Coral Vue Hydros

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

Sorry to hear that the other one may be on the way out as well. You are definitely in no way an unfit reefer....like you said, they were thriving and everything else in your tank is stunning. Just one little mistake. At least it was a mistake like that instead of something that you were doing wrong chemistry-wise.

Let me know if you want the gold maxima that you gave me back....it might just make you feel better :)

On another note, how are all of your other corals doing? Since I haven't seen your tank in probably a month, I would love to see some more pics of your SPS frags. You have some stunners in there and should be really proud of the growth you get....I get very little in my tank for some reason.

Also, I will have to check this out when we meet up but how do you have your kalk setup? I thought that you had the Tunze Osmolator adding it via a drip line but I can't remember. How did you know how much to drip and how much kalk to have in the reservoir? I know you have the RK Jr./AC Jr. so I'm assuming you have it hooked up so that if the pH gets too high it cuts off. I have started dosing two part every day instead of every other day so that I can maybe get more consistent Ca/Alk levels to help with growth. Instead of dosing 10mL daily, I just put 5 and 5 every day.

Thanks Adam - and no, I don't want another clam! :) I lost my final one last night and I'm still pouting and licking my wounds...

The SPS is really growing and the monti's are spreading onto the live rock. I'll take some pics in the next day or two. My "little mistake" certainly didn't hurt the SPS!

Yes, I have the tunze calcium dispensor and it works in conjunction with the ATO. It's not a drip, but a standard ATO. I started with the minimum amount of calcium solution and slowly worked my way up to find the right amount to use. I simply change it weekly when I do a water change. High PH has NEVER been an issue with my tank, it's always low - in fact, I struggle to keep it up! I still use the two part, but only 2-3 times weekly.

I'm shopping for more SPS but not really sure what I want yet. I'm being very selective since real estate is a premium now. Let me know if you run across any sales or someone selling some really nice pieces.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you that have been following my thread, you know about my water change fiasco. Although it wiped out ALL my clams, it certainly didn't hurt my SPS. I'm seeing a lot of growth lately so I thought I'd share some updated pics. I need to do a much better job of naming/identifying my corals - if you identify any, please let me know...

Neon Yellowish Greenish Acro

SPS-1.jpg

Deep water Something from Bag O Crap Sale

SPS-10.jpg

Unidentified - from Bag O Crap Sale (one of my favorites)

SPS-11.jpg

?

SPS-12.jpg

Here's more....

Purple Monti Cap

SPS-13.jpg

?

SPS-14.jpg

Rainbow Monti - Front

SPS-15.jpg

Rainbow Monti - Back (it's spreading fast)

SPS-16.jpg

and more...

Acropora Hoeksemai

SPS-17.jpg

?

SPS-18.jpg

Orange Monti Cap

SPS-19.jpg

Pink Milli

SPS-2.jpg

and more...

Another Deep Water Something

SPS-3.jpg

Pink Bird's Nest

SPS-4.jpg

Sunrise Monti

SPS-5.jpg

Acro Tort - Blue Tipped

SPS-6.jpg

and finally...

Pocillopora

SPS-7.jpg

?

SPS-8.jpg

Superman Monti (colors are much more blue and red than pic shows)

SPS-9.jpg

oh my fraggin gosh!

How do you glue yoru frags to the rock so well Karen? They look so natural as if those bad boys came in on the rock!!!

Did you use StevieT's (i think it was his) method? If so, you make it look better lol. Keep the pics coming! your tank is just great.

great pics..thanks for posting

what camera are you using?

glad to see everything else doing so well

WOW Karen....your stonies look incredible. I can't believe the amount of growth that you've gotten even since the last time I was there. You're definitely doing more than something right.

All of them have great coloration, polyp extension, and growth. Great job and beautiful pictures.

If I can remember right, Karen has the Canon Rebel XT....sweet camera no doubt.

Look forward to seeing your tank when I come and pick up my dry goods.

airman_verde04

woot woot! well, I was just checking in, sorry you lost all your clams, what a bummer. If you want! I can frag off this brown and pink xeina I have, I dont like him, I want to get rid of it since all my other Xeina are a clean pink color, I just dont know how to frag him off, I'm thinking of letting him grow and giving it away when I do it. anyways, tank visit!! sounds like fun!

all those stonies looks awesome!! I like the monti cap and the green grass looking thing that is unidentified. I cant wait to see you tank! Melisa and I have only seen the large tanks in at TL and at a aquatic import. Does Adam live on your side of town also?

Hey David....you will be amazed when you see Karen's tank. Don't let her fool you otherwise :) Definitely blows the tanks at TL and Aquatic Imports out of the water.

I live over in West Ashley close to downtown.

airman_verde04

oh ok! woah. its like the charleston nano-reefer triangle with us.. we're on 3 different sides of town.. hehe

How do you glue yoru frags to the rock so well Karen? They look so natural as if those bad boys came in on the rock!!!

Did you use StevieT's (i think it was his) method? If so, you make it look better lol. Keep the pics coming! your tank is just great.

Thanks Tony - they were all hitchhikers on the live rock - ha ha, just kidding. I use super glue. It works well and covers with coralline quickly. Now, if I have to ever move the rock, I'm in BIG trouble!

great pics..thanks for posting

what camera are you using?

glad to see everything else doing so well

Thanks Tudizzle! Like Dive said, I'm using a Canon Rebel XT with a macro lens. He tought me how to take decent pics - he's the expert!

WOW Karen....your stonies look incredible. I can't believe the amount of growth that you've gotten even since the last time I was there. You're definitely doing more than something right.

All of them have great coloration, polyp extension, and growth. Great job and beautiful pictures.

If I can remember right, Karen has the Canon Rebel XT....sweet camera no doubt.

Look forward to seeing your tank when I come and pick up my dry goods.

Told ya they were growing! I just wish I knew what to contribute it to so I could keep on doing it! Our order should be here tomorrow. I've give you a heads up when it arrives.

woot woot! well, I was just checking in, sorry you lost all your clams, what a bummer. If you want! I can frag off this brown and pink xeina I have, I dont like him, I want to get rid of it since all my other Xeina are a clean pink color, I just dont know how to frag him off, I'm thinking of letting him grow and giving it away when I do it. anyways, tank visit!! sounds like fun!

all those stonies looks awesome!! I like the monti cap and the green grass looking thing that is unidentified. I cant wait to see you tank! Melisa and I have only seen the large tanks in at TL and at a aquatic import. Does Adam live on your side of town also?

Thanks David! I've been following your thread and yours is really coming along well also! Let's plan a triangle get-together at my house if you want. I've got some down time coming up next week so just let me know what your schedules looks like for the 27th-29th.

airman_verde04

sure thing! I'll look and see whats going on those days, eh, just looking in my tank again, dang on xeina trying to take claim over there rock, I need to get that zoo polopy moved soon, but aside of that, your right! I just looked today and the two large rocks that make the arch in the middle of my tank are already showing signs of coralline build up! anyhoo, If anything, I think next friday might work, I'll have to talk to my boss and see if I can get out of work eairly that day. since I work 3-11.

I've received a few PMs related to the recent growth of my SPS frags, specifically, what I'm doing different. I thought I'd post my response on my thread so that others can benefit.

What I'm doing different is - well, nothing! :P I did change my salt recently from Tropic Marin to Red Sea Coral Pro. I really like the higher calcium level in RSCP because I don't have to dose 2-part solutions as much. However, the Mg is way low so I'm not too happy about that.

I found a new salt that, apparently, no one has much experience with yet. It's D-D H2Ocean Pro. It appears to take all the best of RSCP, but with higher levels of Mg. Salt is a funny thing - what works for one tank does not necessarily work for others. If this salt gives me the same results as RSCP but with elevated levels of Mg, then I'll be a happy camper...

airman_verde04

Hey Karen, hope your having a better week this week! it sure sounds it since your tank is thriving with such pretty coral like in your pictures above.. anyhoo, so I'm going to talk to my boss tomorrow about Friday, are we going to still be able to get together?? I hope Adam is planning on coming too!

airman_verde04

well. I got short ended today, so I have to work tomorrow night.. but maybe before 2 on saturday.. or sunday..

well. I got short ended today, so I have to work tomorrow night.. but maybe before 2 on saturday.. or sunday..

Hey David - sorry so late in responding. I was actually waiting to see if I felt better. I've just been so tired - no energy, sore throat, headache, etc. and it just won't go away. More antibiotics today so maybe the second round will help. Doc had me go by the office today for a mono test - yikes, I hope that's not what it is! Anyway, I hope you don't mind if I take a raincheck...

Any new pics Karen ;)

Funny you mention that - I do have new pics! I just need to upload them and I can't seem to find the energy. I'll definitely get them uploaded tomorrow or Saturday. ;)

airman_verde04
Hey David - sorry so late in responding. I was actually waiting to see if I felt better. I've just been so tired - no energy, sore throat, headache, etc. and it just won't go away. More antibiotics today so maybe the second round will help. Doc had me go by the office today for a mono test - yikes, I hope that's not what it is! Anyway, I hope you don't mind if I take a raincheck...

yeah, I got forced into working tomorrow night all night now.. I really hope you feel better.. I get so frustrated sometimes (dont take this personal, just random) Melisa, if shes sick, tired, or hungry, she cant do anything but what she needs at the time (rest, meds, food) and for whatever reason, I can keep going and going and going, I sometimes don't understand why she cant either, but not everyone is.. well, alittle bit crazy I guess. I went 2 weeks without tell my drill Sargent i was sick with a high fever in boot camp..didn't want to have to stick around any longer than I had too. anyways.. that was random.. feel better!!! we will have to try again after the 4th (we leave for vacation next week.. Monday the 7th might work.. or this sunday afternoon.. ONLY!! If you feel better!! haha.. we get so bored in this town.. so we're always up for something last minute..

I thought I'd share some new pics since I'm feeling MUCH better. Divecj5 came over and, lucky me, brought his camera with him! He has amazing photo skills so I'm always happy to see him toting his camera. :). He's a great friend and a great reefer - I'm lucky to live so close to him!

CRW_7389.jpg

CRW_7386.jpg

CRW_7364.jpg

CRW_7378.jpg

CRW_7385.jpg

CRW_7360.jpg

CRW_7371.jpg

airman_verde04

such great pictures!! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.. hope you have a good forth, Melisa and I are packing to go on a little road trip.. I hope we can plan something after this weekend!

Nice pics Karen ;) They look a little more washed out posted than they do in full res....just one downsize of photobucket is that they cut down the resolution so much.

Have a great 4th :happydance:

Nice pics Karen ;) They look a little more washed out posted than they do in full res....just one downsize of photobucket is that they cut down the resolution so much.

Have a great 4th :happydance:

Yeah, the colors didn't show up as well as in the high res, but they still look great. Btw, I justed switched to the new D-D H2Ocean Pro salt and so far so good. It tested out really well, right on with their claims except a little higher in calcium (420). As you know, I really liked the Red Sea Coral Pro except for the fact that is had really low Mg. The D-D H2Ocean is basically the same but with a little more Ca and much more Mg. I'll do my second water change with it this weekend.

I also have the Tunze 9002 coming this week. StevieT made me a collection cup that would allow it to fit in the first chamber of the Solana so I'm excited to see how that works. Nothing else new with the tank - just still trying to decide what to put on the bottom middle rock. I guess I'll go with some really colorful rics.

airman_verde04

Hey Karen, just wanted to say hi!! Melisa and I got back super late (or early this morning) from DC, poor thing had to work today, she will be passing out shortly after getting home today I'm sure. hope we all can finaly meet soon!! have a good week!

Archived