Coral Vue Hydros

Beekers BB BC29g- Slightly Juiced Zen Garden!

beeker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok well i have some crazy updates as of now

my tank is a year old as of 1-12-09, new pics will be comming within the next two weeks, i'm still waiting on my corals to get used to the 10 hour lighting cycle since i just uped it an hour in the last week or two and everything is still adjusting, my didgita's are loving it and some of my SPS are just now adjusting to it i probably have 3 more weeks before there done adjusting

I haven't posted pics because i bought a flame angel that started nipping at coral so i had to remove most of my rock to get him out and i pissed off a decent amount of SPS in the process, so i'm still waiting on the tank to recover from that, i also got a clown goby and he is now nipping at 3-4 of my SPS pieces so i bought a lionfish to eat him and am still waiting on the lionfish to take care of that problem, which hopefully will happen within the next 2 weeks so i can take some updated pics, since the SPS the goby is picking at have no or little PE i'm not going to get pics until they are pic worthy

next line of attempts/updates, lol

i'm going to start dosing vodka, Elo's amino's and using D-D h20cean salt

i'll be doing all 3 at once so i won't know what the outcome will be but i'll be going very slowly will all 3

i'll take a before and after pic so i can gauge the outcome's both on here and in my own head, lol

hopefully i will get the results i'm looking for

Better PE

Better/faster growth

Better Color

and honestly thats all i'm shooting for, i have no dectecable nitrate or posphate but i want to try vodka dosing since my tank is a year old and i feel that it's something i can try out and gauge wether or not it's worth it to use on my tank, i'm mainly going for color and growth and hope the amino's/vodka and new salt will get me the results i'm looking for

Happy Reefing

Hopefully next time i post the goby will be gone and then i'll have the year update pic's after my 3-4 SPS get there proper PE back

Vodka Dosing 1-12-09

just started doing the Vodka dosing to my BB Biocube 29g, i'll be doing daily dosing with the Vodka and Amino's until i see a negative or positive effect, water changes will be preformed weekly with 5-7 gallons of D-D H20 ocean salt

I will take pictures soon so i have before and after pics for this expierment, some of my SPS still lack PE from the goby but i'll be taking progress pics either way

1 ml of both Tropic marin A+ and K+ elements will only be added after a water change to maintain more trace elements in the water collum, this will be a positive or negative thing and i'll be watching the changes closely

So far everything has been positive

Here's my trial so far

Day 1, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= More skimate production

Day 2, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's- 5 gallon WC with new D-D H20 Ocean Salt- 1ml of bothTropic Marin A+ K+ Elements = Lighter skimate, Corals still reacting nicely to changes and Dose's

Day 3, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = still very little PE on my acro's from the goby, but color's and growth seem to be consistant, and skimate is back up to normal production after cleaning the skimmer and doing the water change yesterday

Day 4, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Good Skimate, Noticing less algea on the glass, no cloudy blooms yet, Growth is starting to improve as well as color and PE, Feeding a little more now since i don't want to deplete my system of 100% nutrients and starve the coral

Day 5, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Still getting good growth, dropping my alk from 11 DKH to 9 DKH, i noticed a little burning on some of my SPS, nothing serious but trying to drop alk due to all the post i read about burning tips at a higher alk when Vodka dosing

Day 6, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Still getting great growth and color, still trying to improve PE but the nuisance goby is still in the tank at the moment, Skimate has been nice and dark for the last 2 days

1-18-09 Day 7, 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Everything is looking great, noticed a little more burning on the tips of some colonie's but i'm reducing alk properly and am almost at 9 DKH, Skimate production has been great, growth and color are improving nicely, noticed a little more algea on the glass, but have also been feeding heavier

1-19-09 Day 8, 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's=Did my routine 5 gallon WC, dosed 1.2 Ml of both Tropic marin A+ and K+ Elements, Removed the black goby and i'm hoping PE improve's now

1-20-09 Day 9 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Great skimate, corals are looking better than ever, water clarity is amazing, algea on glass seems like it's being out competed and is slowly going away, Corals still have a little burning on tips, still trying to get ALK to 9 DKH, Goby is gone now and my Purple acro and green milli are getting their PE back now which is great

Day 10 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Darker Skimate, Colors are improving, Growth is steady at the moment, Still going to be gauging if i'll have to up it to 3 drops in the next 2 weeks since 2 drops seems to be perfect ATM but i'm still watching the corals and growth to see how they react to the 2 drops, some slight burning on the tips still and alk is almost at 9DKH now, i'll be watching over the next week of 2 drop dosing to see if the corals take the change well, no ill affect on corals at the moment (no tissue loss or recession) everything looks better than it did before i started

Day 11 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's =Still getting great skimate, Corals that were lacking PE because of the goby are recovering 10 fold and new polyps and growth is starting to take off quickly, colors are improving slightly, not a huge change in the colors yet, but so far everything is looking great, slight burning still but finally stablized my ALK at 9 DKH

Day 12 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Alk Stablized at 9 DKH slight burning is turning into new growth, things continue to improve in color and growth rate is really starting to take off, even my Birdsnest that hasn't grown in months is finally showing signs of growth hopefully it keeps up, Skimate has been consistant since upping to 2 drops of Vodka, I'm dosing 3 caps of pyhto every other day atleast to keep the nutrients up a little, been feeding 2 times a day with pellets/flake and every other day i feed pellets and Mysis and Brine to my sun coral, so far everything is going how i want it too

Day 13 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Growth and color are stable and continuious, i'm loving Vodka dosing so far it seems like the best improvement i've made on my tank

Day 14 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Skimate is staying nice and dark, skimate is consistant and cup cleaning is preformed every 2 days atleast or it will overflow, normally it took a week to even fill the cup now it only takes 2 days, things are still looking great and improving nicely

Day 15 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= PE is almost back to normal on my problematic piece's now, water change will be preformed tommorrow, and hopefully the 10g sump will be setup then as well, Dosing regiem will be the same until i feel the need to up the Vodka, or up the Amino's but so far i don't see a need, i'm getting the color and growth i'm shooting for and see no reason to change dosages as of right now

Day 16, 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's=

I'm very happy with Vodka dosing at this point and have been getting the exact results that i've wanted

very nice colors! I wish I had the t5's like you do. Have you tried a 10k with actinics? I'm thinking of getting the phoenix 14k to replace my xm20k for more growth. Definitely tagging to see the sps growth

actually i ran the Radium 20k 150w hqi with (2) Giessman atinic +'s and i loved that color

in the new pics that i'm posting now it will be the Radium 20k 150w with (2) UVL 75:25 split T5's

pics will be up soon so i can start gauging before and after shots of the Vodka dosing

FTS DAY 3 OF VODKA AMINO DOSING

RADIUM 20K (2) UVL 75:25 SPLIT T5'S

vodkadosing1005pb2.jpg

vodkadosing1001cs6.jpg

vodkadosing1006nv9.jpg

LOOKING FOR COLOR IMPROVEMENT AND GROWTH ON THIS ONE

vodkadosing1007tg0.jpg

GAUGING GROWTH ON YELLOW PICOLOPORA AND SUPERMAN DIGI, PROBLEM CORAL IN THE BACK (ON THE LEFT) I'M TRYING TO IMPROVE THAT ONE'S COLOR/GROWTH AND PE

vodkadosing1008vu9.jpg

WATCHING GROWTH AND COLOR ON FOREST FIRE DIGITA AND ALSO WATCHING GROWTH ON THE YELLOW DEEP WATER ACRO AND PUPRLE PICOLPORA

vodkadosing1009rj4.jpg

WATCHING GROWTH ON FOREST FIRE DIGI'S AND SUPERMAN DIGI

vodkadosing1012fk7.jpg

MY 2 PROBLEM CORALS THAT MY GOBY WAS PICKING AT, TRYING TO IMPROVE GROWTH AND PE ON THESE 2

vodkadosing1013ud5.jpg

THE COLOR HAS IMPROVED A TON ON THIS PIECE SINCE I GOT IT, I'M GAUGING GROWTH AND COLOR ON THIS ONE

vodkadosing1017qi4.jpg

TRYING TO IMPROVE THE BLUE MILLAPORA ON THE BACK LEFT, WATCHING GROWTH AND COLOR ON THE PICLOPORA AND THE FOREST FIRE DIGI

vodkadosing1018si4.jpg

vodkadosing1019kw4.jpg

TRYING TO IMPROVE PE ON THE BLUE TENIUS, BIRDSNEST AND YELLOW ACRO, ALSO GOING FOR GROWTH ON ALL OF THEM

vodkadosing1021jy2.jpg

vodkadosing1022ah0.jpg

TRYING TO GAUGE GROWTH/COLOR ON THESE 4

vodkadosing1023ys3.jpg

TRYING TO GAUGE GROWTH, AND COLOR ON THESE 2, I RECENTLY GOT THE MILLAPORA SO I'M STILL WAITING ON IT TO COLOR UP

vodkadosing1024im4.jpg

I just Switched back to my 2 Giessman atinic +'s instead of using the UVL 75:25

i felt the color of the coral was better and growth is still the same under the Giessman's, i'll have to get a fixture that can hold 4 T5's because with the Giessman Atinic's and the UVl 75:25 plus the Radium 20k the color would be perfect

Still continuing with the Vodka Dosing, Updates are done daily the post is 3 up from this one, oh and i'm using Sky Vodka for my Dosing

Thanks for looking

I'll have new pics up of the Vodka growth/color in the next week or so, i'm still waiting to get PE back on a few piece's since the goby is out of the tank now

Happy Reefing

man thats an impressive design. I just got a BC29 and doing my research how to make it awesome likes yours. Is Meanie the only gangsta in that tank?

lol, i actually have gone through 3-4 clownfish in the last year, all of them jumped out of the tank after only being in it 2-3 months

So for fish all i have now is

1 O. Clownfish

1 Starry Blennie

1 Spotted hawkfish

1 Dwarf Lionfish

Tank is comming along great so far

in the next week or two i should have my 10g sump setup which will just be gravity fed back to the BC, then i'll be buying a MSX 160 skimmer(in sump) and replacing my SR3 at that time, i'll be turning the 2nd chamber where the SR3 sits now into a refugium after i get the new skimmer, granted thats atleast a month away before i have funds but it's keeping me motivated and busy, lol

I definitely like how you made the tank. Thanks for posting pics on the radium and phoenix. I'm sold on the Radium...I was hopping the fence between the two. I'm tuned in on the vodka dosing.

Vodka Dosing 1-12-09

just started doing the Vodka dosing to my BB Biocube 29g, i'll be doing daily dosing with the Vodka and Amino's until i see a negative or positive effect, water changes will be preformed weekly with 5-7 gallons of D-D H20 ocean salt

I will take pictures soon so i have before and after pics for this expierment, some of my SPS still lack PE from the goby but i'll be taking progress pics either way

1 ml of both Tropic marin A+ and K+ elements will only be added after a water change to maintain more trace elements in the water collum, this will be a positive or negative thing and i'll be watching the changes closely

So far everything has been positive

Here's my trial so far

Day 1, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= More skimate production

Day 2, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's- 5 gallon WC with new D-D H20 Ocean Salt- 1ml of bothTropic Marin A+ K+ Elements = Lighter skimate, Corals still reacting nicely to changes and Dose's

Day 3, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = still very little PE on my acro's from the goby, but color's and growth seem to be consistant, and skimate is back up to normal production after cleaning the skimmer and doing the water change yesterday

Day 4, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Good Skimate, Noticing less algea on the glass, no cloudy blooms yet, Growth is starting to improve as well as color and PE, Feeding a little more now since i don't want to deplete my system of 100% nutrients and starve the coral

Day 5, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Still getting good growth, dropping my alk from 11 DKH to 9 DKH, i noticed a little burning on some of my SPS, nothing serious but trying to drop alk due to all the post i read about burning tips at a higher alk when Vodka dosing

Day 6, 1 Drop of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Still getting great growth and color, still trying to improve PE but the nuisance goby is still in the tank at the moment, Skimate has been nice and dark for the last 2 days

1-18-09 Day 7, 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Everything is looking great, noticed a little more burning on the tips of some colonie's but i'm reducing alk properly and am almost at 9 DKH, Skimate production has been great, growth and color are improving nicely, noticed a little more algea on the glass, but have also been feeding heavier

1-19-09 Day 8, 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's=Did my routine 5 gallon WC, dosed 1.2 Ml of both Tropic marin A+ and K+ Elements, Removed the black goby and i'm hoping PE improve's now

1-20-09 Day 9 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Great skimate, corals are looking better than ever, water clarity is amazing, algea on glass seems like it's being out competed and is slowly going away, Corals still have a little burning on tips, still trying to get ALK to 9 DKH, Goby is gone now and my Purple acro and green milli are getting their PE back now which is great

Day 10 2 Drops of Vodka- 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Darker Skimate, Colors are improving, Growth is steady at the moment, Still going to be gauging if i'll have to up it to 3 drops in the next 2 weeks since 2 drops seems to be perfect ATM but i'm still watching the corals and growth to see how they react to the 2 drops, some slight burning on the tips still and alk is almost at 9DKH now, i'll be watching over the next week of 2 drop dosing to see if the corals take the change well, no ill affect on corals at the moment (no tissue loss or recession) everything looks better than it did before i started

Day 11 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's =Still getting great skimate, Corals that were lacking PE because of the goby are recovering 10 fold and new polyps and growth is starting to take off quickly, colors are improving slightly, not a huge change in the colors yet, but so far everything is looking great, slight burning still but finally stablized my ALK at 9 DKH

Day 12 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Alk Stablized at 9 DKH slight burning is turning into new growth, things continue to improve in color and growth rate is really starting to take off, even my Birdsnest that hasn't grown in months is finally showing signs of growth hopefully it keeps up, Skimate has been consistant since upping to 2 drops of Vodka, I'm dosing 3 caps of pyhto every other day atleast to keep the nutrients up a little, been feeding 2 times a day with pellets/flake and every other day i feed pellets and Mysis and Brine to my sun coral, so far everything is going how i want it too

Day 13 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Growth and color are stable and continuious, i'm loving Vodka dosing so far it seems like the best improvement i've made on my tank

1-25-09 Day 14 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Skimate is staying nice and dark, skimate is consistant and cup cleaning is preformed every 2 days atleast or it will overflow, normally it took a week to even fill the cup now it only takes 2 days, things are still looking great and improving nicely

Day 15 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= PE is almost back to normal on my problematic piece's now, water change will be preformed tommorrow, and hopefully the 10g sump will be setup then as well, Dosing regiem will be the same until i feel the need to up the Vodka, or up the Amino's but so far i don't see a need, i'm getting the color and growth i'm shooting for and see no reason to change dosages as of right now

Day 16, 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Growth Color and PE are improving a ton, noticing atleast 2mm of growth almost daily on most piece's, tip burning seems to have stopped, ALK is 9.6 DKH and this seems to be perfect for my tank at the moment, Increased feeding since i've been noticing some acro's have gotten a harder look to them, hard to explain but they had no PE after having PE for weeks and started to look "hardened" like a rough texture instead of the smooth coralite look sps normally has, Increased feeding has solved this issue, if you vodka dose and notice any acro losing PE and having a harder look to it then increase the feeding

Day 17 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Still getting the results i've been shooting for, stuff in my tank has never looked better and continues to improve daily

Day 18 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= continuing on the same dosage seeing the results that i'm getting now are consistant and hopefully i can keep it that way, i've gotten impressive growth out of piece's that haven't done anything in my tank in the last 2-3 months, this is the best thing i've ever done too and for my tank, Calc and Mag have been rediculously stable, Alk 9.6 DKH, Calc 500+, Mag 1400+ infact i've had to dose less Calc and Mag in the last week because it seems that carbon dosing keeps the water collum pretty well saturated will Calc and Mag, Alk never drops below 9DKH in 24 hours

1-30-09 Day 19 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Added my 10g sump to the BC 29, Kept the same dosage for Calc/Alk/Mag and Vodka and Amino's, Skimate is still consistant, Water clarity is impressive, Coral growth and color is improving daily

1-31-09 Day 20 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Continuing to get great color and growth, things are steady now and i'm still gauging if i should up the vodka to 3 drops since adding the extra volume of the sump, i'll be continuing a 2 drop dosage for atleast the next week until i do the next water change

2-1-09 Day 21 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's = Sump is up and running great, tank is looking better and better everyday, corals continue to have steady growth and PE

Day 22 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Darker Skimate, Coral growth and color are still improving and PE is constantly getting better

Day 23 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop Elo's Amino's= Skimate production is still good, Growth has been steady, My Superman Digita had a weird look to it last night and i'll be watching it closely, its either having an ill affect from something or is getting ready to start taking off with new growth since i don't think it would have an ill affect from anything i've done lately since the dosages have stayed the same and the only change was the addition of a 10g sump which would have only diluted what i was already adding, but either way i'll be keeping a close eye on it

Day 24 2 Drops of Vodka , 1 Drop Elo's Amino's=Growth is steady on everything except the superman digi and the Birdsnest I'm Still watching the superman digi, it doesen't seem to be going down hill but it looks weird lol, and all my other SPS are flourishing except for my Birdsnest which hasn't don't isht in my tank since i got it so i'm not sure why the superman looks the way it does, i'll be feeding heavy tonight to see if that helps it out my parameters all checked out last night too

10dkh

480 Calc

1400 mag

Day 25 2 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Superman digi still looks bad, haven't seen any improvement in it and parameters are all checking out fine, so i'm not sure whats going on with it

Day 26 0 drops of Vodak, 0 Drops of Elo's Amino's= Temporaily stopped dosing to see if my superman digi will recover from whatever is affecting it

Day 27 0 Drops of Vodka, 0 Drops of Elo's Amino's= Still not dosing, and superman digita isn't looking any better, my other corals have shown no ill affect from the stop of dosing and i'll be watching everything closely at the moment, did a 5 gallon WC to see if that would help

Day 28 0 Drops of Vodka, 0 Drops of Elo's Amino's= 2 of the 4 Superman colonies i had are STNing/RTNing, and i'm still unsure of the cause, since stopping the vodka and amino dosage none of the 4 colonie's have seemed to recover or improve, and i'm not sure why only the superman digi would have been affected when everything else in my tank still looks 100% if not better than it did, the water change hasn't seemed to help and i'm down to 2 colonie's of superman digi, if i lose all 4 of these i assume something other than the vodka was the cause since all 4 colonie's are in different spots in my tank, but all 4 colonie's look exactly the same, not sure if they have a disease or what, but my forest fire digi's have never looked better so this is puzzling to me

2-9-09 Day 29 0 drops of Vodka, 1 drop of Elo's Amino's= I'm still not dosing Vodka at the moment, and i'm seeing good things from adding the Amino's so i'll be continuing to add the Amino's while i decide wether or not i should start dosing the Vodka again, i lost 2 of the 4 superman digita's already but sometimes that happens with coral and seeing as the rest of my 19 piece's of SPS are doing wonderful i'm honestly not sure that the Vodka had anything to do with the Superman digita's decline, since the addition of Vodka didn't seem to increase the growth rate of any of my superman piece's, but the forest fire digita has had a noticable improvement in growth compared to the superman, i got both the Forest Fire and Superman at the same time, the main colonly of the Forest fire is 10 times bigger than the superman colonly ever was, so slow growth is all i ever got out of my superman, it never thrived in my tank like it should have and so i'm not blamming the Vodka on it's downfall and if anything the Vodka improved the other 19 SPS i have so i'll just have to find something else to replace the superman with which will be easy

2-10-09 0 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Superman digi still isn't recovering so i assume it's a lost cause at this point since stopping the Vodka hasn't seem to have any positive or negative effect on it and it's still declining from whatever it has, everything else still looks great though, camera batteries died on me so new pics will have to be taken next week

2-11-09 1 drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Aminos= Since the superman isn't looking any better i'm starting to vodka dose again, but i think i'm going to keep it at 1 drop this time so that i can gauge wether or not 1 is enough to get the growth and PE i was looking for, 2 drops seemed like it might have been too much and maybe the Vodka built up a little in my system causing the superman to have an ill affect (but that is just speculation and probably not what cause the superman to go downhill) but as of right now i'm not worried about losing the last piece of superman digi and figure i would start doing the dosing again because all of my other SPS have never looked better and none of them showed ill signs from 1 or 2 drops of Vodka so 1 drop should be enough to keep the growth consistant like it was when i was doing 2 drops and hopefully nothing else in my tank will have an issue with this

2-12-09 1 Drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Aminos= Superman digi is completely gone and half of my deepwater acro is RTNing but so far the recession has stopped

1 Drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Growth and color on everything else is fantastic, only have had 2-3 issues with some SPS since the start of Vodka dosing but i've gotten the growth and PE results i was hoping for, my yellow picolopora seems to get white patches when vodka dosing and recovers quickly after the stop of Vodka, My superman digi never picked up in growth or PE since the start of the Dosing and all 4 small piece's i had of my superman digi are now gone, something caused them to RTN/STN and i'm not sure i can blame it on the Vodka since everything else seems good, the only other issue i've had with the Vodka is half of my deep water acro dying but half of the colony is left still so it could recover

1 Drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Since the restart of dosing i've had a small cyano outbreak, but everything else has been steadily improving and growth continues to be stable, haven't had any other issues at this point

1 Drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Still getting great growth and PE, also starting to think that daily Vodka dosing probably isn't the way to go with my system anymore since things have kindof hit a plateu and i'm not confident in upping the dosage back to 2 drops at the moment, i'm thinking Vodka might be a 2-3 time a week addition with the rest of my supplements since it does have an affect but it's not as pronounced now and i could get it to be more pronounced with 2 drops but my yellow picolopora develops white splotches after 3-4 days at 1 drop so 2 drops would be too much for it to handle IMO

1 Drop of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= Tank is looking great i think i'm done doing Daily dosing for now, i want to buy a bigger skimmer and continue with my reverse light cylce to get close to a ULNS than i am now, Vodka has had a great affect on my tank but it has either been over saturated since the month long dosing period or i've had some issues and had to back the dosing down and stop it here and there, this is a proven method and it works, but for long term use it might not be the best route with seeing what i've seen on my own tank, i'm most likely going to dose the Vodka Tues Wendsday and Thursday of everyweek, since i don't feel that it is needed everyday to promote sucess or obtain good results from it's addition

2-17-09 0 Drops of Vodka, 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's= The Amino's still seem affective at producing PE and Color, The Addition of Vodka will not be done daily anymore until im able to get a bigger skimmer on my tank and start daily dosing again, i'll be dosing the Vodka only 3 days a week from now on, i've only noticed good things with it, and only lost 1 complete coral during this trial so to me it's proven itself as a good method to help me obtain the same results that everyone is ultimately looking for in this hobby, and i reccomment dosing Vodka if you feel your corals just aren't at the potential they should be, but keep in mind to start slow and Stability with this is key

My Alk is 8 DKH

My Calc is 450ppm

My Mag is 1300+

This is what i've kept it at for the last month+ with Vodka dosing, it is important to have your Alk/DKH as low as you can get it to NSW or else you will have burning on your tips and in my opinion it's the one thing you have to watch when dosing Vodka

just wait till i get new pics up, tank looks amazing now lol

I'm still waiting on my damn sump to be drilled though and since it's snowed so bad here in the last 2 days noone at the glass place has showed up to drill my sump, so i really hope i can have the new pics up of everything running by friday, if not i'll have to take some Sunday or Monday

your rely dosing vodca? ok my house just shook brb. no clue what just happed..... but rely vodca?

your getting your fish drunk...

Vodka Dosing Pics 2-3-09, Switched back to my atinic + bulbs and these are the newest pics of the dosing this is 25 days into dosing, plus the addition of a 10g sump

My sump Setup

vodkadosing1001zj3.jpgvodkadosing1002mv2.jpgvodkadosing1003st1.jpgvodkadosing1004sd9.jpgvodkadosing1006ms4.jpg

The whole setup

vodkadosing1038lx4.jpg

FULL TANK SHOT VODKA DOSING 2-3-09 22 days in

vodkadosing1061ym6.jpg

This is what it looked like at the start of dosing, 3 days into it

vodkadosing1007ki1.jpg

This is what it looks like 22 days later, Notice the Improvement in color and PE on this one

vodkadosing1007coralvk6.jpg

vodkadosing1008coralar7.jpg

My Purple Valdalia that had no PE is improving nicely

vodkadosing1013dv3.jpg

Here it is now, notice the difference in PE and slightly better color

vodkadosing1015il1.jpg

vodkadosing1013ho0.jpg

This is the green milli that was behind the Vadalia that also had no PE in the picture above

It's improved nicely as well

vodkadosing1009rn7.jpg

Green Acro and White/Green milli, these two i was trying to improve PE, growth and color

vodkadosing1024py8.jpg

The growth of these two has been nice and steady and as you can see the color is also improving as well as PE

vodkadosing1012ad8.jpg

I was trying to improve color and PE on this blue milli(above the yellow piclopora)

vodkadosing1019ev2.jpg

Here is the blue milli now, and what an improvement it has made in only 22 days

vodkadosing1016pe6.jpg

Was trying to improve growth color and PE on these, Growth is steady but PE is still improving just not 100% yet

vodkadosing1021nq9.jpg

improvement so far 22 days in

vodkadosing1050zx3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well Vodka Dosing has stopped as well as daily amino's

I've had great results from the Vodka and Amino's but around 1 month things started to get inconsistant, the corals were still reacting nicely but i started to get a cyano outbreak and have since stopped the Vodka dosing, the amino's have stopped as well since i feel my colors and corals are doing fantastic and dont see a need to dose them daily at this point, plus part of me thinks the amino's were helping the Cyano

So far it's been 2 weeks without Vodka dosing and everything is still growing steady and color has been perfect

When i do water changes once a week i do 1 drop of Vodka and 1 Drop of Elo's Amino's Along with the Basic Calc/Alk/Mag routine and then i add 1.5ml of Tropic marin A+ and K+ elements and this is what i'm going to stick with until i get all my nusiance algea taken care of, my tank was never a ULNS and i'm still working to get it there, Vodka has helped but i feel that it isn't needed daily to get results, same with the Amino's

So far everything has been going great with my tank other than a few pieces of SPS comming unglued and falling into my Bubble coral....and my Deep water acro decided to STN during the Vodka dosing period, but i don't think the Vodka had anything to do with it, since it was the only piece to STN during the dosing other than my Superman Digita's which were never doing great to begin with, Frag swap is Oct 10th this year and i'll be saving up all my extra money for that so i can pack my tank with another 20-30 piece's of SPS and really thats all i'm looking forward to at the moment

I'll try to get some new pics up soon, life has been hectic lately

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the lack of update's my tank is still up and running and doing great, i've been busy as hell lately and my work removed all image uploading programs from the network so it's hard for me to put up new pics as often as i was before

I will hopefully have updated pics within the next month, i'm currently waiting to get dremel parts so i can do some fraging and clean things up a bit (for that fancy display pic, lol) but i will have atleast 2-5 new pics up within the next month since it's been so long since my last update, lol

• 3 weeks later...

New pics as promised,

I am currently Running a pheonix 14k 150w hqi, and 2 (24w) Coral wave Coral Growth Accelerator T5's

i love the color and results of these T5's they give the color of actinic with a blue/purple hue and have more PAR than the giessmann atinic+ i was using which is always a good thing to get coral growing

these pics were taken 10-4-09 so about 8 months later than the Vodka dosing pics, i've haven't went back to Vodka dosing even though i upgraded my skimmer to a MSX160 2 months after i stopped the vodka dosing

My tank currently is just dosed with Alk/Calc and Mag very rarely i will add some Elo's Amino's acid's though i don't feel it is nesscessary

Alk is mainted at 9-10dkh

Calc is always 450-500ppm

Mag is always 1500+ i keep it high to reduce algea, i'v had a ton of bubble algea lately and the new pics were after 3 months of keeping mag that high and continually removing the algea every week during my normal 5 gallon water change, i have not noticed any ill affects on any corals from keeping mag at this level

reefer061.jpg

reefer048.jpg

reefer011.jpg

reefer012.jpg

reefer013.jpg

reefer021.jpg

reefer009.jpg

reefer015.jpg

Next update will be awhile, but i'll be fragging most of whats in the tank and new pics will be up when i'm done trimming and after everything has had a chance to heal and recover

Happy Reefing to all, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :]]

• 3 months later...

first11110004.jpg

first11110038.jpg

first11110016.jpg

first11110022.jpg

first11110024.jpg

first11110031.jpg

first11110030.jpg

first11110028.jpg

first11110027.jpg

first11110015.jpg

first11110026.jpg

first11110012.jpg

first11110009.jpg

first11110044.jpg

first11110043.jpg

first11110042.jpg

first11110046.jpg

Tank is now dosed with 2 drops of Vodka and 2 drops of amino's a week

Alk is 8-9 Dkh

Calc is 500ppm

Mg is 1500ppm+

this is about a month into the new Vodka dosing regime, i dose Vodka and Elo's aminos 1 drop of Both on sunday and 1 drop of both again thursday, weekly 5g WC performed on sundays

Dose B-ionic for everything else

• 1 month later...

Archived