Pod Your Reef

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

airman_verde04
Hey David - yes, I have the Phoenix 14K 250W as Adam said. I really like that bulb and the colors that it brings out in the corals.

I used to go to the Charleston meetings prior to the local reefer club fiasco - I'll fill you in sometime. How's your tank coming along? I've been on vacation (still am) so I haven't been following your thread lately. I'm heading back out of town this weekend and will be back next Wednesday. We'll have to meet up with Adam and have our own meeting.

Karen

hmm, I like that idea, I completely understand the club drama! besides, I'm sure most of those folks have super big tanks anyways. but meeting up would be awesome! I'm off till 2pm everyday, and off Sun-mon, Melisa has the weekends off. maybe we can meet next weekend after you get back! on sunday or maybe monday afternoon.

but about lighting, ya know, I was going to look into it, if their were some different bulbs for my light that gave it alittle bit more of a blue hue to the color.. but if not, it wont ruin my fun.. I'm going to wait a good bit before I worry to much about any major upgrades. I

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am out of town right now as well but that would be awesome to all get together and maybe get our own nano club together...even if its the three of us keepers for now :)

airman_verde04
I am out of town right now as well but that would be awesome to all get together and maybe get our own nano club together...even if its the three of us keepers for now :)

no worries! when you get back into town for sure! I'm not feeling at great of a keeper, more of a failure.. haha, at least today, my tank is possessed by algae (not to much, its just not pretty to look at) , and my poor shrimp is traumatized, she wont come out and play for my wife. ugg.. I don't think these are major problems to worry about, but I was a bit down. oh well, I'm going to go pick up a few more snails since they are on sales at tideline, I only had 5, maybe 5 more will start working on the algae..

Hey Karen...glad to hear that you are back from work and vacation. How is everything in the tank? Get any goodies from Weetie?

Hey Karen...glad to hear that you are back from work and vacation. How is everything in the tank? Get any goodies from Weetie?

I TRIED to give her stuff, but no go!!!

The visit was wonderful, but rushed and chaotic as well (mostly due to my two little boys! They're CRAZY and they really liked her!!).

Maybe I'll get her to take some stuff next time.

Karen, I had forgotten how beautiful your tank was, I'm feeling kinda insignificant now! :blush:

Vacation was great! My brother's wedding was simply beautiful and it was nice being home and seeing friends and family. I brought my Mom back home with me and she spent the week here in Charleston. We had a great time - as always. She is my best friend and it was great just having time to spend with her.

I took Mom back to Knoxville on Monday since I had a meeting to attend. That was when I had the chance to meet Weetie. She is a wonderful person and her tanks are incredible. She really knows her stuff and I can't wait to see her new tank once she gets it up and running.

As for my tank, it's doing well. My husband took good care of it while I was gone. I actually think he's starting to enjoy the hobby. :) I missed my first weekly water change but it seems to be doing better so maybe I'll miss a few more - :D

I lost the small beautiful clam I got from Zoanuts before I left to go on vacation, but the other is doing fine. When I received it, the byssus foot thingy was floating in the bag (not the small strands but the larger thick white thingy). It was alive and seemed to do fine for a couple of days but died during the night and the snails cleaned it quickly. I haven't decided if I'm going to replace it or not since I saw something in Weetie's tank that I REALLY like. It's a carpet anemone. I'm going to read up on it tonight to decide if it's right for my tank.

I didn't bring anything home from Weetie's although she tried really hard to send some goodies with me. I hope to visit her again when I'm back in town and, hopefully, won't leave empty handed! fingerscrossed

I TRIED to give her stuff, but no go!!!

The visit was wonderful, but rushed and chaotic as well (mostly due to my two little boys! They're CRAZY and they really liked her!!).

Maybe I'll get her to take some stuff next time.

Karen, I had forgotten how beautiful your tank was, I'm feeling kinda insignificant now! :blush:

Hey, those boys are just my style! As I said, I have 3 nieces and 4 great nieces so it was refreshing to spend some time with boys.

Thanks so much for the compliment on my tank! But don't feel insignificant, you're my inspiration!!!!

airman_verde04

Sounds like you had an action packed adventure! Melisa and I stop by Knoxville to go to the mall there when we were on our honeymoon in Pigeons forge. we actually went to the aquarium there, but it really stunk bad.. haha.. random.

Oh my gosh - I've been so busy with vacation that I did not realize my tank hit the 6 month mark! Yippie, I can now be part of frag swaps!!!! Think I'll go shopping for a new coral to celebrate...... :D

Congrats Karen!!!! Time really flies in our little reefs.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the clam that you got....was it one of the ones from Zoanuts? Did you let them know about it? Just curious since you said that it didn't look to hot when you got it. I know they are pretty good about replacing things like that.

What sort of coral are you planning to shop for? I am starting to get the itch for a new coral or two. I have something worked up with nUgZ for some corals maybe later this month. A Milli, an Acro, and another Monti.

Carolinapico

I'm just getting around to checking this tank out, saw these other 2 Charleston folks talking about it so i had to pop in. ;) Tank looks great, love your corals they are looking great. Sorry to hear about your clam, that was an awesome looking one.

Congrats Karen!!!! Time really flies in our little reefs.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the clam that you got....was it one of the ones from Zoanuts? Did you let them know about it? Just curious since you said that it didn't look to hot when you got it. I know they are pretty good about replacing things like that.

What sort of coral are you planning to shop for? I am starting to get the itch for a new coral or two. I have something worked up with nUgZ for some corals maybe later this month. A Milli, an Acro, and another Monti.

Yes, I let Dustin at Zoanuts know and he gave me a credit. Their customer service is excellent. He's been ill so they are behind on orders and out of stock on clams since they are moving to a larger tank. Here's the one I lossed :tears:

IMG_1836_edited-1.jpg

Not sure yet what coral I want. I need something to sit on the sandbed in the center - any ideas? I would like some nice orange rics but there is a lot of flow in that areas. I'm also looking for some fire and ice zoas so let me know if you run across any.

I'm just getting around to checking this tank out, saw these other 2 Charleston folks talking about it so i had to pop in. ;) Tank looks great, love your corals they are looking great. Sorry to hear about your clam, that was an awesome looking one.

Thanks Matt! I've read your thread and really like your setup as well - especially the ORA tri-color acro! Give me a shout when you in the area...

airman_verde04

Hey Karen, wanted to see what you and Adam are up to either Saturday or Sunday evening next week! Maybe we can all get together finally! tell me what you guys think.

Hey Karen, wanted to see what you and Adam are up to either Saturday or Sunday evening next week! Maybe we can all get together finally! tell me what you guys think.

I'm available this weekend - just let me know what day/time works for you and Adam...

I made a very stupid mistake and I'm now completely heartbroken. I did a water change last night, the usual 4 gallons. Unfortunately, I was multi-tasking (watching tv, feeding the dogs, cleaning the kitchen, etc.). This morning, all three of my maxima's were dead.

It only took me a second to realize what happened since the empty water container was still sitting in the floor beside the aquarium - labeled RO/DI fresh water. The salinity drop basically killed all my maxima's, yet interestingly enough, everything else is fine, even my two crocea's and the linkia starfish.

I never check the salinity prior to doing a water change since I've used the same mixing recipe for 3 yrs and it's always been right on the money - lesson learned. I now have the salinity back up to 1.025 and have checked mg, ca, ph and everything is stable.

I'm lower than low right now - 3 beautiful creatures died because I was careless. Hope my experience keeps others from making the same mistake. And, for those of you that keep clams, yes, maxima's really are more sensitive to sudden water changes...

:tears:

That is horrible sorry to hear that. I always am afraid I'm going to do this one day too seeing as I keep both waters next to each other but I triple check which I grab I am so paranoid. Good luck with everything else in the tank.

What was the time from when you did the change to when you woke up and noticed it?

Thanks Elite Twit and Weetie - I appreciate your kind words. Like I said, my crocea's are still alive but they have not been happy today. I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Elite Twit - I normally do a water change every Saturday morning before the lights come on. I got off schedule a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to do a water change last night after the lights went out. It was sometime between 8:00-8:30 when I did the water change. This morning (6:00 AM) I did the customary tank check on the way to the coffer maker and noticed the clams looked funny. I grabbed a flashlight and that's when I realized what had happened... :(

:tears: Dang Karen....just saw your post. I'm sorry to hear about the lose of three of the clams. Were they the smaller ones? Either way, I'm really sorry to hear about that.

I've come incredibly close to doing the same thing and making huge mistakes on other occasions. It always seems to happen when either I'm in a rush, multi tasking, or just being sloppy and not paying attention. I've gotten almost to the point where I dump something or change something in the tank, and think, "Wow...that would have been disastrous."

I know it's not much consolation but at least you didn't lose anything else. Cheer up Karen, you are an incredible reefer and someone that cares dearly for their corals and inhabitants.

airman_verde04

oh no! I'm so sorry! I haven't had anything die yet, well.. when I lived on base, I had a blue ram in a little freshwater tank, and I put one of those vacation food tablets in there.. umm yeah, well it dissolved and attacked my poor fish and he was dead by the time I got back from VA.. I guess hes not as cool as your clams, but I thought I would just share. Adam said he was going to be busy, but if you would still like to get together, we can just meet up with Adam some other time. We really don't have any plans still, maybe the beach, church on Sunday, water park on Monday.. anyhoo.. would you like to still get together?

Finally took the time to read thru your thread. Your tank is simply beautiful. You have a great eye for coral and how to place them.

Your pics are beautiful as well. Looks like you have been taking pics forever!

Sorry to hear about your recent mistake. I have to keep my lids and containers labeled in huge letters or I would do the same thing at least a month. Hopefully it won't be too long before everything is back in tip top shape.

oh no! I'm so sorry! I haven't had anything die yet, well.. when I lived on base, I had a blue ram in a little freshwater tank, and I put one of those vacation food tablets in there.. umm yeah, well it dissolved and attacked my poor fish and he was dead by the time I got back from VA.. I guess hes not as cool as your clams, but I thought I would just share. Adam said he was going to be busy, but if you would still like to get together, we can just meet up with Adam some other time. We really don't have any plans still, maybe the beach, church on Sunday, water park on Monday.. anyhoo.. would you like to still get together?

Sorry - just reading the thread and saw your note. I've had the crud since yesterday - sneezing, watery eyes, sore throat, the works. Gotta love that pollen count! How about next weekend? I know you work on Saturday, but Sunday perhaps? Maybe then Adam can join us as well????

Finally took the time to read thru your thread. Your tank is simply beautiful. You have a great eye for coral and how to place them.

Your pics are beautiful as well. Looks like you have been taking pics forever!

Sorry to hear about your recent mistake. I have to keep my lids and containers labeled in huge letters or I would do the same thing at least a month. Hopefully it won't be too long before everything is back in tip top shape.

Thanks so much Tudizzle. I lost another crocea last night. As I said in an earlier post, the croceas weren't looking well, but they were hanging on. The last one (and my favorite) seems to have turned the corner today and has perked up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. All corals and inverts are doing great and seem to have suffered no ill effects at all...

airman_verde04

Sure thing! I'll keep Sunday open, lets see if Adam is free!

anyhoo , we're so excited! I'm testing my QT water tomorrow, and I hope hope hope that they match my main tank because TL has fish for 30% off!! finally! so that will be 1-2 weeks in the QT tank and then into the main tank!

anyhoo, I actually stopped my your page to admire your tank! I pushed back the rocks to the back glass more so I had more white-ness with the sand up front. I really hope my aquascape; that the fish enjoy swimming through all the caves and what not. anyhoo. I'll be standing by about next weekend!

Hey Karen. Sorry to hear that you lost another crocea but I'm glad to hear that your favorite is hanging on and looks to be making it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one getting my butt kicked by the second dosing of pollen and allergies. Time to head to the store and get some Zyrtec again :)

Let me check with my wife to see what's cooking for next Sunday. I will let you guys know.

Hey Karen. Sorry to hear that you lost another crocea but I'm glad to hear that your favorite is hanging on and looks to be making it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one getting my butt kicked by the second dosing of pollen and allergies. Time to head to the store and get some Zyrtec again :)

Let me check with my wife to see what's cooking for next Sunday. I will let you guys know.

Ha ha - I just bought more Zyrtec yesterday, along with Tylenol Sinus, Benedryl, and Ibuprofen. Somethings gotta work!

Not so fast on the last clam. What I thought was a rebound, was actually a sign of stress. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the day. This has been, without a doubt, the biggest tragedy I've experienced since I've been in the hobby. It's been a costly lessen and has really made me feel horrible. What's so bad is that each of the clams had grown so much. You'd be amazed at how much shell they had added since I purchased them. They were thriving and the colors had become so intense. It will be a LONG time before I ever get a clam - even though I love them so much. I feel like an unfit parent right now... :(

Sorry to hear that the other one may be on the way out as well. You are definitely in no way an unfit reefer....like you said, they were thriving and everything else in your tank is stunning. Just one little mistake. At least it was a mistake like that instead of something that you were doing wrong chemistry-wise.

Let me know if you want the gold maxima that you gave me back....it might just make you feel better :)

On another note, how are all of your other corals doing? Since I haven't seen your tank in probably a month, I would love to see some more pics of your SPS frags. You have some stunners in there and should be really proud of the growth you get....I get very little in my tank for some reason.

Also, I will have to check this out when we meet up but how do you have your kalk setup? I thought that you had the Tunze Osmolator adding it via a drip line but I can't remember. How did you know how much to drip and how much kalk to have in the reservoir? I know you have the RK Jr./AC Jr. so I'm assuming you have it hooked up so that if the pH gets too high it cuts off. I have started dosing two part every day instead of every other day so that I can maybe get more consistent Ca/Alk levels to help with growth. Instead of dosing 10mL daily, I just put 5 and 5 every day.

Archived