulbs here in New Zealand. I just ordered some of these ones (cause Marine Depot won't ship bulbs to NZ) so once I get them I will take some before and after pics for everyone. The real actinic blue one is on backorder so I'm not too sure when I will get them.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic...exid=lt-rpcb-55

LT-HMACF5510

Price $24.99

Ice White 10,000K Cool-Sun 55/65 watt German Power Compact Bulbs

LT-HMACF55B

Price $24.99

55/65 watt Real Actinic Blue Power Compact German pin style Actinic 03 Blue bulb

Great thread. I am planning to try the LT-HMACF5510 and LT-HMACF55B. Did you get your orders and is it worth it?

Also what does 55/65 watt mean? Either it is 55 or 65 ... can't be a or right?

Thanks.

land_lubber

Thanks yeah I actually just got them a couple of days ago and have installed them I took some before and after pics so will post them here. Well first thing the bulbs are not t5 pc's cause they are alot thicker than the standard RSM ones but they are brighter as you will see from the pics. Also the boxes they came in are marked 65watt not 55watt and I got the Actinic 03 one thinking it would be a nice blue colour but it isn't, its more a purple colour but nevermind oh and another thing they say they are made by Hamilton yet the Hamilton ones I got from Marine Depot when I was on holiday in USA ARE t5 pc's (they don't ship them outside USA) :angry:

Well here are some before and after pics:

Before

Before1.jpg

After

After1.jpg

Before

Before2.jpg

After

After2.jpg

Before

Before3.jpg

After

After3.jpg

Oh forgot to mention I brought the 10,000k bulb as well as the Actinic 03

Thanks land_lubber for the details.

Just to confirm, the two models you got are LT-HMACF5510 and LT-HMACF55B?

I have used actinic 03 (with the purple tint) before on my other tanks and those actually brings out better color from the corals (from a visual perspective). The lighting may not look as strong under actinic 03. So I like them better that the blue ones.

The pics do not show that much of a difference visually. May be its the pics. Do you see a difference in real person?

I see that you have SPS, will 65W x2 PC work? I thought SPS needs T5, HQI ot MH ...

Lastly, do it take a lot of work to fit these new bulbs?

Leo

land_lubber

Yeah those are the models that I got and if you look at the pics of the FTS you can see the skimmer and return powerheads a bit clearer in the after shot but all in all they are brighter than the stock ones and were easy to fit. I like a blue look so I will end up replacing the Actinic 03 tube for a blue one. As for the SPS I wanted to experiment abit with the RSM. Most of them are doing fine (I took some frags off the ones in my big tank) and the ones that didn't do so well I put back into my other tank.

thanks land, those were some good pictures

I forgot you were over an ocean away... i suppose everything is more expensive!!!

what is the concern from going from RSM "t-5s" to PC. I have so much sps i'd hate to risk it. PC also have to be changed every 6 months... what are we feeling about the stock bulbs time frame. I still haven't changed mine yet.

thanks land, those were some good pictures

I forgot you were over an ocean away... i suppose everything is more expensive!!!

what is the concern from going from RSM "t-5s" to PC. I have so much sps i'd hate to risk it. PC also have to be changed every 6 months... what are we feeling about the stock bulbs time frame. I still haven't changed mine yet.

Thanks Land for all the info.

Stevie: do you know how often the RSM T5 needs to be replaced?

I don't really have a problem with the RSM T5, but the color of some corals is not as good under RSM T5 as Sunpod MH. I am also looking at the Nanocustoms 1.150W upgrade ... but then ... that's so expensive and I don't really know if it is worth it or not ...

i think 1 year but I was actually asking that myself. I forgot the ? mark...

i dont like going off their advise, i trust people here. PC don't last as long as T5, but what about T5 PC connection bubs?!!! I think I am due for a change soon, i can see the difference in the water

i think 1 year but I was actually asking that myself. I forgot the ? mark...

i dont like going off their advise, i trust people here. PC don't last as long as T5, but what about T5 PC connection bubs?!!! I think I am due for a change soon, i can see the difference in the water

Thanks Stevie. I need to order a set as well. may be I will get both and see which one works out better. I don't have SPS ... but may want to try some in the next few months.

land_lubber

No probs guys its good to see what everyone is doing and then make up your mind for yourself on what you want. As for the time length for the t5 pc's I'm not too sure they say 1 year but I would change it every 8 months just to be sure.

Stevie - about the pc's needing to be changed every six months when I do have to change these ones I think I will try and get some of those Hamilton ones I got from marine depot when I was in the USA even the blue one seemed to be much brighter than my standard 50/50 RSM tube <_< I sent marine depot an email asking them if they could send me some to NZ hahahaha even though when I try to order them there isn't a shipping option for them outside the USA :angry:

Hey Stevie I forgot to ask you which Tunze skimmer have you got in the back on your RSM now? is it the DOC Skimmer 9015 or the DOC Skimmer 9002?

Edited by land_lubber

I am still confused how these PCs will be brighter, but I guess i need to see them in person. I need to do a bulb change and now I am on the fence about going with PCs. What to do, what to do.

Land- I went with the 9002, works wonderful!

PM me... maybe we can work something out with shipping to you, I am sure a flat rate USPS box could make it over there for around $30-$40. I am willing to be the middle man, I think Marine Depot has free shipping over $175 so the bulbs and skimmer would ship to me for free. Then I can forward them on to you. Let me know.

Flat Rate Box = $35.15 to you...

land_lubber

Yeah I didn't understand how they were brighter either maybe cause my RSM tubes were 6 months old? but I can see there is a difference with how bright they are.

Stevie - Thanks for the offer I'll have to get back to you on that and see what I will get from marine depot cause I can get the skimmer here for $250 so I'll get the tubes and see what other goodies I want :D

Yeah it was like that for me as well but it only took a couple of days for them to replace the stock.

Which site do you buy it from? I usually go to drsfostersmith and marinedepot ...

The bulbs are all sold out online ... back order ... sigh ...

nanotuners.com shows one bulb in stock fight now (for $35)

If someone orders one of their upgrades, they'll probably have a couple more. ;)

-hank