SaltCritters.com

The Full Monti

dshnarw

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I'm a huge fan of this thread and I want to see it keep going. I know I posted pics of my montis already but I've got some updated shots and this thread needs a bump.

CSC_1348.jpg

CSC_1351-1.jpg

CSC_1353.jpg

CSC_1355.jpg

Pokerstar that browned out on me a bit. Not sure why yet.

CSC_1359.jpg

CSC_1363.jpg

CSC_1365.jpg

CSC_1368.jpg

DSC_1349-1.jpg

DSC_1356-1.jpg

DSC_1357-1.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

DSC_1361.jpg

DSC_1366.jpg

So that's quite a few but there are some more in there that didn't get their pics taken.

Bill

CSC_1363.jpg

Some nice looking stuff there! really like this guy^^^

I need to get some new pics of mine now that I'm restocking...

Anyone have the Tyree setosa yet?

I got the setosa in a trade I did with an RC guy but that trade went to hell and I lost 3 pieces, including that one. The other 2 were Tyree true undata and ATL pink polyp cap. Very not kewl. Sweet looking coral though.

Bill

I got the setosa in a trade I did with an RC guy but that trade went to hell and I lost 3 pieces, including that one. The other 2 were Tyree true undata and ATL pink polyp cap. Very not kewl. Sweet looking coral though.

Bill

that sucks. the tyree undata is another on my currently VERY long wish list of montiporas. Color on the setosa lives up to the hype?

Most definitely. Looked like an orange hi-liter. It was really neat while it lasted. The true undata was kewl but not uber kewl like people talk it up. That pink polyp cap was really nice though.

Bill

A round of applause for the varanus37 slide show!!! I like it!

Rainbows can brown like that in my experience. So can superman. I would guess more light, but I have seen my go through phases for seemingly no reason.

I forgot I had some montis that I never posted! It feels like XMas ;)

Tyree flower petal cap in back, morningstar in front (I lost this piece thougth :( ) and Blue Devel monti.

tyreeflowerpetalcap2.jpg

montipora spongodes

greenchipmontipora.jpg

Thank you! Your stuff looks pretty nice as well. My superman has done a bit of browning here and there like you said. Seems random. Not sure how much more high light I can get. They're under the 250 pretty well a straight shot down. They're fairly far down in the tank so that might be an issue. When I get moved I can try and raise them higher. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you! Your stuff looks pretty nice as well. My superman has done a bit of browning here and there like you said. Seems random. Not sure how much more high light I can get. They're under the 250 pretty well a straight shot down. They're fairly far down in the tank so that might be an issue. When I get moved I can try and raise them higher. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks.

I have my superman about 3 inches deep in the water under a 250W 14K and it still goes through browning phases - I don't think it is not enough light.

There is and advanced aquarist article on montipora denae and the PAR levels that cause it to reach saturation. It was not very high. 200 or so I think?

Really. That's pretty crazy. I'll have to do some experimenting after the move. The LR 'scape now doesn't allow me for much movement of those bulky frag discs.

Bill

Really. That's pretty crazy. I'll have to do some experimenting after the move. The LR 'scape now doesn't allow me for much movement of those bulky frag discs.

Bill

Yep. From the article:

<<SNIP>>

If we assume that calcification rates are linked to rates of photosynthesis, then Figure 2 takes on added meaning. Examination of Figure 2 suggests photosynthesis (and hence calcification and growth) would theoretically be about the same at 250 µmol·m²·sec and 500 µmol·m²·sec. However, bleaching of a Superman specimen has been noted at a light intensity of only 300 µmol·m²·sec (and a photoperiod of 11 hours. It seems certain that light - and not temperature, ultraviolet radiation, or any other 'nasty' factor - is responsible for the bleaching. This observation certainly deserves further investigation).

The bottom line - analyses suggest these two M. danae specimens and their zooxanthellae seem to prefer lower light conditions, where intensity is only 100 - 200 µmol·m²·sec.

<</SNIP>>

Superman Montipora Advanced Aquarist article

And while we are at it:

Montipora undata Advanced Aquarist article

gulfsurfer101

Browned out superman that I'm hoping will color up for me.

thingsNstuff044.jpg

The part I fragged off the base

AP24008.jpg

Green velvet monti

AP24010.jpg

Just thought I do some editing to show the colors of the superman coming through

tankswap007.jpg

Now if I can just get it to cover up that nasty scar on the top.

• 2 months later...

I have:

Tyree LE Sunset (With lineage, Tyree-JuicyCorals.com-MitchReef-Me!)

Green Digi

German Blue-Polyped Digi

Browned out Purple Digi

Red Cap

Green Cap

ORA Spongodes

Will get pics up soon, check my tankt hread if you can't wait! :)

hey hppd, under what light conditions do you keep your green encrusting monti?

mine looked quite the same as yours when i got it, but has turned quite pale under strong light. my LFS recommended no direct lighting, and i experience more growth on the lower side of the frag plug.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of mine:

Yellow/green cap with purple polyps

IM000031.jpg

Orange digi

IM000006.jpg

Green cap with blue polyps and danae frag behind it

IM000045.jpg

Sunset monti frag encrusting

IM000157.jpg

Rose polyped cap and green encrusting monti with red polyps and purple rim to the left of it

IM000169.jpg

Purple digi colony growing on the top shelf of my aquascape

IM000168.jpg

Archived