Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Full Monti

dshnarw

I can't believe there's no montipora pics thread, and thus I think we need one.

SHOW ME THOSE MONTI PICS!!!!

I'll start:

orange nodosa with white polyps:

untitled11.jpg

purple undata:

HPIM3243.JPG

kiwi confusa:

HPIM3244.JPG

orange cap:

HPIM3264.JPG

Tyree LE strawberry patch cap:

HPIM3262.JPG

rainbow:

HPIM3308.JPG

rainbow macro:

HPIM3324.JPG

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
circusordie16

my purple encrusting monti that i was told is a mollis? my orange cap is too common and my superman doesnt have good enough colors for pictures yet.

12-18-07006.jpg

nice montis everyone!

my purple encrusting monti that i was told is a mollis? my orange cap is too common and my superman doesnt have good enough colors for pictures yet.

12-18-07006.jpg

Looks like it could be a mollis. I have a hard time telling them apart until they've grown out enough to see the morphology.

I need to get pics of my two big colonies tomorrow...

I got this frag from a buddy and I'm trying to grow it out. I'm not sure of the common name but I'm calling it a "reverse pokerstar" monti:

e350b12a.jpg

Barney purple montipora digitata:

46eac44e.jpg

shaggydoo541

I've got quite a few montis but not that many pics of them I'm afraid. Plus a lot of my SPS are hating life right now because I'm taking them on a wild ride through ca/alk can't balance land. Here is what I have pics of though.

2115642675_17bc176cab_b.jpg

2115637941_5086e9daf5_b.jpg

Not the best pic and this piece is now about 3x as big.

1188590443_3478985b99_b.jpg

This one actually is in a friends tank

1429045295_9ca38efa87_o.jpg

2115637941_5086e9daf5_b.jpg

I like how it mixes in with the zoas. Nice macro shots, too. Wish mine were that nice.

Here's my two big colonies (1" frag plugs for scale):

orange-polyped. I think verrucosa?

HPIM3349.JPG

purple-base, orange centered polyps (approximately 10" by 10", 4" tall in the center)

HPIM3352.JPG

These had been sitting at an LFS in Kentucky for nearly a year. I watched them grow and encrust all over the bottom of the tank, pieces broken off for sale. I got a couple of small frags of them when I moved to MD. They were still there when I visited my parents for Christmas and, oddly, I kind of missed watching them (and the vermetid snails in each) grow. So I got them and I'll make frags as they grow out.

From my b/f's 100 gallon...this piece really isn't impressive in color, but it is close to a foot across.

What, very impressive color and size. Beautiful pc.

My Superman

PICT0085.jpg

Some type of green

PICT0088-1.jpg

orange

PICT0081.jpg

ThatsFishy69

do these grow on themselves? or only on what they touch, i have a frag on a tile and it covered to the end will it keep going or is that it till it touches something else.

do these grow on themselves? or only on what they touch, i have a frag on a tile and it covered to the end will it keep going or is that it till it touches something else.

They will keep growing. Some species are plating or branching, and they'll cover the frag, then start to make a plate outwards or branch up and out. Others are mainly encrusting, and will grow down the sides and essentially over itself and outwards until it reaches something else.

I was waiting for a monti thread...why doesn't all montis grow like a plate (ex: Audioadicts 2nd pic above)?

It's species and flow/light dependent. Some species just don't grow that way. Others do only when the conditions are right for it. Chalk it up to God or evolution or whatever you happen to believe in. ;)

Nice pics everyone - I especially like those combo plating types.

The "true" superman monti is an ecruster (although there is also a superman Montipora digitata as well).

Just as a side note for those interested in the naming/classification, superman monti is being called Montipora danae, but M. danae is primarily a plate/column forming species. So, superman monti is most likely NOT M. danae.

Archived