ReefCleaners.org

New tank maybe...lagoon Style

05XRunner

Local fish store. guys makes all kinds of acrylic tanks to whatever u want.

he made me a tank out of lexan for 80bucks..guess thats not to bad of a price. especially since I called him at 4 and picked it up at 8

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since you won't be viewing the sides of the tank, what about a 10" trough around the outside instead of the shelf.

oh, you're covering up the sides? interesting...so viewing is only through the top?

yea viewing will only be from top down only. If you stick your head under the stand u can view in the sides. I am most likely going to put some blue/green paper on all the sides to try and give my water that bluish green look of real lagoons as well. the stand will be 30" tall and thats where the top of the tank will be. So i can grab a chair sit at my tank and look in it :)

I am already seeing it in my head and it looks great. I like the idea of the green paper to color the water. What are you going to do for lighting?

I was thinking of a Viper 150w. i dont really want to hang a pendant and the viper is small and wont get in the way of me looking in my tank.

figure 150w MH is plenty since I wont really have much light intense corals. Also the fact that the tank is 9" deep only as well

I wonder what light coming in from the sides would look like? 017.gifWhat I mean is mounting the lights like some PC's or T-5's just under the shelf facing the inside of the tank shining through the glass. Then the top would be fully open.

that wouldnt work to well. I am going to have all my live rock mostly towards the walls and have kinda an open sand bed in the center with maybe a small piece of LR here and there.

well I just ordered the 2 Hydo Koralia Nano's and bought the wood today for the stand.

to bad its like 12outside and I am not gonna freeze my ass off going in and out cutting the wood. so i am going to start the stand tomorrow.

wow. sounds really cool, it's going to be fun watching it grow!

you'd better make sure to have a calm surface if you expect to view it very well... but very cool and creative.

so all of your filtration will be hidden under the plant shelves then?

all I am going to have is 2 hydor nanos, they will be hidden in the rock work. and then a canister filter with a spray bar. yea the surface should be pretty calm since I will have the hydors low in the tank and they are not insane GPH only 240 each. Really shouldnt see any of the hardware in the tank.

You have to do daily updates, of all of your ideas and progress, I am super excited to see this one. After reading through this I got ideas to make a bog system, with venus fly traps and pitcher plants, or off of your idea and have the wet beach. It would be like a vivarium, or aquatarium, kind of a combination with a plant system then slowly into a shallow reef lagoon. Ahh... K, gonna go start planning now.

Anyways, I like it.

well I know this isnt the real deal...I kinda just made this real fast to give an idea of what i am trying to accomplish with the look of it. I didnt go into any real detail. Just a quick render

Untitled-1.jpg

lagoon7.jpg

lagoon6.jpg

lagoon5.jpg

lagoon4.jpg

lagoon3.jpg

nanoreefnate

wow!! beautiful image!!!....lol...id like to take a vacation there too... :P ...hope everything goes well for you 05X!

well here is the stand so far.

I still gotta do some things. I am going to go get some metal L brackets to replace teh small pieces of 2x4 I have there right now.

Take in mind this is only the frame. Once I skin it with some nicer looking paneling it wont be ugly anymore. I also gotta get a square of Styrofoam to put under the tank to distribute the weight evenly.

I am no master carpenter but it gets the job done as a frame

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

well I hope it turns out nice..the frame isnt as nice as I was hopeing..BUT I guess it doesnt matter cause you wont see it anyway

what do u mean the slope of the sand. If you are talking about the pick i posted way up about a beach comming out of the water...that was just an idea I had a while ago. I am not doing that. This tank is going to have a 8" border around it and there is going to be sand and trees on it and the tank will be the lagoon.

noobwithatank
what do u mean the slope of the sand. If you are talking about the pick i posted way up about a beach comming out of the water...that was just an idea I had a while ago. I am not doing that. This tank is going to have a 8" border around it and there is going to be sand and trees on it and the tank will be the lagoon.

ah sorry i misread.

from what i thought was... there was going to be sand coming in at all 4 sides like angled down.. like it was a beach. hah.

well it will look that way from the planks I am adding all around it. The sand will look like it goes into the water. but its not really going in.

Archived