Innovative Marine Aquariums

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

Hey PodRod....I can vouch for that black light/psychadelic look of your clam. Simply stunning. Not to get off subject and I know that you have more clams than you can stand but Zoanuts has some stunners in his Exotics section. Just thought I would share since now you've got me loving clams...thanks a lot :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your ric melting. So is there nothing left of it now? I'm sorry I don't have any more advice on it since I'm not really sure why it would all of a sudden melt like that. Might be worth posting in the Advanced Section to see what everyone else thinks. I imagine that everything else looks fine, right? I'm at a loss for why it would do this.

When did you say that you added the other Tunze? Is it receiving a lot more flow now than before? That is the only thing I can think of because if your Acros and Montis look fine, and your zoas and clams are out and about, I can't imagine what would have caused it.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that I have been able to find for you is called Brown Jelly Disease:

Brown Jelly is a bacterial infection composed of opportunistic protozoans and other microorganisms digesting coral tissue. Brown Jelly usually begins at the site of an injury. Brown Jelly can be noticed by what look like brown filaments, or brown/brownish, somewhat transparent masses floating over and above a coral, usually enjoining the polyps of the coral into the mass. This infection can progress rapidly. It can spread through out a system or just infect one coral.

Do not mistake a Brown Jelly infection for algae growing "on" the coral when it first starts. If you notice even a small amount of brownish matter hovering close to a coral polyp you should immediately inspect and treat the coral or the polyps will rapidly disintegrate and more than likly infect other corals as the pathogen is sent streaming throughout your system. The location of the infection is not important, it can occur on the sides, ridges, middle or in just about any other area of the coral.

Bubble Coral, Goniopora, Elegance coral, Frogspawn and other Euphyllia corals, Xenia and Anthellia are some of the corals highly susceptible to this pathogen.

Treatment For Brown Jelly

a) GENTLY Siphon as much as the Jelly Mass as Possible

B) Remove infected coral and treat with an Iodine Solution like Lugols Solution.

c) make sure that your corals have adequate flow. Not laminar, but multi-directional and random

d) Skim, Poly pads, Activated Carbon are recommended

e) 25% water change.

f) check parameters

Not sure if this is what you have but thought I would post it just so you could check your tank to make sure.

Hey Dive,

That sure sounds like what happened. I'll read up on Brown Jelly some more. The ric basically melted and there was, well, brown jelly. It happened FAST. Everything else in the tank is very healthy (with the exception of my other orange ric that seems to be shrinking) and I see no signs of infection in others. I bet the ric got injured during my "rock slide". The bad news is that I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and will be gone for a week. My husband knows how to feed and check the top-off water but that is about it. I may come back to an empty tank - who knows.

Oh, and by the way, DON'T tempt me with more clams! :D I'm focused strictly on acros from here on out!

Beautiful tank you got there!

Good to see you went with the sunpod over that solana eyesore they call a light!

How do you like the 250w overall?

Tell your husband to let me know if he needs me to swing over or anything. I'm sure he's more than capable though.

Thanks for the offer! If something goes crazy I'll have him give you a call but I'm sure all will be fine. No sign of brown jelly this morning. I'm off to Knoxville so have a great week!

Beautiful tank you got there!

Good to see you went with the sunpod over that solana eyesore they call a light!

How do you like the 250w overall?

Thanks for the compliment - I really enjoy this tank. As for the 250w light, I'm glad I went with it. I wanted to focus on sps and clams so I felt a stronger light was needed. I upgraded the bulb to a Phoenix and I really like it.

Well, I found out where the brown jelly started. Before I left to go out of town I noticed some bright yellow slime at the base of my Duncan. I should have paid more attention to it. I just got back home today after being gone for a week and my Duncan was covered in brown and yellow slime (the yellow slime was the Duncan melting). Everything else is fat and happy and I'm certain that was the culprit. My other Duncan is doing great but I'm watching it closely. My husband knows how to feed and check the top off water but that's about it. Unfortunately, he didn't notice the Duncan was having issues. I checked all the water parameters and the tank did fine while I was gone. I'm not certain why it got sick, so that has me concerned but the flow recently changed due to a second power head so that may have been the issue.

I'm getting a Bag O Crap from Zoanuts on Tuesday and I can't wait! It's 10 SPS and Dusty says the frag sizes are generous. I'll have to make some room for them over the weekend. My plans for this tank is to slowly transition it to a clam and SPS tank so it looks like I'm on my way! I'll post some pics next week once the new frags arrive.

I got my Bag O Crap, SPS style, from Zoanuts today and what a surprise. The frags are HUGE and very healthy. I got 10 SPS frags for $110 ($11 each) so I really lucked out. Here's some pics just two hours after being in the tank:

BagOCrap1.jpg

BagOCrap10.jpg

BagOCrap2.jpg

BagOCrap3.jpg

BagOCrap4.jpg

BagOCrap5.jpg

BagOCrap6.jpg

BagOCrap7.jpg

BagOCrap8.jpg

BagOCrap9.jpg

wow those are awesome

i just missed the event, but hopefully fragfest will be sweet

Thanks Qbical - what's fragfest by the way?

Wow, very nice indeed.

On a different note, I can't believe you went to Knoxville and didn't stop by and say "Hi!" :tears:

I only live 20 mins away from Knoxville.

Wow, very nice indeed.

On a different note, I can't believe you went to Knoxville and didn't stop by and say "Hi!" :tears:

I only live 20 mins away from Knoxville.

I'm actually there a lot since it's home to me and we have an office there so I have a lot of meetings to attend. This past week, unfortunately, was all work and no play. I'm back in Knoxville again in 3 weeks to attend a wedding so I'll let you know when the time gets closer so I can shop at Weeties! I'm from Lenoir City and have family there and in Kingston and Maryville. I'm very familiar with Oak Ridge as well - used to drive there just for Big Ed's Pizza!

I'm actually there a lot since it's home to me and we have an office there so I have a lot of meetings to attend. This past week, unfortunately, was all work and no play. I'm back in Knoxville again in 3 weeks to attend a wedding so I'll let you know when the time gets closer so I can shop at Weeties! I'm from Lenoir City and have family there and in Kingston and Maryville. I'm very familiar with Oak Ridge as well - used to drive there just for Big Ed's Pizza!

Big Ed's is a 1 minute drive from my house and a 5 minute walk!!!

Come on over and we'll have a Pizza Party!!!

Big Ed's is a 1 minute drive from my house and a 5 minute walk!!!

Come on over and we'll have a Pizza Party!!!

Your on!

What has everyone used for actinics and moonlights on this setup?

What about that glass lid that comes with it, does it collect condensation and alage easy where it will limit the amount of light shining through?

Wow...awesome new additions PodRod. I can't wait to come over and see them in the tank in all of their glory. Looks like you really lucked out with some sweet pieces. Really nice variety: monti, acro, and looks like a nice millipora as well.

Friday is all clear for me so maybe I will swing over then?

What has everyone used for actinics and moonlights on this setup?

What about that glass lid that comes with it, does it collect condensation and alage easy where it will limit the amount of light shining through?

I'm using the 250W MH Sunpod. It's 14,000K so the color balance is great. It has LED white and blue lunar lights built in as well. I don't use the glass top and I believe the majority of the other Solana owner are topless as well.

Where has everyone found to be the cheapest place just to order the tank itself?

I'm not really sure since I purchased mine before they were widely available. I had my lfs order mine. Interestingly enough, Drs Foster and Smith has a new tank called EcoCube that is 25 gallon. If I'm not mistaken, it's a Solana just a little smaller. Even uses the same lights and stands and has the same features. If you're interested in a 25 gallon instead of a 34 gallon then this may be the way to go. I haven't compared the costs betweeen the two...

southstar066

nice set up... i recently set mine up and noticed the light brings the water up over 82...does that fan work pretty well? and also do you have lr rubble in the middle chamber...how is that workin if so?

nice set up... i recently set mine up and noticed the light brings the water up over 82...does that fan work pretty well? and also do you have lr rubble in the middle chamber...how is that workin if so?

I have two tunze 6025 powerheads, plus the return pump and skimmer pump. I'm using 250W MH and I have no heat issues by using the fan - it works perfect. I have the temp controlled by the ACJR, set at 80. If the temp falls below 79.7 the heater kicks on and if the temp rises above 80.3 the fan kicks on. We're already in AC weather and no issues so far. I don't have any lr rubble - didn't see a need for it since I have so much lr in the display. My middle chamber has purigen and chema-pur below the shelf and I use the blue filter pads on the shelf.

Thanks and I hope your tank setup is going well!

Any new pics? Looking forward to seeing what you got from Fraggle

I've been spending all my time working in the yard and redesigning the landscape. Wow am I ever tired! I want to give the tank a good cleaning tomorrow and then take some pics for posting. I'm considering two new clams from Cherry Corals so I need to move the blue/green/purple rics - got space for them?

Pics coming this weekend - promise!

I hear ya about yard work and all the other things that come up over the weekend. Just wanted to see what you got in from Fraggle since it sounds like you were happy with what you got.

Uh oh, more CLAMS :) Are you going to go for another crocea or maxima?

I just did some moving around in my tank yesterday so let me see if I have any space for the rics. I have been trying my best to get everything off the sand bed and I am about 75% there :)

I hear ya about yard work and all the other things that come up over the weekend. Just wanted to see what you got in from Fraggle since it sounds like you were happy with what you got.

Uh oh, more CLAMS :) Are you going to go for another crocea or maxima?

I just did some moving around in my tank yesterday so let me see if I have any space for the rics. I have been trying my best to get everything off the sand bed and I am about 75% there :)

I'm removing the bottom middle rock and placing two clams on the sandbed - one maxima and one crocea. Yeah, I know, sandbed is a no no, but I've never had an issue with larger clams on the sandbed and it's a perfect spot. I just need to get rid of the small rock and it has two rics on it. I can chip the rock to remove just the rics or you can have the rock with the rics attached. If you don't have room just let me know - I can find a place on the side for the rics.

I have one more day of yard work and then tomorrow I will be spending some time on my tank. I'll take pics tomorrow evening for posting.

Archived