Coral Vue Hydros

_P's Solanana

_phase

Hello my name is Sam (nice to meet you all)

Quick description of experience:

Got suckered into reefing less than half a year ago by a lady at the lfs. So far I've had 6 tanks which most I have sold and now my fleet consists the solana and a 12g aquapod clam/sps tank.

Plans/expectations:

I have six months before I plan on my move to the pasedena area. I don't plan on reefing while I'm living in California for academic reasons. So as a final goodbye to reefing I plan on spending my last months here in Washington "going all out".

Currently my solana is ugly as sin so I'm not even going to brother posting pictures anyways I might get some 1st grade ora maximas tomorrow if that goes well I'll post pics up of those.

:welcome: would like to see a shot of the solana once u fix it all up...I want one of those tanks! Nice clam!

:) thanks I'd like to see that too

I still need to buy a light for this tank... its running on pc's right now, any suggestions? was thinking an icecap 250... I heard xm20k's are bad on PAR what exactly would that mean and what kind of de bulbs should I get?

new acan lords :)

dscn8705dx1.jpg

dscn8707mc6.jpg

dscn8709zp7.jpg

moved the clam onto the rocks after this pic you can see the clam next to a small piece of rock it had its foot attached to it funny how the clam scurried around the sand just to attach its foot :happy:

dscn8741ld7.jpg

teaser photo?

dscn8758jj3.jpg

still wondering about a halide bulb any personal opinions?

I went with the stock Solana light and LOVE IT! Some people don't like the way it looks...but I get compliments on mine all the time. It's a perfect looking light for the rimless tank.

I went with the stock Solana light and LOVE IT! Some people don't like the way it looks...but I get compliments on mine all the time. It's a perfect looking light for the rimless tank.

I don't mind the look of the disco ball its interesting and somewhat new but I want plenty of light in my tank so sps can thrive and clams can grow I'm tired of having softie tanks

anways I'll probably go with the Icecap 250

It's a 150W halide...how much more do you want? I have SPS and clams in my tank and they are doing TERRIFIC! It's MORE than enough light for anything you could possibly want to grow....with some to spare.

It's a 150W halide...how much more do you want? I have SPS and clams in my tank and they are doing TERRIFIC! It's MORE than enough light for anything you could possibly want to grow....with some to spare.

250 watts :P I have a 150 outer orbit over my 12ap my clams love it sps kind of like it my montipora digita started bleaching since i had it so high in the tank iono I think 250 would be decent. For a while was thinking a 175 cause I saw this guy uhuru on the members aquariums saying it was the equivalent to a 250 but less wattage.

dailydriven911
New clam

angry clam

dscn8659jy2.jpg

sort of angry clam

dscn8663qm8.jpg

someone took the first grade gold maxima :( so I had to settle for this one not to bad tho

Settle for that one? It's a beauty! So when you move are you going to be selling your clams? :lol:

Settle for that one? It's a beauty! So when you move are you going to be selling your clams? :lol:

pffftt your gold looks way nicer in person and if you'd like you can be first in line :)

is that gold one a squamosa?

couple things i will address, the 150 hqi is roughly equal to a 250 mogul base but a 175 mogul base is deffinately not equal to a 250 in terms of par UNLESS you are using an iwasaki bulb which is rated to be, i think, a little over the 250 mh's

but the 175 mh is deffinately not higher than a 250w hqi but the 250w hqi is roughly equal to that of a 400 mogul

is that gold one a squamosa?

couple things i will address, the 150 hqi is roughly equal to a 250 mogul base but a 175 mogul base is deffinately not equal to a 250 in terms of par UNLESS you are using an iwasaki bulb which is rated to be, i think, a little over the 250 mh's

but the 175 mh is deffinately not higher than a 250w hqi but the 250w hqi is roughly equal to that of a 400 mogul

yes the gold is a squamosa :)

ahh i need to ingest all this information as far as a pendant and ballast goes what kind of fixture do you think I should purchase I'm not fond of the current usa fixtures for sure.

thank you for your helpful information fate :)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it goes back and forth on lighting

i actually like the mh/t5 combos from current, i think they look sleek

they have a 24" model which is a little too big but its nice

http://current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html

i havent really been reading into lights in a while so im not really the person to say whats good right now

i do know that the phoenix bulbs are rated as one of the highest par ratings in the14k range and also one of the cheapest bulbs which is awesome imo

Archived