ReefCleaners.org

Junkitu's Monti House Tank Thread

junkitu

Yeah! Can't wait to see all the montis grow big!

Junkitu, your tank, your sump, your scaping, your lightings, your corals and of cos your good husbandary.........all very top notch! :happy:

Can't see what is there or anything else to be improve :bowdown::bowdown:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah! Can't wait to see all the montis grow big!

Junkitu, your tank, your sump, your scaping, your lightings, your corals and of cos your good husbandary.........all very top notch! :happy:

Can't see what is there or anything else to be improve :bowdown::bowdown:

The caps are definitely starting to grow. Even the Sunset monti is showing some growth. I don't have a Ca reactor on this tank but I dose B-Ionic daily.

Is that a blue plate on the sandbed?

It's actually a tongue coral.

Not much has changed in the tank. I did move the big round rock out of the cove and up on the aquascape so the Superman frag could get more light and flow. I'm currently running a 14K Phoenix but plan to change to a 20K soon.

Left side - Purple and green maxima and friends

Clamandfriends.jpg

Right side - ORA Hawkins and Tub's Blues zoas

IMG_4433.jpg

Superman - Before I mounted it

IMG_4348.jpg

Multicolored brain - This specimen didn't have much extension when I bought it but it's fully extended now

IMG_4435.jpg

Orange and green plate coral

IMG_4505.jpg

The cove by day...

IMG_4528.jpg

...and by night

IMG_4548.jpg

Finally, a couple FTS

FTS1.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

Hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

• 3 weeks later...
pattykat99

Love it!!! Good Job Tony ;) ..............3 months huh?

-_- You're such a brat! Your tanks are awesome!!!

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in updates.

So far so good with the Elos system. I purchased 70+ lbs of LR from a local reefer (KuanTi) and 60 lbs of live sand from my LFS (Ultimate Aquarium). The Elos sump comes with a couple small compartments. I dumped a bunch of LR rubble into one of them. With the other I created a mini refugium with some chaeto and a clip on light. Finally, I filled the tank with treated ocean water (C-pure) as well as a few jugs of water from my Aquapod. Using this approach I got the tank up and running without much hint of a cycle.

The tank's been running for about a month now . Params look good so far and the skimmer is creating a good amount of stinky green skimmate.

S.G. = 1.025

Amonia = 0

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = 0

Ca = 480

pH = 8.3 to 8.5

Originally, I had planned to create a tiered aquascape to maximize room for coral placement. I found some really cool-shaped pieces of rock so I changed my plans and decided to create a horshoe shapped reef with arches instead. I left some headroom on the top for the SPS to grow out. I really like the way it came out and I hope the fish will appreciate the swimming room.

As for coral, I've transferred all of my SPS colonies and a couple choice softie frags from the AP into the new tank. I've also added several types of SPS and LPS to fill out the aquascape. Both tanks should have plenty of room to grow now. Special thanks to my buddy Dan for all of the great advice and freebies :).

Here are the pics:

IN THE BEGINNING:

DSC_1164.jpg

MONTI HOUSE TODAY:

IMG_4404.jpg

I ended up anchoring the zeroedge light stand to the wall for extra saftey and support, but I'm still pretty pleased with how sleek and clean it looks.

Here is the transformation of the aqascape.

BEFORE: Bare aquascape and tank.

IMG_4340.jpg

AFTER: Vinyl black background and livestock.

MontiHouseMarchFTS-1month.jpg

As you see, I have a mixture of SPS, LPS, and softies in this tank. I currently have 7 varieties of monti's (see below for type and placement):

A - Tyree Sunset

B - Pink polyp cap

C - Barney purple digi

D - Orange digi

E - Reverse pokerstar

F - Tyree Baby blue polyp cap

G - Original superman

I have a tricolor forestfire digi growing out in a friend's tank and should be adding that to my collection shortly.

Montiplacement.jpg

That's it for now. Let me know what you think.

Hope you do not mind, but can you tell me which salt brand you are using? I used to use io then switched a few years back to Oceanic. Now that I can finally add corals (No longer have my coral killing angel fish) I bought Reef Crystals and worried I made the wrong choice.

Seeing your tank is my inspiration I thought you were the best person to ask. Hope you do not mind?

Hope you do not mind, but can you tell me which salt brand you are using? I used to use io then switched a few years back to Oceanic. Now that I can finally add corals (No longer have my coral killing angel fish) I bought Reef Crystals and worried I made the wrong choice.

Seeing your tank is my inspiration I thought you were the best person to ask. Hope you do not mind?

I'm glad you've found inspiration in my tank but unfortunately I'm the wrong person to ask about salt brands. I don't make my own water. I buy treated ocean water called SeaPure. You never know what exactly is in it but it's worked so far for me.

stratosphere

Wow - another inspiring tank! The mushroom house was the first nano tank I truly fell in love with, and now here's a tank to lure me to a bigger project next... Great mix of colors and textures, and I love the ric garden in the cove. Where did you get those rics? They are sweet, and I never seem to see them at the stores in SF.

Also, looks like you've got a bunch of cool fish - some cardinals, chromis, and did I see a goby in there? Post a stocking list of your fish!

Wow - another inspiring tank! The mushroom house was the first nano tank I truly fell in love with, and now here's a tank to lure me to a bigger project next... Great mix of colors and textures, and I love the ric garden in the cove. Where did you get those rics? They are sweet, and I never seem to see them at the stores in SF.

Thanks! I haven't seen many rics on the market lately but Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas had the biggest selection that I've seen in quite some time. Ask for Victor or Billy and they'll take care of you.

Also, looks like you've got a bunch of cool fish - some cardinals, chromis, and did I see a goby in there? Post a stocking list of your fish!

I've got a lot of fish in this tank. So far so good.

1 Female Swallowtail Angel

1 Sunburst Anthias

2 ORA Bangaii Cardinals

2 ORA Neon Gobies (1 blue and 1 yellow)

1 Female Scooter Blenny

5 Green Chromis

I really want to add a true perc clown and an anemone but I haven't decided if I want to press my luck.

Thanks! I haven't seen many rics on the market lately but Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas had the biggest selection that I've seen in quite some time. Ask for Victor or Billy and they'll take care of you.

I've got a lot of fish in this tank. So far so good.

1 Female Swallowtail Angel

1 Sunburst Anthias

2 ORA Bangaii Cardinals

2 ORA Neon Gobies (1 blue and 1 yellow)

1 Female Scooter Blenny

5 Green Chromis

I really want to add a true perc clown and an anemone but I haven't decided if I want to press my luck.

I have to say both your tanks are my inspiration. In fact I just picked up the kents nano part a & b. The instructions are iffy for part B so I am going to wait a few days before I start. I figure I am in the initial cycle stage right now as it has only been a week.

Thanks again for posting such beautiful pictures.

I have to say both your tanks are my inspiration. In fact I just picked up the kents nano part a & b. The instructions are iffy for part B so I am going to wait a few days before I start. I figure I am in the initial cycle stage right now as it has only been a week.

Thanks again for posting such beautiful pictures.

Thanks Laura. Good luck with the new tank and please keep us posted on your progress. Have you started a tank thread so others can follow along?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought another Vortech through StanD's group buy. The new pump has some firmware upgrades that now includes a nightime mode. Now that I have two I'm also realizing how cool the wireless controller can be. Very cool.

I'll try to take some progress pics this week and post them.

Alright, I'm getting a little tired of you building awesome tanks so effortlessly.

:lol: I don't know about effortlessly. My family has started referring to me as "the fish guy" because I spend so much time working on my tank now that I have one at home.

Nick's Reef

Your tank looks great as usual, but I've got a quick question. I know that you've got a sunburst anthias, and i got one a few days ago and he's doing great, he loves cyclopeeze and seems to accept PE mysis. Is there any other foods i should try that your's like Junkitu?

theJenchild

I think that what I like best about your tanks is that they are full and beautiful, but don't look over crowded. They're tasteful and artistic, and really an inspiration to those of us who are just getting started in the hobby. Thank you for your amazing photos.

Archived