Cultivated Reef

Drilling a BioCube ?

MDeth

So...before I do something stupid and get a replacement glass back for my BC14

Is the back tempered or not?

This is the plan anyway,

I figure use ____(insert product here) that will hopefully loosen up the sealant...replace the back glass and reseal...and plumb :P

^Easy as that right

The real question though....Will I void my warranty :o

I've seen a thread where someone drilled the top and put a HOB CPR fuge. I thought about drilling my BC29 also, but was chicken. I crammed my fuge, skimmer, and other junk into the existing 3 chambers.

Good luck drilling.

I seen somebody plumb the tank through the canopy, they just cut out a piece out of the plastic. Kind of like an overflow design.

Hope this helps incase you dont really want to drill it.

Grimreefer you type faster ahh.

The one I seen was plumbed to a 15g.

Hello Dan,

No that back glass is not tempered, however, we do not recommend drilling the tank. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact us at 1-800-255-4527.

Thanks,

Star

Star Wallowing Bull

Technical Support

Central Aquatics

OKAY then....so hopefully I dont crack it :)

anybody know of some type of acetone for some thick black rubber silicone?

^Hopefully that wont melt the plastic rim.

I'm not sure about the black plastic (or where you could get it pure), but I know that methanol doesn't cloud clear acrylic like acetone does, so you might try that if you can figure a way to get your hands on some? It takes off sharpie the same way that acetone does, so perhaps it will do the same to silicone that acetone does.

That I will try. I was smart enough to cut quite a bit of the silicone off to test, as well as dremeled off those hinges for the hood - open top so it doesn't matter :)

Thanks for the tip

I never drilled glass in my life and I just yesterday drilled 3 holes in the back of my aga 15g tank.

I'm thinking you may have pressed too hard while drilling?

My local glass shop couldn't do it and gave me a million reasons why it wouldn't work unless I took the separate pain of glass out and drilled it in a press. Well I proved them wrong.

How did you crack the bottom glass? Usually the bottom is tempered, but you were drilling the rear correct?

Here are some drilling videos:

This one has water in it!

Archived