Coral Vue Hydros

The Full Monti

dshnarw

Heres an odd one it has white flesh and glowing green polyps, has any one seen this color of monti before?

img4984zy1.jpg

I have seen the white/green one at a coral farmer's market that Tyree sponsored here in Portland, Oregon. I think that the vendor was AWExotics. The guy called it a "lillypad" Montipora mollis. This is what it looked like

P1010113.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

It is white with green polyps under high light, but will turn all green under lower PC light.

I got one, and it has now turned brown under my T5 TEK light. :( I am hoping that new bulbs will help it out.

The good news is that it survived a round of monti-eating-nudibranchs that I had. :( Most of my other montis did not make it.

This is the monti that introduced the nudibranchs into my tank. Strangely enough, it also survived treatment.

pics023.jpg

This is one of the first corals that I put into my tank. Picture016.jpg

I love montiporas, they are one of the reasons that I started up my tank again last year, now I need to not get any for a while while I make sure that the nudibranchs are out of my tank.

dsoz

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found this at an LFS yesterday for CHEAP, but the pic sucks - color won't come through. Very nice green, with brown polyps and purple growth edges.

HPIM3873.jpg

kiwi confusa

Think I'm gonna cut that top rectangle off for frags...looks too unnatural as is.

somewhat better color in new pic:

HPIM3888.jpg

pokerstar?? (THIS THING IS WEIRD!! looks green sometimes, red sometimes):

HPIM3762.jpg

I have to say, I'm not convinced of the pokerstar, but I've definitely never seen one like it. Certainly not the same thing as the Mr. Coral pokerstar... I can't get the pics to do it, but at some angles the polyps are green, some they're red. It's like a mix between rainbow and the pokerstar I'm familiar with...

i think it might be a sunset... maybe... looks like the sunset frag at my LFS. im waiting to get some good prices on rainbow sunset montis. then i'll post some pics.

i think it might be a sunset... maybe... looks like the sunset frag at my LFS. im waiting to get some good prices on rainbow sunset montis. then i'll post some pics.

FAIL.

Whats the lighting of choice for your monti's? (All)

mine are under some mix of a 150w HQI and a 70w HQI, depending on location in the tank (both 14k bulbs). But I don't like the setup (it's what I had sitting around before the last tank upgrade). I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 6x39w T5 in the next few weeks, so maybe I'll get some comparison shots after they settle in.

Fraggle Reef has some nice stuff in (and a pretty cheap confusa colony, with a very purple rim).

Anyone know where all these new, weirdo montis are coming from - like the monti nodosa and such in the DF&S diver's den?

Mine have never done better, been more colorful, or grown faster than they do under 14k MH. I am talking about a centimeter a week in some spots on my big orange montipora cap.

i use one 250W MH @ 20k, one 96W PC @ 15k, one 96W PC @ actinic.

FAIL.

oh well, just a guess

Im not sure the exact name, but this cap is a dark purple/brown with white rimmed polyps is growing slowly but surely under 150w halides. Some of my other caps grow pieces in a month bigger than this entire frag, but I am happy none the less!

IMG_5528.jpg

looks like an idaho grape.

Yeah I wasnt gonna say that because I dont know for sure, but I sure hope it is. It is really starting to put on growth and new color after 4 months. I found it bleached at a LFS.

It looked like this when I got it!

IMG_0408.JPG

This another shot taken with a 100mm macro lens. Im not sure if I already posted this on this thread, if I did sorry! You can see the new growth edge on it in the first pic compared to this pic from a month ago...

IMG_9421.JPG

I'm falling in love with encrusting montis. I need to get my hands on a rainbow and sunset monti now for sure.

I picked these guys up about 3 weeks ago :)

Superman with lineage traced to the original colony:

DSCN5768.jpg

Adjusting white balance in PS always worked so well until you end up with a coral thats this blue :(

Purple polyped purple rimmed monti cap :D

DSCN5775.jpg

Edit: I've been growing mine under a 6x39 watt T5 setup. Its interesting to note how different colors can end up even with similar lighting schemes. It reinforces the idea that lighting isn't nearly as important for color as water quality and proper flow :)

I'm falling in love with encrusting montis. I need to get my hands on a rainbow and sunset monti now for sure.

just got my rainbow last week im at my dad's work, so no pictures of it in the tank till tonight. you wont be disappointed with these corlas man, they ship well, so don't be afraid to order them online. they have real nice colors.

if you were in socal, i could refer you to a great lfs selling 2" frags of rainbow monti for only $40. :)

I'm more into trading anyway. There's a wealth of good corals to choose from in the NOVA area if you've got the right leverage.

Plus I'd really like to know that what I'm buying is the real deal, so to speak. Anybody can find a pretty coral and put a name to it. I want to make sure that I'm paying a premium for the real coral and not some coral that was wild caught and will lose its color after 2 weeks.

More montis!!!!

This is the *REAL* Montipora danae (and hence, my ranting about superman/pokerstar/rainbows not being real danae):

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

And just a brown polyp, purple tip digi that divides my rock up, but it was a good pic:

IMG_0367.jpg

cropped from that shot:

macro.jpg

Cool, still trying to get a sunrise and superman monti

me too!!! cant find a decent sunrise frag anywhere

More montis!!!!

This is the *REAL* Montipora danae (and hence, my ranting about superman/pokerstar/rainbows not being real danae):

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

^^^ i like :) how much the frag cost you???

SeeDemTails

Nice macro shot of my Hulk Monti I forgot I had. I will have some small frags of this soon if anyone wants to trade other rare montis.

IMG_5082.JPG

SeeDemTails

I have a HUGE colony of rainbow that I aquired for really cheap, but it has a bad case of nudis right now that I am working on encasing in super glue whenever I see one around the bottom., so it wont be getting fragged or put anywhere near my display for a while, but when it is healed it will be sweet.

Archived