Cultivated Reef

And in the beginning

spanko

New FTS.

PICT0107.jpg

Henry, that is just stunning! What an exciting concept you're realizing here. 'Bout time you brought us up to date!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dive, long time. How are things with you and the family?

Nothing much new to report, I will get some pics up this weekend. Just letting everything grow and do it's thing. Thanx for checking in though.

Things have been going good....just finally updating my thread as well and trying to keep up with it on a more regular basis. Just did some massive maintenance yesterday so that was fun.

I am kind of at the same stage right now with my tank....letting the wallet catch up and things grow out :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking with C est ma a while back and thought it might be a good idea to post the links to the previous threads related to my tank so here they are.Sort of a history of what has happened. They are in order of appearance.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...l=I'm+tired

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1331380

Also some new pictures.

fts1-1.jpg

fts2.jpg

greenmonti.jpg

greenmontiorangepolyps.jpg

greenslimer.jpg

lwftside.jpg

orangemonti.jpg

porites.jpg

purplestylaphora.jpg

rightside.jpg

superman.jpg

tablingacro.jpg

zoas.jpg

Nick's Reef

Spanko it's beautiful! I really want to get some sps but a new light is out of the question due to the cost and there is no way that I'm going to deal with daily dosing.

The current inhabitants are

Talbots Damsel

Blue Green Chromis

Neon Goby

Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish

Pom Pom Crab

Emerald Crab

Lettuce Nudibranch

To deal with the ongoing problem I have with Caulerpa I added a Scopas Tang 2". Went back to the LFS for lack of doing anything. Yellow Tang 2". Went back to the LFS for lack of doing anything. I am now looking for a FoxFace small to try for a while. I had a sea hare also but have not seen him in a while. Not sure where he is of even if he is at this point.

I got rid of the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and put a ball of Chaeto, bag of Purigen and bag of Chemi Pure Elite in the second chamber. It has an Azoo Palm light over it 6700K. Also a modified tray with some filter pad and carbon pad on it. It is about a 2" square that hangs on the wall between the 1st and 2nd chamber and quiets the waterfall from chamber 1 to no noise at all. I bought an Oceanic skimmer that seems to be working about as well as the Sapphire did. It is in chamber 1. Oh yeah the Stealth heater is in chamber 2 also.

I guess that is all for now. Just letting it grow out. Hope you enjoy the pics. Will update in another month.

Thank you Nick. Dosing is not so bad. ESV B-Ionic is pretty easy. You do have to keep up with it though the SPS just soak the stuff up.

:o:o:o:o WOW! Henry, that's looking so, so beautiful! That top tier, from whatever angle, is just filling in so naturally and the colors are so breathtaking. I could stare at this tank for hours!

And your close-ups are out of this world. What a wonderful collection of montis you have!

That Caulerpa is actually quite attractive in there, but I suppose it requires tons of pulling...Nevertheless, I'd sure trade my Bryopsis for it...

Wow. Not sure I can wait another month for an update. :D

Super job. Congrats!

--Diane

Thank you Diane. That means a lot to me coming from you. Yes if the Caulerpa could be contained to a few spots it is very nice, but unfortunately is multiplies like a "weed" and requires constant pruning.

Looks amazing Henry. Great job so far. It looks like things have taken off nicely and started to grow out some. Love all the color in there and I agree that the Caulerpa really doesn't look all that bad in my opinion. Of course you're not going to let it get out of control but it adds a nice splash of green in there.

Where did you get your green and orange monti caps? They are simply gorgeous. I have been trying to find some locally or someone that would ship online with little luck.

Thanx Dive. I just keep checking the local fish stores when they get new stock in. Things are starting to grow out some now. I find myself, as they do grow out, changing the scene a little by rearranging. Hardest part is to learn to leave things alone. I am happy with it so far and have some room, actually a fairly large open canyon behind the orange monti and left of the green tabling acro for something else. Will probably have to purchase a pc. of base rock or Tufa to put there to build it up a little then maybe find a purple brush gorgonian, and maybe a nice pc. of pocillapora, or a digitata.

Thanx for the comments and for taking a peak.

I LOVE your Monti's and sps!!!

If I can ever get my tanks back on track I'd love to get some grow out frags from you.

Lookin' good, keep up the good work!

The rock is actually a Porites sp. coral and the worms (there are many colors on this pc. I will try to get some better pictures) have a commensal relationship with this coral.

The rock is actually a Porites sp. coral and the worms (there are many colors on this pc. I will try to get some better pictures) have a commensal relationship with this coral.

Some of this coral came on a rock I bought with a toadstool and wasn't sure what it was. It seems to be doing good. The polyps are a white-ish color and there are worm/barnicals under it's skin. I'm not sure if it's a worm. The have little fingers that come out and grab the water like a filter crab.

Got a picture? My rock has one commensal crab in it. His claws are white with brown stipes. He stays in his hole in the rock and only his claws and feelers poke out.

Since I know how you love info Spanko....they are Spirobranchus worms, better known as Christmas tree worms. Here is a really good article all about them:

Advanced Aquarist - Invertebrate Column

On a number of dive trips I have seen spots where there are thousands of these on different coral formations. They are spectacular to watch open and close when something comes near.

Thank you dive. I had read that article while still trying to decide if I wanted to try the reef flat biotope in such a small footprint tank. It must be spectacular to see in the wild where the Porites rocks a enormous and to be filled with these Polychaetes opening and closing. What a sight.

Thank you reefone. Do you have a tank thread? I like to see others tanks that take the time to look at mine.

nope no tank thread :) to lazy. but i do like how u can see ur tank progress over time.

do u get ur sps local or online? the reason i ask is i know ur in mi also.

I have bought two from the Propagator here on N-R. He is a great guy to work with and his coral is top of the line. Mostly though I get things here local to me, Kees, Anchor Bay, Choice, Atlantis.

Archived