Coral Vue Hydros

Natchaya's - 28g Reef tank

gimme09

Thank you both very much for the compliment.

Me Like! The cave is a little dark inside and takes up some real estate. Are you planning your stocking around that?

I was actually going for some flat surfaces so I can put some of the corals on top. I actually dont know if creating a cave is a good thing or bad for corals/ fish? Are there corals that prefer dark versus brighter areas?

very nice with the live rock work. Also, i agree about the detiritus from the rocks, i personally would only put macroalgae with a light so that you wont have any algae problems in the main tank.

Im in debate regarding leaving the filter media container in the center chamber or place chaeto in the center chamber with a light. I just read a post and thinking about adopting that idea... leave the media filter container but put Chemi-pure elite in place of the carbon (middle storage of container) and putting Purigen media in place of the ceramic rings (bottom storage of container) with putting either filter floss in place of the sponge (top storage of container) or the chaeto with light.

Day 11 Update...

Im getting some signs of diatom bloom and waiting for my refractometer and test kits from DrsFostersmith site. I find that if I leave my lights on, the temp gets to 81.8 degrees. Its time to probably get a chiller going.

From my 5 in 1 test strips (I dont want to believe in the accuracy of these dip strips)

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrates 20 ppm

Nitrites 0 ppm

Alkalinity 300 ppm

ph 7.8

Probably another week I can start adding my CUC.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12

Just purchased the JBJ NANO Arctica chiller and 2 Rio 6hf pumps.

I was reading and took a recommendation that if I replace the stock pumps (2) Accelera Powerheads 266gph @ 16 watts and replace them with (2) Rio 6hf 350gph @ 15 watts... this would be a good thing for flow. Is this true?

Also, I wanted to ask the professionals here if my theory regarding the chiller is correct... By purchasing the Nano chiller (rated for 25gallons) versus purchasing the 'Mini' chiller (rated for 40 gallons) is ok for use since the 25g rating is based on net water not based upon the tank size? For example, since the tank is 28g and I have approximately 25lbs of LR in there... wouldnt that make the net water around 20 to 25 gallons of SW? So, the nano chiller is appropriate for this amount of water?

My theory is that if I replace the two stock Accelera pumps that come with NC28g and replace them with the Rio Hf6. Then use one of the stock pumps to power the Nano chiller. This should work???

My theory is that if I replace the two stock Accelera pumps that come with NC28g and replace them with the Rio Hf6. Then use one of the stock pumps to power the Nano chiller. This should work???

Yeah that will work. You could use one HF pump through the chiller and then through the false wall. That's what I did though. You'll have more head loss with my approach.

It might get noisy and cramped though and those 6HFs only fit one way all the way down the pipe from my exp. Let us know how it works out.

-Seed

I will admit that the noise level has certainly increased. With replacing the 2 Rio HF6 pumps with the stock pumps. Im hoping Ill get used to it at least it will quiet down after a bit of use but it is a bit distracting.

Seed...

Did you try or do you have a similar setup regarding replacing the stock pumps? I find that the pumps do not like the wave timer because I notice that once one pump turns off and the other pump turns on... there is a thumping sound when the on pump starts. Does that happen to you?

Did you try or do you have a similar setup regarding replacing the stock pumps?

I haven't tried any other pumps yet. I might, might, try some MJ1200. They only put out 290 I think vs. stock 260 so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

I find that the pumps do not like the wave timer because I notice that once one pump turns off and the other pump turns on... there is a thumping sound when the on pump starts. Does that happen to you?

That didn't happen to me but my guess is that when one pump fires up there is a kick back that might cause the pump to hit something. Try moving the pump around a little bit if ya can and seat it better?

-Seed

I truly think if there is a way to get shorter suction cups on the Rio HF6... then it would be a lot better. Those suction cups are "tall." Almost 1 inch high and I think if there was a way to get some shorter ones on there... it wouldnt make the 'kick' starting sound. But, again they are definitely louder than the Accelera pumps. Im just debating if the extra 90 gph output is worth it.

Question for the masses:

In the back of my tank (where all the equipment is at) there is a lot of "white" stuff on the floor of the chambers. What is that? Is there a way to clean it off or is that just the norm?

I don't know exactly how the JBJs are set up. If you don't need the pump to be hanging on the wall just drop it in with out the cups installed. I would also recommend ditching the sponge filter that is inside the pump. It will clog fast and reduce flow big time. Just get some filter floss to filter the water.

post-33059-1199751128_thumb.jpg

The image is a bit blurry due to making it bigger but let me do my best to explain.

1 - Media Filter container (sponge)

2 - Media Filter container (carbon)

3 - Media Filter container (ceramic rings)

4 - Replaced stock pump (Accelera 266gph@16watts with Rio 6hf 350gph@15watts)

5 - same as #4 and both of them is noisy compared to the stock pumps

6 - Stock skimmer

7 - 100w stealth Heater

8 - White stuff on bottom (I guess it could be just the calcium or salt or something)

9 - White stuff on bottom

On top or in the same containers as the pumps (#4 and #5) there are sponges there. They dont cover the whole compartment but were set against the inside wall on both sides. You are recommending to put filter floss in there instead?

I wanted to ask everyones opinion about dsb (deep sand beds)... Currently the sand bed I have is about 1.5 inches with the LR squished down to the bottom of the tank. I was reading on RC that a popular opinion is to have a deeper sandbed 3-4 inches and let the nassarius snails do the sand sifting and cleaning. What do you guys think?

I wanted to ask everyones opinion about dsb (deep sand beds)... Currently the sand bed I have is about 1.5 inches with the LR squished down to the bottom of the tank. I was reading on RC that a popular opinion is to have a deeper sandbed 3-4 inches and let the nassarius snails do the sand sifting and cleaning. What do you guys think?

Its not recommended for nano reefs.From what ive seen and read dsb have to be 6-8 inches deep to be truly effective. In addition if they are ever stirred they can crash your tank.just my 2 cents

Day 15

Last night I finally received my refractometer and the API Master SW test kit. Of course, I had to perform the tests and I am seeing these results:

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

SG - 1.028

PPT - 38

and I made another noob mistake by leaving my RO/DI water dripping in a 5 gallon jug but it eventually overflowed and made a mess in the kitchen. Last time I dont pay attention to that... LOL

Two questions:

Is there a quick and easy way to get the Salt Water to get a SG - 1.028 to 1.025 and then the PPT should be 33? Secondly, Im doing my research on cleanup crews and I found a website called www.reefscavengers.com and found this package:

10 Juvenile Nerite Snails

10 Nassarius Snails

5 Juvenile Stocky Snails

5 Dwarf White Leg Hermits

5 Blue Leg Hermits

1 Juvenile Porcelain Crab

1 Juvenile Pencil Urchin

1 Juvenile Green Emerald Crab

1 Juvenile Lettuce Nudibranch

too many?

Is there something I should add or take away? Or what is the opinion of picking up a package from a website versus picking them up individually?

Still need to ask regarding the CUC question above...

Day 16

What is the best way to raise PH from 8.0 to 8.4 without using chemicals? 8.4 is the better ph for reef correct?

I got the SG to 1.026. Almost there to complete stability...

Day 20

Parameters are:

PH 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 5

SG - 1.026

There have been no major diatom/ algae blooms but I do see some discoloration of LR and "hair" growing from the rock. I think its time for one 10% water change and its definitely time that I finally install the chiller. Tomorrow I will take pictures of the new inhabitants.

Well, I finally installed the chiller and I must say it is working like a charm. The temps were about 82.8 degrees with the MH light on and once I put the chiller online... it brought it down to 79 in less than 45 minutes. (At least, that is when I checked.) Well, i will admit that the chiller is a good investment to maintain temps.

Day 21

I purchased my CuC today.

1 - Cleaner shrimp

10 - Nassarius snails

2 - Astrea snails

2 - Nerite snails

1 - Turbo snail

3 - Scarlet hermits

5 - hermit (forgot the name)

and they threw in 2 chromis. (I know I wasnt supposed to add any fish but heck... it was free.)

I was so excited about the CuC that I forgot to put the CF card in the camera. I took like 20 some pictures and no CF card :angry::huh: . I will get pictures later for everyone to see tomorrow.

Day 22

Some pictures of my new CuC:

Cleaner shrimp (Skunk variety)

post-33059-1200518430_thumb.jpg

Astrea Snail

post-33059-1200518422_thumb.jpg

Do all Astrea Snails have the same type of shell? Just curious...

Hermit (I dont remember the name the LFS told me. Can someone help me ID these guys?

post-33059-1200518548_thumb.jpg

Scarlet Hermit

post-33059-1200518553_thumb.jpg

Not included via pictures are 1-Turbo Snail, 10-Nassarius Snails and 2-Green Chromis.

Need to ask a question due to my CUC. This morning I thought I lost my cleaner shrimp when I saw half of his body on one side of the tank and the other half on the other side. It turned out that the shrimp just molted. Im under the impression that the snails or hermits will eat the molted shell? Which leads me to my main question regrading the CUC... for the tank that I have and about 25lbs of LR... what should be the size of a CUC?

1 turbo snail (Its very big and I dont think I need anymore)

10 nassarius snails (the zombie snails should be enough?)

2 astrea snails (Do I need more?)

2 nerite snails (Do I need more?)

8 hermits 5-cortez and 3-scarlet (That should be good, right?)

Day 28

Parameters:

pH - 8.2 (Its always difficult to figure out the exact pH on the API test drops. The card makes 8.0 and 8.2 look so very similar but I assume its 8.2 bc it has a tinge of the color 8.4.

ammonia - 0 ppm

nitrite - 0 ppm

nitrate - 5 ppm (never been able to get it to 0)

Phosphate - 0

Calcium - 400 (do I need higher)

KH - 9dKH (do I need higher?)

Temp - 79.3 (love that chiller)

Salinity - 1.023 (curious about what is the best SG to stay at?)

I finally broke down and bought some coral and a pair of maroon clown fish. (Maroon is the one with darkish orange, 3 yellow-like stripes, with the stripes outline in black? 5 types of corals.. well identify soon via picture.

Is there anything regarding the parameters that I should adjust to?

Nothing of pressure on the parameters. Over time get the calcium up to the 420-450 range and the Sg to the 1.024-1.025 range. Pretty fish, look like this?

Premnas%20biaculeatusPR.jpg

Yes exactly like those. As long as that is not an optical illusion and an actual female/ male pair... that is pretty much spot on to what they look like.

To bring up calcium and salinity... Reef Crystals is pretty much the way to go?

More pictures of the newly added stuff:Maroon Clowns (hopefully mated) with a hammer coral

post-33059-1201131163_thumb.jpg

At what point do you actually know that two clowns are actually "mated"? Is it just due to the fact that one is larger (female) and the other is smaller (male) and they dont tear each other apart? Just like marriage, even in the life of an aquaria... why is it that the females have to be big while the males still stay skinny... LOL

This is the survivor of his brother that went MIA.

post-33059-1201131197_thumb.jpg

The pair

post-33059-1201131625_thumb.jpg

Male side of the pair

post-33059-1201131640_thumb.jpg

Coral#1 (need to id)

post-33059-1201131697_thumb.jpg

Coral #2 attempting to ID

post-33059-1201131744_thumb.jpg

Skunk cleaner shrimp

post-33059-1201131756_thumb.jpg

Full Tank shot

post-33059-1201131815_thumb.jpg

Today is a sad day :tears: . I come home from work to find the smaller clownfish get grabbed by the cleaner shrimp. So, Im like WTF but then I noticed that the clownfish is not moving at all so I assume it is dead. My question is, do I remove the fish now or do I let the shrimp and snails eat it?

FyrFighter2004
Today is a sad day :tears: . I come home from work to find the smaller clownfish get grabbed by the cleaner shrimp. So, Im like WTF but then I noticed that the clownfish is not moving at all so I assume it is dead. My question is, do I remove the fish now or do I let the shrimp and snails eat it?

Sorry to hear that, Id say remove it.

Oh BTW i believe coral 2 is frogspawn.

Lulu (the small clownfish) is now adding nutrients to our flower garden in lieu of my wifes beliefs of life is a cycle. Goodbye Lulu!

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 39

Parameters:

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5 to 10

Phosphate - 0

KH - 9

Calcium - 500 (Im concerned about this.)

Hopefully, Ill get help on some of these questions...

1. 500 Calcium? I realize that is considered to high to what everyone states as the 400-450 range but is it a really bad thing? Is there a way to lower it? Ive been changing my 10% water changes weekly and using Reef Crystals.

2. I purchased a Firefish and its been about a week now and he is just so hella shy that I rarely see him outside of his hiding spot. Is this normal?

3. Yellow Watchman Goby... same timing as the firefish... about a week now and all he does is just chill in the sand but every once in awhile he swims around. My main concern is about his eating... Ive tried mysis shrimp and flake foods and he barely eats anything. Do they normally eat pellets or something else? I never see him go up to the surface to pick of the flakes so Im thinking should I get sinkable food?

4. Feeding corals. I have been using the cyclopeeze stuff but is this enough? Am I supposed to leave the pumps on or put the pumps off when I feed the cyclopeeze? Or is it better to just spot feed with turkey baster thing?

Archived