SaltCritters.com

AcroporaLokani's Frag Tank

AcroporaLokani

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AcroporaLokani
just curious, how come your frags are not all that colorful? they all look kinda..."bleached"

My camera is just bad, there all nice colored in real life. A few of the acropora corals have even become some what bi-color and have gained green and purple.

Looks like a bomb went off in that large tank, do you plan on redoing it?

Which tank? The 80 gal isnt done yet and the frag tank has about 125 frags in it.

AcroporaLokani

Well I left my house for a few days only to come back to a small cycle in my frag tank. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

There wasn't much biological filtration in the two 12 gal tanks, there were many frag plugs so Im sure they did help. But the two tanks were somewhat unstable without the sand. If I every try another AIO I will for sure use a deep sand bed to help it become more stable.

The good thing about an AIO tank is that it looks clean and most of the wires from the heater/power heads are hidden behind the false wall. I would never buy another aquapod (Or another current product) But if I were you I would look up the tank that best fits your needs and have some fun making hundreds of coral frags.

(And this is the 100th post on this thread)

Now that I think about it, it would be pretty easy to set up some live rock rubble under the bottom rack. Less iffy than a DSB, and No issues with sandstorms :-P.

Since it would be a frag tank I am not that concerened with appearance. The simplicity of an AIO is what made me think of it as a nice frag tank. Im too much of a control freak/DIYer to use an AIO as my main tank.

AcroporaLokani
Now that I think about it, it would be pretty easy to set up some live rock rubble under the bottom rack. Less iffy than a DSB, and No issues with sandstorms :-P.

Since it would be a frag tank I am not that concerned with appearance. The simplicity of an AIO is what made me think of it as a nice frag tank. Im too much of a control freak/DIYer to use an AIO as my main tank.

The only problem with the LR rubble under the frag racks is that it may collect gunk after a while, You would just have to clean the bottom of the tank when you do water changes.

And I was looking in to ALO tanks and I think I have decided to get a nano-cube 6 for my main reef tank, I have the 80 gal that I posted pics of on page 5 but its more of a fish only tank that I would like to have only tangs in. And with the NC6 it would be around $130 shipped. But I would still keep my 29 gal frag tank and my 80 gal Fish-only tank up and running. I just dont have a real reef tank right now which is why I would get the 6 gal.

AcroporaLokani

I ran out of frag plugs today..... So I made some more.

img7338xc5.jpg

And what plans do I have for the new frag plugs?

Pink tiger eye zoa.

img7336dk8.jpg

This is an old pic but, Yellow scroll coral, green tiger eye zoa and green pagoda.

img5963vw7.jpg

I made about 450 frag plugs and no I didn't go overboard.... Well maybe a little bit.

lilredneckman

lol thats a lot of plugs! Can you exactly tell me how you make them? i know you have said it before but i dont remember where.

AcroporaLokani
lol thats a lot of plugs! Can you exactly tell me how you make them? i know you have said it before but i dont remember where.

I just spread cement out on a trash bag that I lay out on the floor/deck, then I take a piece of PVC and cut the cement like its a cookie cutter thing. Then after they dry I soak the plugs in distilled white vinegar for 48 hours so they cure, You then rinse them until you don't smell the vinegar Then soak them in water for another 48 hours and your good to go. Its all in the "how to make frag plugs" thread stickied to the top of the aquaculture board. My post was on the second to last page.

And it only took about 5 LBS of cement mix to make the 450 frag plugs.

AcroporaLokani

Well the frag plugs are now done with there vinegar soak, now two days for the plugs to soak in fresh water.....

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani

Ok, well I fragged the pink zoas and a scroll coral colony yesterday. My camera is out of batteries but ill be heading to the store tonight so ill post some pics of the new corals and a new FTS.

AcroporaLokani

PICS!

img7390dn0.jpg

img7420bz4.jpg

Unknown zoas and unknown pally ID please?

img7435wg3.jpg

img7436wr2.jpg

img7446vh6.jpg

img7415dn4.jpg

Yellow acropora w/ green polyps under two 70 watt 10K MH and one 10 watt actinic T5.

img7447hh6.jpg

Yellow acropora w/ green polyps under 10K only

img7448hx2.jpg

Full Tank Shot

img7441zk3.jpg

And a pic of my beloved vlamingii tang

img7437jg0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani

Well selling the corals didn't go so well. All the people expected me to pay for shipping.... So I guess Ill just have to keep all the coral oh well (yea right :P )

AcroporaLokani

Well yesterday I added an alk supplement and it stained all the glass inside the tank white. I have used the same exact alk supplement before (from the same bottle) and I have never had a problem. I tried to use a magfloat on the stuff and it did nothing but made a nails on a chalkboard sound.

Ill have to take a razor blade to the glass. Hopefully it will clean it up.

AcroporaLokani

I use seachem reef builder. Its just so odd. the water even turned white and I had to do a 5 gallon water change just to get it to clear up. But its just encrusted on the glass now... So odd.

Thanks Weetabix.

AcroporaLokani
very nice tank shots :0

Thanks

I think I do too!!!
i want pink tiger eye zoas!!

I can PM you two if you want. I can ship if you are willing to pay for the shipping. I have I think 20-30 frags of them.

Thanks

I can PM you two if you want. I can ship if you are willing to pay for the shipping. I have I think 20-30 frags of them.

That would be great... I'd like to get some other stuff as well to offset shipping if possible?

That, and I want to wait until I get my frag racks from Sushi 'till I get any more stuff!

Is that ok?

AcroporaLokani

I PM'd you, And I can send/sell frags until I am out of stock so it would be no problem if you wanted to buy just one or even one hundred. As long as you'll pay for the shipping/frag I'm fine with selling however many frags you would like.

AcroporaLokani

So yesterday I go to get some groceries and I come home to find my new puppy eating my camera. Completely destroyed, I left it on a chair with the intent to take growth rate pictures of my coral colonies and frags. So now im in the market to buy a new camera LOL. Any one know of a good brand that takes nice macro shots?

So yesterday I go to get some groceries and I come home to find my new puppy eating my camera. Completely destroyed, I left it on a chair with the intent to take growth rate pictures of my coral colonies and frags. So now im in the market to buy a new camera LOL. Any one know of a good brand that takes nice macro shots?

OUCH that sucks!

I've been happy with my sony SD-850, but it's still a point and shoot... goot for all around everything, but it does do time lapse too..

Also - on the frag discs, mine have been soaking in water for ~48 hours now, switched out the water last night, so new water each 24 hours.... think they're good? I made about 120 discs between large and small..

did you just dump them all in your tank after wards or slowly add them? Somewhere I hear 1 disc for each gallon of volume... which would mean roughly 70 discs... got lots of room in my sump..

Archived