Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cutting Up Starfish

johnmaloney

We have all heard that starfish regenerate, and in some cases duplicate, if they are cut into two, or three, etc... Has anyone ever done this successfully? I mean successfully created two starfish by cutting one? I don't plan on doing it, just curious to see if it is true or not.

well any sea star "should" be able to completely regenerate itself if a significant portion of the central disk is still attached. if you just cut off an arm, it wont work. that said, it would still be amazingly irresponsible of any reefer to deliberately try this... pointlessly cruel imo. In most tanks, most stars would probably die anyways. The hardiest ones would probably do fine though (im thinking of brittle stars in particular). For others like linckia or fromias, it would probably be a death sentence.

I wouldnt try but in my opinion cutting mushrooms in half is probably the same thing and no1 thinks its cruel?

no it isn't the same thing. the shrooms survive and recover just fine 95% of the time dont they? I said dont do it with the star because it would likely just kill the star outright.

muahahahaha

a friend was over yesterday... "do your plants move like that or is it the water?"

"it's the water... and they're not plants."

so should we not feed harliquin shrimp because thery eat star fish ?

That is a completely different case. Harlequin shrimp eat nothing but stars. period. we could stop feeding them stars, but then we would be starving the shrimp. Is that any better?

a mushroom is a coral, a starfish is an animal.

do you not know the difference?

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Where's the duct tape? I NEED DUCT TAPE!!!

I have an asterina and want more... what should I do?

If it's an asterina starfish it will multiply quickly .. without you having to do anything to promote this !!! :)

i have a hypothetical question, that i had been thinking about when i first learned that harlequin shrimp only ate starfish... or sea stars as they are now called.

if you kept one of these shrimp, is there a way to propagate (or some other way to breed) starfish to have a constant food supply for your shrimp.

Or should we just not keep these shrimp in captivity in the first place.

though the original post was not in terms with the harlequin shrimp, i think the same point is here.

I hope I don't sound like an idiot this is purely a question to broaden my understanding,

:)

thanks

EDIT

Oh and will harlequin eat asterina? because on the website i was looking at (of course it was a online fish store) it said that linkia and (i cant remember but possibly it said also fromia) would suffice for the diet of the shrimp. but i wouldnt know why someone would want to feed such beautful seastars to the shrimp

so then if they do eat the asterina then i guess the above "EDIT" is void. though its still interesting to think about and would hopefully recieve answers to

If it's an asterina starfish it will multiply quickly .. without you having to do anything to promote this !!! :)

do they reproduce on their own? without a partner?

Sure do, they reproduce asexually by dropping limbs.

I'm waiting on my asterina to start reproducing. I would like to have a bunch of them in my tank eventually...

As far as the rest of this thread goes... omgomgomgomgomgomg

Archived