Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

12gal Nanocube DX(nanotuners) Journal

ddk997

from what i read turn skimmer of when cycling.

gunk flying around while messing with filter sponges is inevitable. they will settle or get caught in your other filter pad in no time

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Disaster! I was using my skimmer and I thought maybe it wasn't suppose to be in use during cycle. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Update:

Decided to test my waters today...and I have came to the conclusion I will be getting another test kit soon...any suggestions??

PH - 8.0

TEMP - 78 F

NH3/NH4(ammonia) - .1-.5 mg/l

NO2(nitrite) - 0

NO3(nitrates) - 0

Phosphate - 0

Calcium - 380-400

KH(ALK): 11-12 dKH

Normal????

OH ALSO...Woke up this morning, found another worm crawling out the hole..quickly grabbed my phone and tried to snap the best pictures possible...I watched it try to crawl out of the hole for 10 mins, then it finally came out and crawled to the center cave and dissapeared. Here are some pictures...can anyone please ID these?(also you can see the worm I was talking about last night in the picture...bottom right) Thanks!! Help is appreciated!

P0063.jpg

P0064.jpg

P0065.jpg

Im guessing Peanut worm??

what skimmer are you using? i didnt see one listed in your set up. is it the surface skimmer that came with the cube? if so you can leave that on when its cycling. its protien skimmers that you leave off when cycling

Thanks Qwank! I just put in the surface skimmer back in thanks to your reply.

UPDATE:

The very 1st worm that I witness, now seems to be dead...any reasons why? The 2nd worm dissapeared behind the middle cave/tunnel and have yet to be seen again.

I think I have a little green hair algae growing on the white thing(top left) in the photo below. What should I do? Thanks for the help.

P0055.jpg

P0073.jpg

Front Tank

P0074.jpg

Front Tank Angle

P0075.jpg

Front Tank Other Angle

P0076.jpg

Loaded with coralline colors

P0077.jpg

Left side tank (green hair algae?? by the white thing?)

P0071.jpg

Right Side tank...(green and orange coralline?)

P0079.jpg

Front tank w/ only Actinics

P0080.jpg

Front Tank Led lights only

I am wondering how do you move a thread? It seems im not recieving much help under this topic.

theres not much help to offer right now. you are in the cycling stage so that could last a week to over a month. i know its tough with your first tank but you just have to sit back and test the water every day until ammonia, nitrite and nitrate read all read 0

Damn, that aquascaping is awesome.

Thanks! It was pretty frustrating at first because it was my first time ever stacking rocks, they were hard to get to lock. I tested my water today and I believe my PH seems alittle low, I am wondering If anyone can help me out. I also have Electro-right and PH UP adjuster, Let me know what I can do to raise the PH.

DAY 1:

PH - 7.5

Temp - 78

Ammonia - .1 -.5

Nitrite,Nitrates - 0

Sal. - 1.022

Phosphate - 0

Cal - 400

KH - 11 d/KH

DAY 3: Today

PH - 7.5

Temp - 79

Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrates - 0

Sal. - 1.022

Phosphate - 0

Cal - 400

KH - 11 d/KH

Thanks, please let me know what's wrong

I also have a nanocube...6 gal though. I would reconsider putting your rocks so close to the glass. Once algae starts to grow you won't be able to get a scrubber pad down on the glass because the rocks are too close. Also it's nice to be able to put stuff in the sand bed in front of the rocks. I don't know if I would be doing too much to the water chemistry so soon before your tank has cycled. Let it sit and settle down...you will see some changes in water chemistry as it settles down.

I also have a nanocube...6 gal though. I would reconsider putting your rocks so close to the glass. Once algae starts to grow you won't be able to get a scrubber pad down on the glass because the rocks are too close. Also it's nice to be able to put stuff in the sand bed in front of the rocks. I don't know if I would be doing too much to the water chemistry so soon before your tank has cycled. Let it sit and settle down...you will see some changes in water chemistry as it settles down.

Thanks fishtooth.

Yeah before I constructed the rock setup, I made sure each side of the glass had room for the glassmagnet cleaner to fit. That is also a good point about putting stuff down in front of the rocks on the sand, Im thinking if i ran out of room I would remove the rock that is sitting in the middle. Also, the first worm that I saw died, is that normal?

I kinda reshaped the aquasetting today, because some parts didnt seem too stable, however it may not even be noticable. (except for the new cave/tunnel in the front)

P0081.jpg

P0082.jpg

P0083.jpg

Hey everyone tonight I decided to take out the flashlight and check out the tank. My sponge was being eaten by a bunch of very very tiny clear things...I could actually see them moving with the AID of a flashlight. They were very tiny, white/clearish. They seem to be eating down the encrusted sponge...Is this normal? or what could these little things possibly be? good or bad? Thanks

Hey everyone tonight I decided to take out the flashlight and check out the tank. My sponge was being eaten by a bunch of very very tiny clear things...I could actually see them moving with the AID of a flashlight. They were very tiny, white/clearish. They seem to be eating down the encrusted sponge...Is this normal? or what could these little things possibly be? good or bad? Thanks

If you type in the search engine 'identification' there should be a thread that pops up that says, "look here before you ask,' what's this?'..." click on the thread and it will have all sorts of pictures of sea life that are normal and what they do for the tank. It really helped me out when I saw some weird stuff walking around in my tank.

They seem to be very very tiny bugs, ALOT of them also surrounded/eating the encrusting sponge and bunch are on the right side and back of the tank wall. I tried getting a photo however they are so tiny you cant even see it in the photo. With a flashlight and a small microscope,I checked the ones that seems to be crawling around on the right side of the glass...

it seems as they are clear/whitish in color, and they seem to have a tail and 2 antennas??? any ideas? thanks everyone. Sorry the photo isnt clear, I tried to video record it.

P0086.jpg

th_P0087.jpg

Update edit:

Its hard to tell what they are unless I use a magnifying glass, I believe they are Copepods, I hope... Theres a bunch of them on the side and some on the front of the tank.

Something seems to be going on with my rock...can anyone please let me know whats going on??

DSC08760.jpg

DSC08761.jpg

DSC08751.jpg

that white stuff? I believe it's a type of sponge. Don't fret you're fine.

does the white stuff move? Or is it stay in the same place? It looks like a sponge to me. Copepods are little creatures that move around in the tank. The stuff in your picture looks like it's oozed onto the rock...has it moved?

does the white stuff move? Or is it stay in the same place? It looks like a sponge to me. Copepods are little creatures that move around in the tank. The stuff in your picture looks like it's oozed onto the rock...has it moved?

Nope, I haven't seen it move yet. I dont think that was even there when I first recieved the rocks. I believe it just devolped during the cycle...

YAY! :D BOTH of my packages arrived today, however my package that was suppose to be here tomorrow(drf&s) had a problem.

Bad News: The tap water filter from Dr Foster and Smith was broken when I opened it up. I was looking for the piece that broke off, however it was no where to be found. The box itself wasnt even taped up, Nice job Dr foster and Smith, I WILL NEVER EVER make another purchase from them. I highly suggest you leave them alone.

Just curious why you would buy eleventy billion dollars worth of stuff then get a $30 "tap water filter". Did you even try to contact Dr. Fostersmith about the problem before you started bashing them? I know that all the delivery companies baby packages so well but perhaps they are to blame. I have always had luck with Dr. FS and most people have had any problems resolved very quickly. I am sure they would have sent you a new one instead of having to use duct tape. Yes I read your RO article.

I have to disagree about Fosters and Smith. I got a CO2 infusion system from them and a month or two later my bubble counter broke. I called them to see about sending it back for a new one and they were super nice...sending me a brand new one without wanting the old one back, it was only worth about $15 so they said not to worry about it.

Call them and see if they can sort it out before bashing them on a public forum.

Olivia

I didnt mean to bash on them, Actually Dr F & S customer service is quality. They offered to send me another filter with overnight shipping, free of charge. So they are recommended, sorry about that. The first purchase from them just wasn't a good, first impression. I believe it could not be from shipping, otherwise my other stuff that were more fragile would of broke also. However, In the end of it all, they seem like a top quality supplier with quality customer service.

UPDATE:(1 week cycle)

I have a bunch of brown stuff all over my rocks(diatoms?) and the copepods are everywhere!!

Salt. - 1.023

PH - 7.5

Temp - 79

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrates - 0

Phosphate - 0

Cal. - 380

ALK/KH - 11 d/KH

Been one week now and all ammonia,nitrite and nitrates are still at 0. although day 1 ammonia was .1-.5, and ever since day 3, all were at 0. These rocks I believe were also cured...you think the cycle has been done and maybe in a week CUC? I dont want the brown stuff going insane and the algae.

Heres what I was thinking of for the CUC:

2 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Caribbean)

2 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Eastern Asia)

6 Nassarius Snail, Eastern Pacific

4 Nerite Snail (Pacific)

1 Emerald Mithrax Crab

Medium Fancy Empty Hermit Crab Shells

What do you think?

Archived