inTank Media Baskets

DIY refugium light

MedcinMn

I wanted to add Chaeto to the rear chamber of my AP 24 and needed light. While at Home Depot for unrelated items, I devised this light, which I then siliconed to the rear of the tank (after removing a small portion of the black film):

1 1/2" junction box

CIMG3535.jpg

Back is removable for ease of light change

CIMG3536.jpg

6' power cord and weatherproof socket. I used the weatherproof one as it fit tightly

CIMG3537.jpg

I used a rotozip and cut out the back of the box, pushed the socket into the box and wired it up. Then I used silicone to attach this to the rear of the AP.

CIMG3538.jpg

CIMG3539.jpg

I like the idea, very nice. you gonna line the inside with anything to make it more reflective? just a tought.

I did think about it, but thought it's mounted right to the glass and wouldn't be necessary. Of course, I'm no expert and am always open to suggestions.

lil'wrasse cool

??? sure um...use a jb as a light holder(not really a jb, its a pull box) did you use a jb for you wire connections ? the place a jb is ment for??? for the price of a pig tail(your weather proof), the L connector (your fixture), the lite, and cord, I'm sure you could of bought something for the same price..

From a electrical stand point and pics provided ... fail...at least protect your joints, pretty getto

you realize this has been posted several times already. i used this mod as well only i took the removable panel off and velcroed that side to the tank for "ease of light change"

you realize this has been posted several times already. i used this mod as well only i took the removable panel off and velcroed that side to the tank for "ease of light change"

Don't be a wiener, he is sharing his experience. I did almost the same thing to my NC and it works great.

??? sure um...use a jb as a light holder(not really a jb, its a pull box) did you use a jb for you wire connections ? the place a jb is ment for??? for the price of a pig tail(your weather proof), the L connector (your fixture), the lite, and cord, I'm sure you could of bought something for the same price..

From a electrical stand point and pics provided ... fail...at least protect your joints, pretty getto

I did this to my tank also. As far as price the box cost $6, light $2, light socket $3, hvac foil $4, extension cord $.99, velcro $.99 and the fan i had laying around so its free. The total for the light is $16.98. Which light fixture can you buy for that much that will grow cheato?

P1010160.jpg

I did not realize that or I wouldn't have posted it. I have since done a more thorough search and found it has been done (as posted above).

Also, to change my bulb I simply unscrew the (2) screws holding the back on.

I've got a total of about $10 - $12 into this, not sure what I could've gotten for that. Certainly nothing that would look better (at that price)

With regards to the rest of your comment, or questions (I'm not sure which they were), why is this ghetto? It's neat, clean and secured to the rear of my AP.

If you want to debate ghetto, let's talk grammar, punctuation and spelling...

lil'wrasse cool

getto? yes, yes I am...spelling/grammar...some used school to learn, some used it to make money??? regrets? nope...I'm in a better position then most that focused in my high school...

As for my meaning of getto, dyi electrical should not be done by any g.i.joe...if fire or death not enough to make you think "getto"... extra $20 for safety, sounds good to me...seen all kinds of electrical fires, make us think"what were they thinking"...

As for my meaning of getto, dyi electrical should not be done by any g.i.joe...if fire or death not enough to make you think "getto"... extra $20 for safety, sounds good to me...seen all kinds of electrical fires, make us think"what were they thinking"...

its not like hes wiring an GFCI or running this light right to his fuse panel. hes making a light, which is extremely simple, and anyone with common knowledge can do. You dont need to be a licensed electrician to wire up a light do you? as long as the leads are connected properly and it is sealed so no water can short circuit it he is all set.

So you may sleep better tonight, I have been a firefighter/paramedic for 20+ years and am well aware of the cause, origin and outcome of fire.

As well, my father was a building contractor therefore, I have experience in all aspects of building from electrical, roofing etc. Further, I am a swimming pool contractor, and am intimate with not only plumbing, but electrical.

lil'wrasse cool

ok,ok I dont wanna turn this into a crazy debate...

So that is your knowledge, so now a kid goes o0o0o0 I can do that for under $20...uses duct tape for the joints and flammable glue to seal it to the tank...extreme, maybe.. I just feel if your gonna show dyi electrical show it step by step to the standers set in your state or whatever...

LContel17

anything done in your home needs a permit/inspection, that even means changing a switch...Thats what it reads in the Canadian electrical code book...Does everyone do it? no..

From the pics I could not see any proper wire joints or boxes to house these joints...

I got my fuge lite for $10 from wal mart...

No worries lil'wrasse, it's easy to get caught up in these topics. Do you happen to have a link or description of your fuge light from Walmart? I'm always open to other options.

• 2 years later...

I followed the post not quite to the T but it works amazing well. Here is mine. It has doubled my cheato/culupra size in 1.5 weeks. I had an old pvc pipe plug and with a little black tape it fit in there nice and snug. Plus an extra piece of plexiglass laying around Presto flash guard.

post-42151-1275070177_thumb.jpg

post-42151-1275070245_thumb.jpg

post-42151-1275070253_thumb.jpg

post-42151-1275070268_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

The best reflective material for lights is Mylar or flat white paint. Tin foil and reflective tapes might make the light look a little brighter than using nothing at all, but they actually absorb a good amount of the light.

Mylar is the reflective material that you see in people's houses who grow tomatoes in their closets. It can be pretty expensive if you're buying rolls of it from a grow shop, but you can buy Emergency Blankets instead. An emergency blanket is made of the same exact thing as what you would buy from a grow shop, but it's a little thinner, so use 2 layers of it. You can find the blankets in Wal-Mart or any store that sells camping or first aid products (about $2). They might also be called Safety Blanket, First-Aid Blanket, Space Blanket, etc. Use a glue stick to make a double layer piece of the mylar blanket, then use the glue stick to get it to stick to the inside of your light's hood. Liquid or gel glue might make a stonger bond, but you don't want bubbles.

Your second best option is flat white paint (spray or regular). Make sure you use FLAT paint, and not glossy paint. I know glossy paint sounds like the logical choice, but it doesn't produce an even reflection.

Here is a link to show you what they look like. Make sure you buy the thin blankets and not the thick insulate ones that cost about $10.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CW%20...EID=FRCW%20B010

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to say, even for a DIY inept person like me, this was brilliant! And it actually only cost me 14$ having NO supplies.

The best light I have been able to find is a Simkar LED task light (Model 03-1400) It is bright as heck and only ~$25. It consists of 30x3W LEDs.

post-55439-1286484412.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived