ReefCleaners.org

A really interesting and fantastic thread on skimming and skimmate

MyCatsDrool

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is kind of my point. There doesn't seem to be much in the Zeovit system that can't be achieved without it.

If we look at each of the individual pieces, they're all widely known and discussed things. The bacteria dosing and growth can be achieved through vodka/sugar.

The thing that I don't like about the system is that they make it seem so proprietary (don't use anyone's zeolites but ours!) and then slap a huge price tag on it.

You can make an argument that they're selling their expertise, but there are a lot of experts who post pretty good information on the internet for free.

Not to defend Captive Ocean's price point, but it's more complicated than you realize.

You're also paying for a live, pure culture of a specific strain of denitrifying bacteria which does not require a strict anaerobic environment to function. My guess is Pseudomonas stutzeri. In this case they are selling expertise, but of scientific knowledge not obtainable by a google search.

WTF is Borneman trying to do with this experiment? Protein skimmers were a huge advancement in the hobby when they were introduced. But no, we must've been better off before them when we couldn't even attempt to keep SPS corals, lets test some of the skimmate to see whether or not they're actually beneficial.

Good lord, could he be more of an idiot?

Edit: The fact that he couldn't even come to a conclusion on such a simple, obvious question really speaks volumes about his scientific ability.

I don't remember and I won't go back and read it again but the title of the thread was "Preliminary look at skimmate". Was his objective to discount or uphold the use of skimmers, or is he just trying to see what the heck we are skimming out? I am with the person earlier that said they did not care if some beneficial stuff got removed because you can see the sludge being removed and that has to be a plus.

Archived