inTank Media Baskets

10 Gallon lighting Help??

tclinnard

I have a 10 gallon tank, and am about to start constructing a light hood and canopy. My plan was to build a hood, with two fluorescent lights - a triton 18" 15w, and also a Blue Moon 18" 15w. The main reason I want to do it like this is because I already have all the parts, and I have read that the Triton bulb mixed with the blue moon provide exceptional growth. However, that was for larger tanks, and the bulbs were 40w 48". Will this be enough light to grow any corals? Anybody have any suggestions for corals that I should add? Any help is appreciated. THanks,

Trent C.

Trent: You're looking at 30W of lighting there...that's only sufficient for the low light coral species. Read around the board some members have light wattage in excess of 100W to light their 10G tanks. I'm on a 5G and I already have 18W but I'm only cycling now I'm adding another bulb when I get my next allowance...maybe even two more PC bulbs.

thanks for the input. I just read through most of the old threads and heard mention of a "10W 50/50 mini compact by Coralife". Anybody got any info on this little guy? Would a couple of these work well on my 10 gal? Also, does anybody know what equivalent wattage a 10W mini compact light would produce. Thanks,

Trent C

I guess it would if you put a lot of them...the bare minimum I think you should be looking at when it comes to lighting is 5W/Gallon that's minimum.

it's not worth the money/trouble to put a couple of those over your tank. To get the ideal 5+ watts per gallon, that means you need at least 5 over it... that's a major cram job, PLUS your replacing 5 bulbs constantly!:(

go here instead. Look for the 19" one. It's $105, but you WON'T regret it! It'll give ya 72Watts, 7.2 Watts per gallon, and you only have to replace 2 bulbs every year, not 5! It's pretty nice as you can order it w/ or w/o fans and has two independent switches, one for each light. I have it over my 10 and it's as bright as can be!B) Looks great! HTH...

~Joel

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hey Crimper, what kind of corals do you grow in there? Is the light sufficient? Thanks,

Trent C.

As for corals, I have just begun placing corals (short on funds)....My lighting does however restrict the types of corals i can keep. But from my research I think im going to add some Devil Finger, Mushrooms, and maybe even some zoos.

Billdemart

Here's another option. It's what I have on my 10 gallon.... I thought about building my own too before I found this. 100 bucks and it doesn't raise my tank temp hardly at all and its 96 watts. Has built in fans.

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

20" Coralife Aqualight™ Deluxe Series - Single Linear Strip with 96 watt 50/50™ "Quad" Compact fluorescent Lamp -Square Pin Base

* A complete hood system, ready to be placed over your tank.

* Single 96W bulb unit, great for nano reefers who have a small tank, but require lots of light!

* 96 watt Coralife 50/50™ Compact Fluorescent Quad Style Lamp Included. Quad lamps are smaller than standard 96W CF bulbs (they are about 16.5" in length).

* A great unit from a reputable company, these powerful compact fluorescent units are high quality!

* Built-in Electronic Ballast.

* Two built-in fans!

* Sleek Aluminum Housing.

* Highly-Polished Reflector.

* Acrylic Lens Cover.

* On/Off Switch.

* Dimensions -Unit alone: 20 1/4"L x 7 1/4"W x 2 5/8"H

* The optional mounting legs will raise the unit 1 1/2" high over the top of the tank, and the legs can expand to fit 2.5" longer than the unit itself. In other words, this 36" unit can be mounted on a 38.5" long tank, with the mounting legs installed.

* The mounting legs can fit tanks smaller than the unit's length, since they mount in a channel that runs the entire length of the fixture.

Here are some pics of mine.

50-50.jpg

Got%20lights!.jpg

Tank%20shot%20day%202%20-%20from%20couch.jpg

Overhead%20view%20lights.jpg

The 96w 50/50 Quad seems great. However, it looks like you have to completely remove it to get into the tank. Am I right about this?

Billdemart
Originally posted by tclinnard

The 96w 50/50 Quad seems great.  However, it looks like you have to completely remove it to get into the tank.  Am I right about this?

Yes but removing it is not hard, you just pick it up and set it down.

• 2 weeks later...

hey I was thinking about buying this light, so help a brother out:

1) Will my hands melt when I lift it off the tank?

2) Did you get the optional legs, if so, like em?

3) Is it a brushed silver color? Hard to tell.

Thanks for the help!

I just got mine in friday. I'm new at this, but it seems great.

1) doesn't get very hot

2) i've read that the legs keep the water from heating up. I like them because it gives you a little room to mess with things without having to completely remove the whole light

3) I would call the color a faint gold.

THe light comes highly recommended by this site, and it seems to be a great bargain. Hope this helps some. Later,

tc

1) No it doesnt get very hot. The fans work very well IMO. It gets warm, but won't burn your skin by lifting it off the tank

2) Definitely get the legs. I love the legs.

3) Yep its gold alright!

Archived