Pod Your Reef

(RSM) Substrate?

Oscar

How much live sand/argonite have others added to their units? The local shop has 20lb bags of live sand. How deep of a substrate will that result in for a RSM?

not enough, id say u need a min of atleast 30lbs of sand, id go even more hten that IMO, id do 2 bags for a total of 40

One 20lb bag will give u about 3/4 of an inch depth if spread out evenly.

So wiht 40lbs thatll leave ur depth at 1.5 inches. for 2 inches of depth ull need 55lbs.

hope that helps

not enough, id say u need a min of atleast 30lbs of sand, id go even more hten that IMO, id do 2 bags for a total of 40

One 20lb bag will give u about 3/4 of an inch depth if spread out evenly.

So wiht 40lbs thatll leave ur depth at 1.5 inches. for 2 inches of depth ull need 55lbs.

hope that helps

That's precisely what I needed to know.

Now what about mixing live sand with other substrate such as argonite or crushed coral? The live sand would provide the bacteria to seed the rest of the substrate while the argonite or coral would presumably supply calcium for the long term.

You could seed it by doing such.

I used 2 20lbs bags of live sand in my RSM.

If you would like to see what it looks like check out my tank thread. It is around 1 1/2" deep

That's precisely what I needed to know.

Now what about mixing live sand with other substrate such as argonite or crushed coral? The live sand would provide the bacteria to seed the rest of the substrate while the argonite or coral would presumably supply calcium for the long term.

yah thats a good way to seed it.

I added 30 lbs of live sand with the 35 lbs of live rock to my Red Sea Max in May 2007. Haven't lost any fish and the tank was set up since May 2007 and fully stocked by August 2007. I have 9 fish (Watchman Goby, Horned Blenny, Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Helfriche Goby, Yellow Assessor, A Clownfish, Sunburst Anthias, and a Allan's Damsel) and have not lost any. The Jawfish and Watchman Goby have enough sand to make burrows. Wish I had put a little more, but they do just fine. Probably have a depth of about 1.5-1.75 inches. Side note: also have some 2 different kinds of Xenia colonies, Mushroom corals, Frogspawn, Star polyps, 5 shrimp (2 cleaner, 3 peppermint), and tons of blue footed hermit crabs and snails. I do weekly water changes and constantly check chemistry of the tank.

Hope this helps,

Albe

Also, I am currently setting up a 14g Biocube for a Frogfish. Put 15 lbs of sand in that and got a sandbed about 1.75 inches deep.

Archived