Cultivated Reef

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

Hi Karen,

I have another question to ask... how high is your water level on your solana? I just setup a solana tank myself and I noticed that the water level on mine is pretty high. Probably about 1 inch left before water will spill over. Do you have your return pump turned on max?

Anyone will a solana tank can chime in too.

Thanks.

~Jr.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Solana and 1" seems to be about what they all end up at. The water in the back can very quite a bit but the main tank stays the same.

post-43526-1241032508_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to add on here that I talked to Karen the other day and she wishes she could be on here more. Her mother-in-law's cancer has come out of remission so she has been on the road with that and traveling a ton with her job.

Sorry if you didn't want me to share this Karen but I didn't want people to think you fell off the face of the Earth :)

I hope I can get over your way soon and grab some pics of your tank...we're thinking about ya :grouphug:

Been a couple weeks since I've seen you around here Karen. Just wondering how things are going in your tank.

Hope all has been well with you.

Hey Adam - I haven't been here much lately due to work and my mother in-law's illness. She lives in Tn so we've been traveling a lot to be with her. The tank is doing fine but looks very crowded. I"m in the process of selling off some corals so be on the look out for my posting!

Hey Karen, just thought I would say hey... hey! also. I'm in the mix of planning the new Pico tank and all. I'm really stressing on salt this time for the get go, what are you using right now? aside of your high demand coral, how does it test prior to your livestock munching up the Cal and alk. I'm looking for something that will not need much, or if at all.. ANY dosing.. (unless the tank goes through its nomral cycles of being a grumpy head and the perams. get off a bit).. anyways.. hope all is well!!

Hey David! I'm using DD's H2Ocean and I love that salt. It's pricey but worth it IMO. It has a higher level of Ca and Mg so less dosing for my SPS. Good luck with the Pico - I can't wait to see the pics!

Hi Karen,

I have another question to ask... how high is your water level on your solana? I just setup a solana tank myself and I noticed that the water level on mine is pretty high. Probably about 1 inch left before water will spill over. Do you have your return pump turned on max?

Anyone will a solana tank can chime in too.

Thanks.

~Jr.

GentleBen said it right - about 1 inch from the top is normal. I know that looks a little high but remember that the back is lower so the water will spill into the back before it would spill into the floor.

Just wanted to add on here that I talked to Karen the other day and she wishes she could be on here more. Her mother-in-law's cancer has come out of remission so she has been on the road with that and traveling a ton with her job.

Sorry if you didn't want me to share this Karen but I didn't want people to think you fell off the face of the Earth :)

I hope I can get over your way soon and grab some pics of your tank...we're thinking about ya :grouphug:

Thanks so much Adam - I've been too busy to even post lately but I'm trying to catch up now. I appreaciate your support and help - it's soooo great to have a fellow reefer live close by!

airman_verde04
Hey Adam - I haven't been here much lately due to work and my mother in-law's illness. She lives in Tn so we've been traveling a lot to be with her. The tank is doing fine but looks very crowded. I"m in the process of selling off some corals so be on the look out for my posting!

I sure hope she is doing well.. anyhoo.. I also sure wish I had a tank to put some coral in, I'm actually going to be setting up my 2g to hold small frags of softies that are on my coral shopping list (very picky this time) I like you might have one or two of what I'm looking for.. oh well, as fast as everything grows in your tank, by the time I have the main display pico up and running, it will be time to cut back again and sell more!! WOOT!

have a good week.

airman_verde04

Just took a stroll on the Charleston reefer site. Sorry you had to take down your tank Karen, though I understand since I was in the same boat when it comes to Life and Hobby not agreeing at this time. Cant wait to see what you get next time. I sure hope its before I move next year.. I'm sure Adam and I both will be more than happy to help you set up a monster!!! hehe... You and your family will be in Melisa and I's Prayers.

oh.. my bad, I just read on, I see your moving.. to Tenn Im guessing?

Well, I'm officially out of the hobby for awhile. Due to an illness in our family we have been traveling a lot to be with my mother in-law. We will eventually be moving back to the Knox, TN area so I went ahead and pulled the plug on the tank. I sold everything, and I mean EVERYTHING locally. I will definitely be back in the hobby again but it will be after we move and get settled in to our new house and jobs so it will be awhile. I will be stepping up to a large tank next time. I've had four nano tanks and I think it's time to try my hand (or should I say fins) at something larger. I will still be visiting Nano-Reef since this is the BEST place for information, hobby updates, and most importantly a place to find lots of friends.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your advise, guidance and help with my tank - I've learned so much from this forum and I've made so many friends and THAT is what set's this forum apart from the others!

Best wishes to all!

Karen

I'm glad to have a piece of the PodRod reef in my tank now....hope I can share back to you once you have a tank again.

I'm sure you will be sucked back into the hobby soon enough :)

Thank you for all of your help, guidance, and generosity over the last year or so. Keep in touch.

Weetabix7

Once you're established in Knoxville and ready to get started again, look me up.

Actually, if you have time, feel free to look me up before that.

I'll be happy to lend a shoulder, an ear, a nice squishy couch to sit and catch your breath on, little boys to climb all over you.... :D

Anyway, I can get you hooked up with the local Reef Club, there's some nice folks.

Also, check out The Coral Reef on Kingston Pike.

They were recently bought by Sustainable Aquatics and have been doing some amazing stuff with the store.

I may even try to get a job there!

I'm sorry to hear that things have been difficult, and will be happy to help any way I can.

dtfleming

Wow, Karen sorry to hear. I understand that you had to do it, just sad to see you go for awhile. Im gonna miss that beautiful tank , since some of my corals are in there.

southstar066

Karen, sad to see you go. you have been an inspiration to everyone with a solana. thanks for all the help with all the questions I have asked. Hope everything gets goin with your family life and can't wait to see the 800g beast set-up...lol. Thanks for everything

davidr2340

Sorry to hear this Karen... family come first though!!!

Your tank has been a huge influence on me, and I look forward to the day you jump back in! Hopefully by that time I'll be a shipping pro, and can help get you back in full force!

You and your family are in my thoughts Karen!

airman_verde04

You know Karen, I could always make you a little 2g pico cube like the one I've built before.. You could always having something like that.. a few zoas in there.. a AC70 and a 20watt 50/50 bulb and your in business!! and its travel sized! :)

• 2 weeks later...
d'Espresso

im still on the search and researching on what to do, what i need to get started and equipments on building a simple, clean look, automatic, and easy to handle to build a tank like yours. i am going for the Solana 34 gallon. So i landed on your page and enjoyed what you have done. i will be following your thread but i would like to know if you can pm the list and price and where to get everything done. This would be a thrill to me if you can do that. thanks :)

Archived