Coral Vue Hydros

Acan care?

donk

I just purchased my first Aussie Acan on Sun. I did some research before I bought it and the lfs guy told me that they are a very hardy coral. It's been 2 days since I put it in the tank and have yet to see it "puff" up or it's sweeper tenacles. Also when I first got it the outer ring was almost a silver color with a deep red center, now the ring looks almost purple. Is there anything more I should be doing for it?

I have a 12g Aquapod with a 70w sunpod HQI, I placed it about half way up in the tank with some water flow (not directly on it but substantial flow)

My parameters are all right where they should be and everything else in the tank is doing great.

post-2456-1202860524_thumb.jpg

i got my acans on sunday too! i just do phytoplankton (DT's) every other day, with mysis on monday. Mine are opening HUGE with sweeper tentacles extended. your lighting should be fine for the acans.

i got my acans on sunday too! i just do phytoplankton (DT's) every other day, with mysis on monday. Mine are opening HUGE with sweeper tentacles extended. your lighting should be fine for the acans.

I tried some mysis yesterday and it didnt seem interested, that pic was taken Sun and it looks even worse today.

ur acan looks good. under difrent light they will look difrent so that may be why they dont look the same in ur tank. imo the higher the light the less color they will have. look for the sweepers at night u. u dont have to feed them but they will grow aster if u do. i feed mine mysis shrimp once in awhile when i see the sweepers out. i just turn off the flow and squirt or place the shrimp on them and they will close up on it.hth

they receded that quickly? LPS usually takes longer for that. since its not opening, try spot feeding phyto. mine would not open sunday night until i tried phytoplankton. they eat it easily because phyto is tiny. how much was that colony? i'll post picture of my acans tonight when i can

they receded that quickly? LPS usually takes longer for that. since its not opening, try spot feeding phyto. mine would not open sunday night until i tried phytoplankton. they eat it easily because phyto is tiny. how much was that colony? i'll post picture of my acans tonight when i can

$99 it has 10 heads

they arent receeding they r just p!ssed. when u start to see the white skeleton then u should worry. try them lower in the tank and with less flow. what kind of lights did they come from under? maybe try to think how bright it was and try to place them somewere in ur tank thats about the same amount of light. but id bet they dont like the flow if u r saying they r getting a good amount.

Little Dragon
$99 it has 10 heads

I would suggest putting it toward the bottom of the tank (lower light) and lower flow. You can slowly acclimate to stronger light. However, I would not put it directly under the MH.

HNY donk

give it a few days, then try feeding mysis again

is your light grossly different from the source tank?

HNY!!!! They were under 400w of MH at the lfs (thats what he told me)

Under 70 here

i guess mine was a steal then, 12 heads only $60. :D

most are baby heads, but it came off a huge colony, i think it was around 60 head, $400, so i got the small colony.

Try feeding either before the lights come on or after the lights go out, they are active in the dark. I typically spot feed them before the lights come on once or twice a week any phyto you can get in the tank helps too.

- 400 watts but how deep/close to the lights were they ?

Try feeding either before the lights come on or after the lights go out, they are active in the dark. I typically spot feed them before the lights come on once or twice a week any phyto you can get in the tank helps too.

- 400 watts but how deep/close to the lights were they ?

Probably no more than 2 feet

how deep is your tank that they are not getting enough light? my LFS said that the placement of the acans didn't matter with a 250w MH in a 24" high tank. So i think that your should be fine. Maybe they are just getting used to your water and lighting. my flowerpot coral acted the same as your acans are doing right now. i think you only need patience if what we suggested does not work

Its possible that 70w over 12G is more intense than 400W or a large store display I would take LD advise.

that's what i think. my tank is 250w over 65g. my acans love the conditions

How old is your tank? There may be a problem with your water quality as well as placement. When I moved mine into my new prop tank, they puffed up to twice what they were in the old tank. I would also move them around & see where they are happier.

I will occasionally feed, but not really a whole lot. Be very careful of their neighbors, they can kill other coral that touches then, ESP at night. (One of mine fell onto some blue "shrooms and dam near nuked my tank.)

How old is your tank? There may be a problem with your water quality as well as placement. When I moved mine into my new prop tank, they puffed up to twice what they were in the old tank. I would also move them around & see where they are happier.

My tank is 3 months old, I took the advice and moved them to the bottom.

When I got up @ 5 A.M. this morning they had some of their sweepers out so I fed them a couple small pieces of mysis. I just got home and they look alot better.

Thanks everyone for all of you're help ;)

post-2456-1202933173_thumb.jpg

good for your acans. i like them , you know the name for them? i think i wanna special order from my LFS.

Sorry, no clue. They are preety cool, the pic does'nt do them justice.

Archived