Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Odd looking crab

bleuH2O

I was looking at my tank and lurking inside the rocks was this odd looking crab. Unfortunately,I don't have a photo of it. I only caught a glimpse of it for a about 5 seconds. It was a thin, furry, white all over , with brown tipped pinchers. It was big too. Probably 1.5 inches. I've had my Biocube 14 for over seven months and never noticed it until now. Probably a hitchhiker in my live rock. I found two of my hermit crabs dead in the tank last month. I'm wondering if this furry crab preyed on them. I hope this is not a predatory crab. If so, how do I catch it? I hope it's not what I think it is. TIA!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
controlsreefer

mine its a 240 gallon FOWLR ocean tank with a banded coral cat, cortez ray, 2 puffers, wobegon shark, peacoak flounder,trumpetfish, spadefish, spotted moray , great barracuda and spotted drum

Thanks Controlsreefer. The crab I saw in my tank looks similiar to this, except the crab's body is rounder and the pinchers were very thin and brown.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/cru...es/Image43.html

Cute looking crab, but I'm not going to take a chance with it preying on my last electric blue hermit crab or my fish and corals.

I'm going to try to trap it in a water bottle, with shrimp as bait. I'm going to take a picture of it. If I can catch it, maybe one of you guys can ID this crab. Wish me luck.

I too have a mystery crab that hides in a hole in a live rock. Very shy and reclusive. Looking through that crab gallery I'm beginning to think it might be a Xanthid crab. This would probably explain the sudden decimation of my yellow-orange zoa colony which happens to be close to the hole the crab hides in. All this time I've been putting the blame on my blue leg hermits for climbing and trampling over them constantly.

What would be the best way to trap it? I know a lot of people do the simple bait in a glass but I don't want my hermits falling into the trap too.

supreme_spork
Oh because I saw the same tank in a house for sale in North Carolina

link To the house for sale by a guy named Phillip.

OUCH. :slap:

and... that's the last we'll see of controlsreefer.

supreme_spork
I wasn't trying to be an arse. I just knew I saw that tank before.

honesty is important, so i fully support this. if someone ever takes this guy's advice based on his proven success, then that success should be real and not imagined.

honesty is important, so i fully support this. if someone ever takes this guy's advice based on his proven success, then that success should be real and not imagined.

Also, I'm not saying that what he did was completely uncalled for or unnecessary, it just proves the fact that honesty is really important. Lol

supreme_spork
Also, I'm not saying that what he did was completely uncalled for or unnecessary, it just proves the fact that honesty is really important. Lol

it's tough to fake it in the age of global interweb. B)

Try shopping for a house in LA, I'm seriously thinking of ditching a kidney... just kidding, I can't believe someone pimped a stock photo of a tank.

Archived