Pod Your Reef

Basser1 BC29 Updated 6/4/12

basser1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That is one beautiful tank... what is the orangish yellow LPS looking coral in one of your original pictures on the lower left side? I LOVE it!

I knew I picked up the wrong biocube at the store. They were supposed to give me yours. When can I come by to get the correct biocube? Lmao

Amazing tank. I can only hope that mine looks half as good as yours one day.

That is one beautiful tank... what is the orangish yellow LPS looking coral in one of your original pictures on the lower left side? I LOVE it!

Not sure which one you're looking at, but if it's the dendro, it now looks like this with some regular feeding:

hpim2676.jpg

I knew I picked up the wrong biocube at the store. They were supposed to give me yours. When can I come by to get the correct biocube? Lmao

Amazing tank. I can only hope that mine looks half as good as yours one day.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm sure it will, just give it time.

I have never seen your tank.I didn't even know you had a biocube LOL.I am kinda like you I do not take many pictures of my tank either.If you look at my thread my tank is full of zoas,sps and chalices.I sold off all my SPS and zoas and now have leathers and LPS. I am into chalices,plates open brains and scolys.I should really start updated my thread. Any pictures of your hood?Why did you get rid of the brain?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All!

Well it looks like 2011 is starting off like cr@p for me, and I'm at a crossroads now. Last Sunday, I'm sitting in my e-z chair sipping on my coffee and lookin' at the tank and thinking how nice it looks. Then suddenly I hear a loud "POP" and my MH bulb went off. My first thought was I had a ballast that blew. So I wait a few minutes to let the bulb cool off and I turned the ballast on and the bulb fired up like normal. But, for some reason, I looked in the rear chamber and to my horror, I see the top of my stealth heater floating on top of the water! I thought... "WTH"??

I immediately unplugged it, but sadly, all of my corals got nuked! My sps, dendros, duncan, clam and my blue spot jawfish all died. Talk about the smell of death.... Pee youu! The water was so cloudy, you couldn't see in the tank.

After several massive water changes and running a ton of carbon, the smell is gone and the water is clear now. But the tank looks "butt ugly" and I don't know if I have the patience to go through this again as I had this tank going for 4 1/2 years without any major trouble (until now)! The silver lining is my picassos and pair of helfichi firefish did survive as well as some zoas and mushrooms. Right now, the water parameters look good, I was really concerned about any ammonia and nitrate build-up.

So I'm taking things slow and seeing what I want to do with it. Stay tuned for the re-birth.

Oh no, the gorgeous dendro didn't make it. :tears:

I was supposed to stop by here to tell you how gorgeous your tank and how much I loved your dendro. I am so sorry to hear about the heater wiping out a lot of your corals, basser. I do hope you continue. Your tank is an inspiration. One of the longest running tanks here, from what I can see. I'll be watching out for the rebirth.

That Sucks! But I know how you feel. I just had a tank crash. I heard a lot of bad things about those Stealth heaters.

I really can't complain too much, I had the Stealth heater for all of that time. But after reading about the Stealth heater failures on another thread, I will replace my heater annually. What's another $25 to $30 bucks for peace of mind?

Oh no, the gorgeous dendro didn't make it. :tears:

I was supposed to stop by here to tell you how gorgeous your tank and how much I loved your dendro. I am so sorry to hear about the heater wiping out a lot of your corals, basser. I do hope you continue. Your tank is an inspiration. One of the longest running tanks here, from what I can see. I'll be watching out for the rebirth.

Thanks for the compliment. Actually I lost 2 dendro colonies plus a baseball sized duncan colony that my clownfish loved! I'm letting things sit still for a few weeks before I start to add corals again. but believe me, I will be on the look-out for some dendros! ;)

Edited by basser1
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Basser!

Just wanted to check up on you and see how the tank is recovering. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks for asking!

After I got things settled as far as water quality goes, I did some re-arranging of the rocks, not too much though. I've been staying on top of water parameters and testing regularly and all is good. I also did a water change today. I still haven't added any corals yet although I'm on the look-out for a nice frag pack of acros to replace what I lost. I may wait 'til warmer weather though before I order any more. This winter has been playing heck as far as getting corals. I actually had 2 shipments come in DOA! The last frag pack I got, the seller used too many heat packs and actually cooked the corals. When I got the package, the box had a terrible odor before I even opened the box! I knew then something wasn't right! :o

I do have some small frags coming in from Mr. Coral this week and 1 of the corals is a chalice, this will be my first attempt at keeping one. Also, there will be a small dendro colony as well!

I did get a pleasant surprise. I noticed a rainbow monti seems to be making a nice recovery, and I noticed some really nice polyp extension on it! Whoo-Hoo!!

Edited by basser1
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear the monti is recovering. I'm starting to really like montis and would love to try one someday when my lighting can support it. I think it's time to take pics again! This is like starting over, so it's neat to document the regrowth of this tank. Of course, I'm excited to see what your dendro colony looks like. :D

How was the Mr. Coral shipment? Did everything make it alright? I waited until we got a 40+ degree day to order my live rock. I didn't want to take any chances.

Glad to hear the monti is recovering. I'm starting to really like montis and would love to try one someday when my lighting can support it. I think it's time to take pics again! This is like starting over, so it's neat to document the regrowth of this tank. Of course, I'm excited to see what your dendro colony looks like. :D

How was the Mr. Coral shipment? Did everything make it alright? I waited until we got a 40+ degree day to order my live rock. I didn't want to take any chances.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Last week I got a colony of aussie branching duncans. These are different from the colony I had before the crash, the heads were more clumped together than the branching form. The tentacles also have more of a purple/pink color to them. here is the dealers' pic:

duncan8heads79991.jpg

The order I got from Mr. Coral was "O.K.". Out of 5 corals I ordered, 2 were DOA. However, Mr. Coral did give me credit for those 2. The tiny dendro colony is eating, but the tentacles have not come out, I guess it still needs time?

The wife suprised me today for my B'Day and bought me 6 ORA acros, like the ones I lost. I should get those in on Friday, can't wait! These are Red Planet, Pearlberry, Bird of Paradise, Hawkins Blue, an Oregon Tort (which I've never had before), and a Sunset Millie.

Edited by basser1

I hope the chalice wasn't the one that was DOA. :o

Sounds like the rebuilding is going well. Glad to hear it. Oh, and Happy Birthday to you!!! Isn't it wonderful to have a supportive spouse? :D

I hope the chalice wasn't the one that was DOA. :o

Sounds like the rebuilding is going well. Glad to hear it. Oh, and Happy Birthday to you!!! Isn't it wonderful to have a supportive spouse? :D

Yep, unfortunately, the 2 corals I lost was the chalice and an orange setosa.

And the rebuild is going O.K., but you know how that is, never fast enough!

The wife and I have been married for 35 years..... I think I'll keep her! ;)

Edited by basser1