Pod Your Reef

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

I finally found time today to snap some pics of the frags I got from Fraggle Reef and one of the zoa frags I got from Divecj5. I want to add two more clams and then I plan on sitting back and watching all the frags grow out (yeah right). I've got to thin out some of the frags but it's so hard to chose which ones to get rid of. Maybe I'll just get a bigger tank :D ...

Acropora Hoeksemai

AcroporaHoeksemai.jpg

Green Polyp Purple Pocillopora

GreenPolypPurplePocillopora.jpg

Neon Pink Milli

NeonPinkMilli.jpg

Freebie Shroom

FreebieShroom.jpg

Zoas from Divecj5 :wub:

ZoasfromDivecj5.jpg

Full Tank Shot

FullTankShot.jpg

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new specimens, and what a lovely tank! Everything is so nicely nestled in that rock--you sure chose/put together the LR well to have so many "coral niches!"

--Diane

That's what I'm talking about....great picture update Pod. I love the new pieces that you got from Fraggle Reef....I know that the two Poccilipora frags that I have in my tank have become two of my favorite corals and I have no doubt that it will for you as well. That Pink Milli looks great as well....nice and healthy and furry :)

I'm glad that you like the zoa frags that I gave you...I hope that they grow nicely for you. It's the least that I can do considering what you've given me. How is the chaeto working out for you so far?

I love the full tank shot....I agree with Diane that your tank looks so natural with everything so nicely placed. I am still amazed at the explosion of growth you've been getting with the birdsnest....look at all those white nubs of growth.

I will PM you and let you know about coming by this week or something.

Congrats on the new specimens, and what a lovely tank! Everything is so nicely nestled in that rock--you sure chose/put together the LR well to have so many "coral niches!"

--Diane

Thanks so much Diane! I really took my time with this tank to make sure I maximized the rock for frags. It's amazing at how quickly a tank can be filled and space becomes a premium!

Take care,

Karen

That's what I'm talking about....great picture update Pod. I love the new pieces that you got from Fraggle Reef....I know that the two Poccilipora frags that I have in my tank have become two of my favorite corals and I have no doubt that it will for you as well. That Pink Milli looks great as well....nice and healthy and furry :)

I'm glad that you like the zoa frags that I gave you...I hope that they grow nicely for you. It's the least that I can do considering what you've given me. How is the chaeto working out for you so far?

I love the full tank shot....I agree with Diane that your tank looks so natural with everything so nicely placed. I am still amazed at the explosion of growth you've been getting with the birdsnest....look at all those white nubs of growth.

I will PM you and let you know about coming by this week or something.

Thanks Adam! I do love the zoa frags but that was the only one I could get a good shot of. I lost one frag due to a superglue mishap :angry: so I understand how it feels to lose something that was given to you. The chaeto is growing great, although I still have not found it a home yet. Still in the main display in a soapdish.

I'm traveling Wed-Fri of this week and Wed-Fri of next week so my time will be limited. Tomorrow is pretty full but I'll be available this weekend if you want to come by. Just let me know and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Firstly, great looking setup. I am a huge fan of museum quality displays. I have a question about the Solana if you don't mind. Is it possible to turn off the skimmer? Is it possible to take it out completely?

Firstly, great looking setup. I am a huge fan of museum quality displays. I have a question about the Solana if you don't mind. Is it possible to turn off the skimmer? Is it possible to take it out completely?

Yes and yes. I have one of these too. The skimmer is completely removable and the pump for the skimmer can be taken out as well. The pump is on its own power cord too.

Thanks so much Spoon! As for the skimmer, yes, it is totally seperate and simply lifts out - no attached parts to the tank. Hope that helps!

Awesome tank, I love your aquascaping and corals! I just got my Solana setup this past weekend and hope it looks as good as yours someday!

airman_verde04

Hey Podrod, my wife and I just got a 10g tank last week! I sent divecj5 a hello since in only a day online here, I've found 2 folks from Charleston! we live in Hanahan. I'm about to start a beginners thread about my tank. I'll have a few pictures tomorrow! I'll send you guys a link to what I have. I just talked my neighbor into getting a tank! He's going to pic up a 12g biocube! I'm so pumped! This stuff is so fun. All we have are some rocks and sand, and we still just sit around the house and stair at the tank! anyways. maybe I can see you tank in person one day!

oh! PS, your tank looks awesome!! I hope to have a tank thats equally as cool! oh, and do you do much of your shopping localy, or do you order on-line for your reed needs? I actually just live about 2 miles from Tidelines Aquatics in North Charleston/Hanahan.

ChrisIsBored

Tank looks great. I'm having a ton of micro-bubbles being thrown into the main tank because of the skimmer, has this been an issue with you as well? And how did you get rid of it?

Awesome tank, I love your aquascaping and corals! I just got my Solana setup this past weekend and hope it looks as good as yours someday!

Thanks so much! Do you have a thread yet? Be sure to post some pics and let me know if I can help in any way. I look forward to seeing your tank's progress.

Hey Podrod, my wife and I just got a 10g tank last week! I sent divecj5 a hello since in only a day online here, I've found 2 folks from Charleston! we live in Hanahan. I'm about to start a beginners thread about my tank. I'll have a few pictures tomorrow! I'll send you guys a link to what I have. I just talked my neighbor into getting a tank! He's going to pic up a 12g biocube! I'm so pumped! This stuff is so fun. All we have are some rocks and sand, and we still just sit around the house and stair at the tank! anyways. maybe I can see you tank in person one day!

oh! PS, your tank looks awesome!! I hope to have a tank thats equally as cool! oh, and do you do much of your shopping localy, or do you order on-line for your reed needs? I actually just live about 2 miles from Tidelines Aquatics in North Charleston/Hanahan.

Hey Airman and welcome to Nano Reef! I'm so glad you're in the hobby now and that your local! We'll have to get together with Dive sometime and have our own meeting! I do purchase from Tideline on occasion but most all my coral and livestock are from onlines sources. I like to use the sponsors here whenever possible. I'm in Wescott Plantations so not too far from you btw. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help during your setup and yes, I know how it is to stare at the rock and sand!

Take care!

Tank looks great. I'm having a ton of micro-bubbles being thrown into the main tank because of the skimmer, has this been an issue with you as well? And how did you get rid of it?

I've heard of others having that issue, but I never did. Do you have a Solana also? I know that if the water level is not correct in the Solona it will create microbubbles. Do a search on Solana Skimmer and I think you'll find the thread discussing the fix. Thanks for the compliment btw!

airman_verde04
We'll have to get together with Dive sometime and have our own meeting!

whats Dive??, oh! and where do you get your fish, locally? once we make it that far, Melisa wants clowns for sure. She wants something cute and playful to look at. I liked the way the 3 striped damsel looked, but heard they can be meanies. we what 2 fish so they can play. clowns are just pricey ! oh well.. anything for my Melisa.

Hey PodRod....how did the clams you got from Zoanuts end up looking? I posted some more pics of the golden in my thread...it really is a beauty.

We three will definitely have to meet up sometime...start our own Charleston NANO Reefers Club :)

airman_verde04

oh!! hahaha, I'm stupid, I didn't even pick up on the dive thing.. umm let me see, Divecj5, so he likes to scuba dive, and drives an old CJ5 jeep? maybe!! haha.. oh yeah! Charleston nano-reef club! we're in.

Here's some pics of the new clams - I really like them! Airman and Dive - sounds like a great plan on getting together! I'm heading out of town tomorrow and will be back on Saturday. Let's plan on getting together soon...

New Crocea

IMG_1834_edited-1.jpg

New Maxima

IMG_1836_edited-1.jpg

Top Down with 6 clams - can you find them all?

IMG_1841_edited-1.jpg

Top Down of two new clams

IMG_1844_edited-1.jpg

Weetie's Duncan

IMG_1850_edited-1.jpg

umm let me see, Divecj5, so he likes to scuba dive, and drives an old CJ5 jeep

You got it. Been diving for about 8 years now and own a '77 Jeep CJ5...just not my daily driver anymore.

AWESOME new clams. I didn't think that the crocea clam was that big until you put up the top down...wow is it a beauty. And that Maxima is out of this world as well....incredible pattern. Can't wait to see them in person sometime.

We will for sure all meet up once you get back in town. It might be next weekend though since I will be up in DC next week and I know you are on vacation as well.

Safe travels...talk to you when you get back.

airman_verde04
We will for sure all meet up once you get back in town. It might be next weekend though since I will be up in DC next week and I know you are on vacation as well.

I'm in! yeah, this weekend, friends are coming to spend the holiday at the beach ( bumming in our guest room)

but after that we should be good.

Wow, gorgeous shots, Karen! I love the top-downs esp. (But...ahem...:blush: can only find 5 clams...:blush:)

Amazing colors in those clam pics!

--Diane

airman_verde04

yeah, you get awesome color from your pictures also! do you have a metal halide light like Dive also?

David, she uses the same fixture that I do, Sunpod, but has the 250w version. She also runs a Phoenix 14k bulb

airman_verde04

ugg.. I'm Jealous! oh well, my light shall do! so word on the street is they are having a charleston reef club thing meeting on the 31st at tideline, we should show up representing the nano-reefers!

Wow, gorgeous shots, Karen! I love the top-downs esp. (But...ahem...:blush: can only find 5 clams...:blush:)

Amazing colors in those clam pics!

--Diane

Thanks Diane - I really like the top down shots also. The 6th clam that you probably missed is right above the the clam in the lower right corner of the pic. It looks grey in the pic for some reason but is a really pretty green/teal color.

Karen

You got it. Been diving for about 8 years now and own a '77 Jeep CJ5...just not my daily driver anymore.

AWESOME new clams. I didn't think that the crocea clam was that big until you put up the top down...wow is it a beauty. And that Maxima is out of this world as well....incredible pattern. Can't wait to see them in person sometime.

Hey Adam - I'm back in town but I think you're now in DC. I'll be heading back out of town this weekend, but when I return we need to hook up with David. Yes, the clam is HUGE and thriving. All the clams have grown a lot lately and the tank is doing great.

I'll be switching to the Red Sea Coral Pro salt when I return so hopefully that will help boost the calcium levels. The levels are fine now but that is due to dosing. I'd like to cut some of the 2-part dosing out if possible.

ugg.. I'm Jealous! oh well, my light shall do! so word on the street is they are having a charleston reef club thing meeting on the 31st at tideline, we should show up representing the nano-reefers!

Hey David - yes, I have the Phoenix 14K 250W as Adam said. I really like that bulb and the colors that it brings out in the corals.

I used to go to the Charleston meetings prior to the local reefer club fiasco - I'll fill you in sometime. How's your tank coming along? I've been on vacation (still am) so I haven't been following your thread lately. I'm heading back out of town this weekend and will be back next Wednesday. We'll have to meet up with Adam and have our own meeting.

Karen

Archived