Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Mantis Tank....

HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

well heres my newest toy, mantis tank ive been wanting forever. i actually found a use for my stock BC29 hood too....tell me what you think :D problem is the tank wasnt built correctly so im elbow deep in the tankw ith a file making the overflow actually give the return pump enough flow to work. blech! but good things are worth working hard for. heres pics cuz we all know pics make everyone happy!

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0007-2.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0011-4.jpg

IMG_0012-2.jpg

tell me what you guys think

looks good caps. glad you FINALLY found a tank/setup to use. the return pump your using is most likely bigger than what the tank was built for, which is why u are filing away. theres a calculator on the 'other site' that tells how many teeth needed for a particular flow pump. I bet you are under that number and thats what causing the problem.

I'd also stick that heater in the back somewhere maybe where the chaeto is

HeyLookItsCaps

i actualyl just did that, i already filed it down and it looks bad now so i gotta go perfectionist on it.....its equivilent to a MJ900 266 gph. its a 22 gallon i didnt think it would be too powerful

HeyLookItsCaps

from what ive read 20-30 gall is optimal for an O Scyll. theres one at my LFS thats under 2 inches...you think itll be that bad?

He should be fine. When it starts going on 5" you may want to consider something bigger in the 30-ish gallon range for optimum water quality(to prevent shell disease) and more room to roam. As for now, you may also want to move that thermometer to the back as well. You won't want that spilling out into the tank once it gets smashed. All in all, that is one awesome mantis tank that I'm sure most mantids would be jealous of. :happy:

HeyLookItsCaps

ya that thermo is just there for cycling purposes just like the heater in the front. checkign salinity, gettign temps right, then i throw it all in back :) gonna go get a big piece of LR today cuz it looks so empty in there. mantis dont need alot of LR tho do they

Just give him enough rock to make a nice size burrow while still allowing him some sandbed to roam and hunt on. You can make a little rubble zone as a sort of "battlefield."

HeyLookItsCaps

heres his castle......

IMG_0026-3.jpg

IMG_0002-3.jpg

IMG_0001-4.jpg

that hole goes thru the rock into the sand about 6-7 inches. im hoping he takes up residence there. what do you all think

DogfoodEnforcer

i cant wait to see this tank (and resident) grow and mature. it already looks like a mantis castle...awesome!

ive been wanting an O.scyllarus for a while now. Finally i have hijacked my gf's 35G tank...but i dont know if it will work. it's glass...could it work? or would i be better off with a smaller species in that size (and thickness) tank?

i cant wait to see this tank (and resident) grow and mature. it already looks like a mantis castle...awesome!

ive been wanting an O.scyllarus for a while now. Finally i have hijacked my gf's 35G tank...but i dont know if it will work. it's glass...could it work? or would i be better off with a smaller species in that size (and thickness) tank?

that should be perfect. there really aren't any confirmed cases of mantids breaking glass especially in larger tanks. i think i remember dr. roy saying that it started from a large chiragra being kept in a 5.5g tank(ie really thin glass, a large, agressive mantis, and still a rumor. hth.

HeyLookItsCaps

travissurfer is VERY knowledgeable with mantis. id tend to agree with him. i know we ALL hate RC over here on NR, but they have a forum dedicated to mantis that Dr. Caldwell visits. full of useful info

ha! i got rick rolled!!

cool tank! love the thickness. i want to set up a mantis tank in the future so ill be checking up on this time to time. looks like your off to a great start.

good luck with everything!

Archived