Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Holey Via Aqua" - Update (Good and TERRIBLE)

littlec

(I apologize in advance for the length, I am partially venting)

Well, it's been a liitle while since I posted an update on my 18 gallon Via Aqua. Overall, the tank has progressed according to plan and I have been pleased with the additions/changes over the past 5 months (EXCEPT THE EVENTS OF THE LAST 5 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!).

In the way of background, remember that this tank was set up in mid February with LR, LS and 10 gallons of water from the 100gallon FOWLR tank that I was tearing down at the time. The 100g tank had been set up for approximately 1 year.

Let me start off with the tragic turn of events of the past weekend. While I was away frolicking for the 4th of July weekend (63 Hours: Friday 10 am - Monday 1 am) my tank must have practically boiled! I know that the temps here in the DC area got up around 90 (let's say 89-93). Well, combine those temps with the fact that SOMEONE turned off the AC AND my tank is on the third level of a 3 level townhouse and disaster probably didn't take long to play out. (I did leave the small fan on top of the tank on the enitre time, but I guess it just wasn't enough.) Bottom line: my 6 line wrasse, clarkii clown and coral banded shrimp (each 1yr + old, taken from the 100g hat I tore down), along with my fire shrimp, sally lightfoot crab, and a couple of new snails ALL DIED.

IMO, It must have been the heat since the salinity had only gone changed slightly and all other parameters were just as I left them on my departure. The funny thing is all of the corals look fine! (I thought fish were tougher than corals!)

Anyway, here's the update...

1. April - I added a 150W DE/HQI halide Aquastarlight pendant to the tank. I ended up having to "customize" the pendant since I bought it used without realizing that it was too wide for the space where my tank sits. Conveniently, I was able to place the pendant on the legs that came with the original Via Aqua lights.

2. Also in April (same time as the new lights) I added a purple(ish) maxima. The ability to have clams was the primary motivator behind getting the lights!

3. May - Added a gold Maxima, a Xenia frag that was immediately eaten by my emerald crab, and a zoanthid rock that I just recently removed because it was an algea magnet.

4. End of May - added a yellow leather, candy cane coral, fire shrimp and some red mushrooms.

5. Early June - Added red open brain coral, some new zoanthids and THREE NEW CLAMS (one green, one blue, one greenish blue). (Note, all the clams were acquired from a local reefer. These last 3 clams were actually part of a trade for the 100g set up that I had prior to this nano.

6. July (just a couple of days before the dreaded fourth of July weekend I added the sally lightfoot some blue leg hermits, and some "crown top" snails.

So there you have it. As I said at the beginning of the post, I am basically pleased with the way things have gone. (Except the losses obviously.) Over the past day or two I have narrowed down my choices for new fish to replace my fallen friends. I am currently thinkg about adding a Rainford's (aka Court Jester) Goby, Possum Wrasse, royal gramma, sally lightfoot, and fire shrimp.

What do you all think?

Full Tank - March 2003

LinkPhoto?GUID=3d365c1b-4c27-6a97-4216-3c2f493f2720&size=lg

Full Tank - July 10, 2003

LinkPhoto?GUID=4a4620a8-b468-4c00-1ffd-5115277b461c&size=lg

The corals and the clams look good. I love that tank. I wish I could get one in one piece.

Have a question about where you bought the tank. Did you get it locally or online and what store was it?

I bought one this past april but when I recieved it was damaged. Damn UPS. :angry: I just got my refund back but the store that I purchased from no longer selling tanks. I got it at a deal for 160 shipped.

killrblue,

Wow, you did get good deal!

I purchased my tank at Congressional Aquarium in Rockville. I paid $150 plus tax - which was also a good deal :D. This was several months ago and I'm not sure that they still sell them, let alone for $150. I go there every 2 months or so to buy my salt and some dry goods (50 gallon bags of IO are only 9.99) but I have only seen the 11 gallon Via Aquas the last couple of times I was there.

Thanks for the compliments on the corals and clams.

Where online/mailorder can I get this tank? Also, I thought the biggest Via Aqua tank(LV 418(w)) shaped like that was about 15 gallons, not 18. It's dimensions are L:15" X W:13.5" X H:17.75". What are the dimensions of this tank? Thanks,

Scott

There is also a 21 gallon, Via Aqua LV 780, I believe that is the correct model number. This was the tank I wanted to get but would had to wait 3 months since it just came out. I heard there are also plans of having tanks at higher capacities.

AsahiToro-

The dimensions of the 18 gallon tank are 19.5L x 13.25W x 18.25H. The only online/mailorder source that I'm aware of is customquatic or commidityaxis.com

killrblue -

I did hear about th 21 gallon tank but it wasn't available at the time that I purchased. I proabably would have gotten it if the price was right...oh well

Archived