Top Shelf Aquatics

RSM Lights

land_lubber

Ok I'm not getting much luck in the lighting forum so..... I am looking at some new 55w Compact Fluorescent tubes for my RSM tank. I have found a few brands like Coralife, All-Glass Aquarium, Arcadia and Hamilton. I have tried the Arcadia and Hamilton ones and the Hamilton ones are ALOT brighter than the Arcadia and the stock RSM ones. So I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea on which brand they think is better and feel free to post pics.

i thought the RSM lights were custom lights and that you could only use their brand. Did you confirm that you could use another type, if so i may get another type for mine if some are brighter.

Well like I said I have tried the Hamilton bulbs they sell at Marine Depot (well the blue one) and it seemed to be ALOT brighter than the standard RSM ones and even the Arcadia ones. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried any other brands.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason they are brighter is that the RSM uses 50/50's. If you went with a dedicated 10k and a dedicated 6.5k then you will see more brightness and IMO better coral growth. I swapped my RSM stocks out about a month ago and have had major coral growth since.

You do not need to use RSM bulbs in an RSM. They are simply square prong VHO PC lights.

UH

snake plissken

UH - can you post a link to the ones you bought? or at least the specific model and make. I am due to replace my original bulbs (10 months old) and i was going to go with stock RSM replacemnet bulbs.

but if you tried somehting else and had luck...

UH - can you post a link to the ones you bought? or at least the specific model and make. I am due to replace my original bulbs (10 months old) and i was going to go with stock RSM replacemnet bulbs.

but if you tried somehting else and had luck...

I bought mine at my LFS so I am not sure what it was that I bought. I think they were Hamilton's for what it is worth. You want the straight pin bulbs I believe.

UH

I bought mine at my LFS so I am not sure what it was that I bought. I think they were Hamilton's for what it is worth. You want the straight pin bulbs I believe.

UH

This is interesting info. What type of corals did you see major growth in? Did you have any negitive responses from this change?

Edited by pwoller

I just found 4 Odessea 65 watt PC bulbs. 2 Actinic and 2 12000k. I tryed them all in differant arrangements and they worked. The question is now what 65 watt pc combination will give the best results. I have LPS, zoo's,softies, and some low light sps. I love the way the corals glow under the actinic's but need descent growth as well. Anyone have any ideas of some good bulb combinations?

lilredneckman
I just found 4 Odessea 65 watt PC bulbs. 2 Actinic and 2 12000k. I tryed them all in differant arrangements and they worked. The question is now what 65 watt pc combination will give the best results. I have LPS, zoo's,softies, and some low light sps. I love the way the corals glow under the actinic's but need descent growth as well. Anyone have any ideas of some good bulb combinations?

Bump! I am now very interested in this too.

No I took them out until I could do more research on PC's. I dont know what combination to use to get better results. Or if better results were even a possibility?

lilredneckman

I was thinking and are these RSM "T-5s" or not? Because if the PC's fit in there... I thought they couldn't go in the same fixture.

I really no nothing about lights but i am learning.

land_lubber

pwoller - You said they are 65w right? isn't the RSM lights only rated at 55w each? if so wouldn't putting the 65w ones in there shorten the life of the ballasts?

I dont know why it would but I have no lighting experiance.

"I was thinking and are these RSM "T-5s" or not? Because if the PC's fit in there... I thought they couldn't go in the same fixture.

I really no nothing about lights but i am learning."

The RSM has T-5 diameter PC's. True T-5's are powered from both ends. I think Red Sea was just trying to sell there own bulbs.

Ovearall I am satisfited with T-5 PC or whatever they are selling these lights as. They are a smaller diameter than PC bulbs, but have the same 4 pin connection. Red Sea should have gone with true T5 lighting.

If you guys ever figure this out let me know, I'll be here watching my corals grow under the stock bulbs.

Edited by StevieT

Q: Why are the Max light tubes called T5 power compacts?

A: Regular power compact lighting has a tube diameter of 6/8”, which is known as T6. T5 tubes haves a smaller diameter (5/8”) and produce a higher intensity output. The T5s used in the MAX are custom made power compacts that enable us to provide 55 watts of light in a smaller footprint than the equivalent (2 x 24 W) regular T5 tubes would provide. Regular power compact are often powered by magnetic ballasts, but the Max T5 power compacts are powered by an electronic ballast to guarantee consistent high performance.

Q: Can I use other light tubes instead?

A: Regular power compacts will work in the MAX, however due to their tube diameter and overall length it will be difficult to fit them inside the hood. We strongly recommend using only the custom made MAX tubes.

haha, no one listens to the factory!!!!

That is actually a recent addition to their FAQ, before it never said anything about the length of normal PCs

Oceanic 30g

I have heard so many people say "They are not real T5's", but I think the results speak volumes. It is possible to do SPS and have growth and LPS and softies grow like weeds. Who cares what they are called if they work. I have seen a lot of comments from people who cannot afford the tank so they want to put their 2 cents in. (probably the 16 yr olds on this site)

that's not the point of this thread. the question here is whether or not standard straight pin pc/cf bulbs will work in RSM's (which, apparently they will if you can get them to fit). and if that's the case, that opens up a wider variety of lighting options based upon the varied spectral outputs of the wide assortment of pc/cf bulbs currently available.

Oceanic 30g

I would think that using a different buld would at the least void the warranty and at the most cause a potential electrical issue. I would not recommend it.

I'll be here watching my corals grow under the stock bulbs.

Good to hear. We still plan to get the RSM and I hope we can do with the stock lights. SWMBO will just have to restrict her choices to what thrives in that lighting.

Nanotuners.com has HQI upgrade kits for the RSM but they're pretty spendy. Nanocustoms.com has that already built into a kit. But then you're up to almost $1300 if you add moon lights and actinics and I don't think they include the stand.

As far as RSM wanting customers to buy their bulbs... That cuts both ways. If it is a special bulb - a low volume product - it is going to cost them more and drive the price of their kit up. I suppose it is possible that they are using the razor blade marketing strategy - make money on the refills - but if they price replacement bulbs too high, they provide an opportunity for someone else to make a replacement, undercut them and still make money. No, I think the most likely reason they chose this bulb is that overall, it provided the best performance/cost benefit in their product.