Cultivated Reef

DEKAND's 34g Solana Diary/Build-up

dekand

This tank sprung a leak after almost 4 years on 1/10/12, it has been upgraded since to a 65 Gallon Rimless and that thread you can read here http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=306451

--------------------------------------------------

Ok so I'm about as new as they come to this hobby, my brother and father have been into it for quite some time so I figured now that I've got my own place it was time to join in the fun. I picked up a 34g Solana, unfortunately I don't have pics of putting it all together, as it was done for me at the store. I have learned a ton from these forums already and look forward to continuing to learn and get into this hobby. I am enjoying my tank already with nothing but live rock! So I'm looking forward to the building process...

Anyways as of right now everything is stock aside from a Koralia Nano (will be adding another bigger one soon, 1 or 2? any suggestions?), the PC light is what came with it but I should be picking up a 150w Sunpod today, i'm not sure whether I want to hang it from the ceiling or just mount it, but i'm leaning towards hanging it, any suggestions on height above the water? I don't want to keep the glass top on if i don't have to as I prefer it without it.

I do believe aquascaping is an addiction, I have gone through so many configurations its ridiculous but I'm pretty happy with this last one so I think i'll be sticking with it, let me know what you guys think.

As i've said i'm new and still have a lot to learn, fortunately i have a brother and father who are well versed in this stuff and a great forum to expand that knowledge, so thank you in advance for any help you guys give me it's always appreciated...

On to the pics:

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

web-1.jpg

web.jpg

So hopefully it'll cycle soon and I can get a CUC in there and have something that moves to look at for a while... I'll keep this updated as best I can!

-Dustin

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 20" 150w Sunpod came in so I got that installed, if anyones interested in buying the Hanging PC light for the Solana let me know, i'll probably post it on the for sale here soon...

I love the Sunpod, still unsure on hanging it or leaving it as is, we'll see, anyways pic:

IMG_3877.jpg

web-2.jpg

I just wanted to say I love the rock work and what you've done. Looks really nice, sorry I can't help you with the CUC. :P

What type LR is it?

Thanks for the compliments J-Aqua, the live rock is Fiji and i've got about 33lbs or so of it.

The rock work does look good, and I agree it is frustrating how addicting it can be. Get it right and be happy with it from the beginning, because once you get coral in, and it starts growing, it will be very difficult to re-arrange.

I had 15 cerith, 3 astrea, 3 trochus. and 15 nassarius snails in my old BC14, and they keep my glass and rock squeaky clean. I recently upgraded to a 20g long + 5g fuge, and added 12 more nassarius and 12 margarita snails. I'd say a combination of nassarius + cerith + trochus is enough, I just got my margaritas yesterday so no comment on them yet.

I would avoid hermits because my old ones tried to take out my snails, no. 1 rule in my tank: Thou shall not kill!

I had 15 cerith, 3 astrea, 3 trochus. and 15 nassarius snails in my old BC14, and they keep my glass and rock squeaky clean. I recently upgraded to a 20g long + 5g fuge, and added 12 more nassarius and 12 margarita snails. I'd say a combination of nassarius + cerith + trochus is enough, I just got my margaritas yesterday so no comment on them yet.

I would avoid hermits because my old ones tried to take out my snails, no. 1 rule in my tank: Thou shall not kill!

yeah from what i've been reading the ceriths, astrea's, and nassurius's are good except the the astreas can't right themselves so you dont want too many... i was planning on hermit or 2 but after reading how they kill the snails i'll pass... i want this tank to be a pretty friendly tank :)

So i noticed this little thing on one of my live rocks and thought id ask you guys if you knew if a: it was anything, and b: if so what is it...

whats-this.jpg

Not sure about the above, but as far as the light I would hang it. That way if you wanna get in the tank it is really easy to put it up out of the way. Plus it looks nice. And a lot easier to acclimate corals.

So i noticed this little thing on one of my live rocks and thought id ask you guys if you knew if a: it was anything, and b: if so what is it...

whats-this.jpg

Are those read things in multiple places? They are on my rock as well. Never really did anything except exist haha. And they haven't been a noticeable problem.

Are those read things in multiple places? They are on my rock as well. Never really did anything except exist haha. And they haven't been a noticeable problem.

Well i've got the little red spots as you can see to the left of it on a lot of rocks, but this is the only "cluster" thats not just a spot on a rock....

Sweet tank mate! And great rock work!

As to a CUC... As I am the local booster for urchins and other oddities go with a Tuxedo Urchin and an abalone! Worth at least 5-6 normal CUC members each! And they are very cool to watch.

UH

FyrFighter2004

Good looking tank, its good to see someone from my area on here. I was beginning to think I was all alone. What lfs are you going to?

Good looking tank, its good to see someone from my area on here. I was beginning to think I was all alone. What lfs are you going to?

Hey man good to see someone from 'round here too! Thanks for the compliment. Actually my "local fish store" is owned and operated by my family, its Rift 2 Reef Aquatics in Lewisville on 407, have you heard of it?

I am trying to learn as much as I can through forums and other internet sources without bugging my older brother (he runs the store) too much :P but if it weren't for them I may have never found out how much I like this hobby!

** Update ** I couldn't resist changing the rock a little, a part of it was bugging me and i wanted to push it all back to make more room in front for the future to place things on the sand... but i think this will be the last modification.

I tested the water yesterday and all the parameters were good to go so i'm just waiting for the next shipment to come to the store to get some CUC members. We have these really cool Black/White juvenile clowns and I'm SO tempted to get a pair but i am going to wait a little while after i get a CUC to get fish, hopefully no one buys them ;)

IMG_3897.jpg

FyrFighter2004
Hey man good to see someone from 'round here too! Thanks for the compliment. Actually my "local fish store" is owned and operated by my family, its Rift 2 Reef Aquatics in Lewisville on 407, have you heard of it?

I am trying to learn as much as I can through forums and other internet sources without bugging my older brother (he runs the store) too much :P but if it weren't for them I may have never found out how much I like this hobby!

** Update ** I couldn't resist changing the rock a little, a part of it was bugging me and i wanted to push it all back to make more room in front for the future to place things on the sand... but i think this will be the last modification.

I tested the water yesterday and all the parameters were good to go so i'm just waiting for the next shipment to come to the store to get some CUC members. We have these really cool Black/White juvenile clowns and I'm SO tempted to get a pair but i am going to wait a little while after i get a CUC to get fish, hopefully no one buys them ;)

img3894ae7.jpg

HAHA thats crazy, I'm there all the time. Literally. Ive been talking to Dane about working there a little during the week.

HAHA thats crazy, I'm there all the time. Literally. Ive been talking to Dane about working there a little during the week.

Haha awesome, well it's a small world and this little community is an even smaller one... What's your name? Hope to see you in the store sometime!

dailydriven911
Haha awesome, well it's a small world and this little community is an even smaller one... What's your name? Hope to see you in the store sometime!

Tank looks awesome I like your aquascape looks natural...

Tank looks awesome I like your aquascape looks natural...

Thanks man! I really just didn't want it to look like a pile of rocks, i have about 3-4 key pieces that i wanted to showcase and it took forever to figure out how but i finally did...

So he doesn't have a name yet, but here's one of the first (besides some margarita snails) inhabitants of my reef... The Lawnmower Blenny. He's still being kind of shy but fun to watch when he's eating, and has found more holes to go into then I thought possible...

web-8.jpg

web-7.jpg

He's finally gotten used to his new home and is ok with me being around and taking pictures so heres another one of the whole little guy...

IMG_3968.jpg

Still learning the art of aquarium photography so thats my excuse for posting more pictures :)

I really gotta name this guy, but he was sitting there staring at his reflection and his colors got really dark so i thought id snap a few shots, and 2 of my turbo snails were racing, so i had to snap that as well haha...

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

Oh the art of drafting, i think i'll name them Shake and Bake.... lol

IMG_3984.jpg

Archived