Top Shelf Aquatics

Bright Orange Coralline?

CSoli921

Hi, on one of my LR's, there is this bright orange growth. It looks like the same texture/consistency of coralline algae. What I am a little confused about is that it will only grow when it is shaded. After receiving light, it disappears after a few days. Anyone know what it might be?

supreme_spork
bump

i've had patches of bright orange coralline that only grows in the shade... sadly none of it lasted longer than a few weeks, it was all overtaken by purple and pink.

I guess thats what it is then. I first noticed it when my tank was first setup. I had a rock on thop of the area. When I re-aquascaped I saw it. After a while it went away. Then I decided to put a frag on that area. I removed the frag and there it was again! It's a very neat looking color, but only grows where it can't be seen.

Thanks for the info!

During my tanks 1st life (it's been reincarnated 3 times), I had this really cool plating coralline that was crimson red. Since the tank was a FOWLR, I didn't do any supplementation and it stayed pretty small at around 2" in diameter. I wish I had kept a piece of it... -_-

Nice oolor!

I'm also one of those blessed with the bright red. It's actually doing a good job of competing with the pinkle (thats purply pink) variety for dominance in portions of my tanks...but no orange :(

The color is even nicer in person.. I wish there was a way I could get it to grow under lights though.. it's so weird how it completely disappears.. and then reappears when there is no light hitting it.

Edit: I forgot to :lol::haha: at pinkle!

i've seen that before, but only on kaelini live rock and tonga premium fused branch. and never in my own tank (i could barely afford fiji lol). it's BEAUTIFUL and now that i know it's low light secret i will have it in my next tank... somehow...

shivametimbas

not sure if this was coralline, but it was ORANGE. it didnt have polyps. it wasnt a sponge. the pic sucks. it didnt last long.(lower left section)

DSC04264.jpg

DSC04271.jpg

I am with you. That is an encrusting sponge. They are very common on live rock. In Florida that sponge is almost everywhere, and is very common. Much of the liverock in the industry is aquacultured here, that is probably what it is.

Last night I was blowing off some of my rock (kaelini) and a few spots of bright orange coralline showed up in my tank too. Looks just like yours, fluorescent orange under the actinics. Hopefully it is still there today when I get home so I can try and get some shots.

• 3 years later...
carbon-mantis

@shivametimbas, I've got some of that on a few of my rocks. Not sure what it is, perhaps an encrusting foraminiferan or some sort? Too hard to be any sponge I've seen before.

I have the plating red/orange coralline. Pretty nice looking; the new growth is bright fluorescent orange and darkens to red after a few days. I have a little chiton in the tank that's eating it faster than it grows though, so it won't last forever.

These are the best two shots I could get...

Orange1.jpg

Orange2.jpg

This is what my pink/purple coralline looks like when it temporarily dies back. It'll fluoresce under the actinics for a day or two then be gone

Archived