Top Shelf Aquatics

Natchaya's - 28g Reef tank

gimme09

Just wanted to start off by giving everyone a Happy Holidays!

Ive been skimming the forums in the last past few days looking at every thread possible so I can start off on the right foot. I technically have not bought the tank yet but today is the day. Ive pulled the money from the atm for the past 3 days and I have $1100 to start my new tank. I would love as much help as I can get from all of you and any criticisms/ comments I can get so I can at least do the right thing. The three things I have learned so far by going off the threads are:

1. PATIENCE

2. Cycle the tank using live rock.

3. Ask questions other than 'What do I do with the brown stuff?' :P

4. Patience!!!

Im currently at work waiting to go to the LFS (Pacific Reef - Fountain Valley,CA) so I can build a rapport with the LFS and get as much information from him other than these forums. This is what I have planned:

1. RO/DI system WaterGeneral RO6100+DI 2 OUTPUT REVERSE OSMOSIS RO + DI - 115 (ordered)

2. Nano Cube 28g HQI tank - 499 (I think it comes with the stand)

3. 20 lbs live rock - $? (I dont know if 20lbs is enough and Im unsure which type)

4. 20 lbs Live Sand - $? (Ive read somewhere that someone added 20 lbs of sand and it only gave them about 3/4 inch depth in a 20g tank. I probably would need more? Ive been reading that most prefer 1-2 inches of sand depth?)

5. Refractometer - $?

6. Saltwater test kits (I have ammonia and nitrate/nitrite test kits from my FW tanks but Im unsure if they are SW friendly. They are the 5-in-1 quick dip sticks)

7. ?? Is there anything else I need to only cycle the tank?

Later on during the cycling period... (meaning next paycheck)

8. Heater (Dont know which type to purchase yet)

9. Chiller (Probably the one that fits the JBJ stand)

After initial ammonia/ nitrite goes to 0...

10. CUC (Ive been following the list of what others are getting so Ill stick to those lists. I just dont know if cleaner shrimp is part of a CUC versus everyone else lists snails and hermit crabs.?)

After CUC and 2 weeks later with things still at 0...

11. Corals... (dont know yet but it should give me enough time to study about them)

Is there anything I am missing? Ill post pics once I get everything up and running. This will probably be my blog/ diary post for my tank also.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered the same tank. www.marinedeot is selling it for $499 with the free stand.

As for the test kits if they are o.k. for SW use it will say so on the box, if it doesn't mention SW then assume it doesn't work. API & Salifert are 2 popular brands.

welcome to nano reef!!! I looks like you've done your homework.

I like your tank choice. I kinda wish I had splurged for that one. I got the 24 JBJ with 72w pc for $250. the hqi wasn't out yet anyway.

Just wanted to pass along a great thread to read in case you haven't found it yet.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...lhealr&st=0

This is a great read for startup!

good luck with your setup keep us posted!

I do have a question, I have seen both types of 'rock stacking' from the rocks being stacked in the middle which leaves space in the back to create better flow versus stacking the rocks where the back is covered and there is more room in the front. Is one way recommended over the other?

I have the exact same setup (tank and RO and such) with actinic upgrade... Nice!

I got a 100W stealth heater. Works fine and tapped into the currentusa 1/15 chiller. I like this one cause it's got a digital read out. Got it for 250 shipped.

Look forward to seeing how your tank rolls along.

-Seed

Well, the tank is purchased and all setup for a whopping amount of approximately $850.

Tank with stand

Stealth Heater 100watt

15 lbs of Marshall Live rock (I thought the shapes look nicer than the others)

5 lbs of Fiji Live rock

20 lbs of Araglive Live sand

Digital Thermometer

25 gallons of LFS saltwater with the 5 gallon tubs to hold them.

I made the noob mistake of pouring the water on top of the sand without the bag and it made the water very cloudy so I just have a foggy aquarium at the moment. But, when it clears up... I plan to arrange my LR. I will have pictures soon of the setup and that will post shortly.

So far the tank looks great but I will say there can always be some improved modifications from the manufacture regarding the tank.

1. No light switch for the main HQI light. You either flip the switch on the remote ballast to turn it on or off.

2. No light switch for the LED night lights. You have to unplug or plug it in to turn it on or off.

3. The lighting cables for both the HQI light and the LED light comes out about 6 inches from back of the tank. Which makes viewing pleasing on the front and left sides only.

4. With the protein skimmer on... you are not able to open the hood.

I think those are my main gripes about a tank or reef system compared to others. I dont know if it is standard across the board with other tanks?

A few questions I have...

1. Should I remove the sponges from the 1 and 3 chambers during cycling? Ive read somewhere that it is recommended to remove the sponges for cycling or normal use.

2. Should I remove the activated carbon from the filter media during cycling?

3. What is a recommended lighting system that does an auto timer for a nano? Does the reefkeeper 2.0 work well or is it only for bigger tanks?

4. My lfs recommended (not a strong recommendation but more of a suggestion) to change the protien skimmer to one of the hang ons that fit in the back of the nano cube. Also, to get (I dont know what they are called) rotating sleeves for the outputs. Let me attempt to explain better since I dont know what it is called. It connects to the return nozzle in the tank and they rotate 360 degrees while 'putting' out water. Is that worth it?

Thank you all for your future and past help during my Reeftank endeavors.

Front View with stand

post-33059-1198862319_thumb.jpg

Logo View

post-33059-1198862459_thumb.jpg

Left side

post-33059-1198863655_thumb.jpg

As you see... everything is still very murky.

First welcome to nano-reef! I recently started a 24g NC 150w. must say I love it so far.. So good luck! The output thing is called a Hydor Flo. I bought one and then returned it the next day cause I was having problems with water spray when it points to the surface the outlet is to close to surface IMO. But with a hood yours might be fine... Well I hope that helped you out and have fun!

Here's my thread if you want to check it out... I'm adding a few more corals later today so I'll have more pics soon.

JBJ 24g w/ 150W Viper

pprwings...

Thank you for the answer.

Day 2

Well, I went to the LFS again to pick up some extra LR. Now I have a mix of Fiji, tonga branches, and marshall rock. In total I have about 35lbs of LR in a 28 gallon tank. Which leads me to ask... is there such a thing as too much rock?

Ive also noticed that marshall on tonga rock dont really have much of a flat surface for future coral placement so i will see what I can do to flatten some areas out.

I will be soon posting pics so I can get a critique on my aquascaping...

Sounds like you're on the right track.

The only other thing I would suggest is that you munch a few cookies while working on your tank, you'll be a happier reefer.

Cookie-Tray-1.jpg

Here is a right side of pic and what I dislike about the wiring...

post-33059-1198864238_thumb.jpg

And the back compartment showing chambers 1 through 3 starting from the left.

Chamber 1 has the protien skimmer (I left the top off the skimmer)

Chamber 2 has the filter media

Chamber 3 has the 100w stealth heater

post-33059-1198864320_thumb.jpg

Weetabix...

Thank you for the offer but I prefer Oatmeal raisin with walnuts or white macadamia cookies. ;P

Here is my poor attempt of aquascaping. I was going for a horseshoe like structure with archways in the front and back.

Day 3 pictures

Front elevated view of reef

post-33059-1198864635_thumb.jpg

Left side view

post-33059-1198864702_thumb.jpg

Front view reef

post-33059-1198864829_thumb.jpg

Right view of reef

post-33059-1198864856_thumb.jpg

Good deal. Now is the time to sit back and let it cycle. Learn how to use your test kits. Read about the livestock you might want to keep. Eat some of them cookies. Did I mention sit back and let it cycle?

Yes... since Im technically broke at this time... I cant do anything anyways other than letting it cycle. Or at least find another way to aqauscape the rock.

Questions:

1. Is there such a thing as too much rock?

2. The 'cave' I created... is it beneficial or should I make smaller caves instead of one larger one?

3. Refractometer versus hydrometer? Is the extra expense of a refractometer worth it?

Yes... since Im technically broke at this time... I cant do anything anyways other than letting it cycle. Or at least find another way to aqauscape the rock.

Questions:

1. Is there such a thing as too much rock?Tis in the eye of the beholder.

2. The 'cave' I created... is it beneficial or should I make smaller caves instead of one larger one?I like it but again see answer to #1.

3. Refractometer versus hydrometer? Is the extra expense of a refractometer worth it?IMO yes, much easier to read and calibrate.

Thanks for this thread! I'm thinking of buying the same tank and it's nice to follow your progress.

I was wondering about temperature issues with the HQI lighting. I'm assuming you still aren't running a chiller. What is the average temperature of the tank?

Everything looks great. Good luck, and please keep posting.

Questions:

1. Is there such a thing as too much rock?

2. The 'cave' I created... is it beneficial or should I make smaller caves instead of one larger one?

3. Refractometer versus hydrometer? Is the extra expense of a refractometer worth it?

The only down side to a lot of rock at the start is that most corals come on rock already and you will probably wind up taking some out to make room.

I like the cave - I have one in my tank - however when I move my set up to a larger tank I'll probably go without the cave. My fish seem to like it but I don't have as much room for coral. You could get a sun coral eventually but lately I find myself wishing I have more room.

Hydrometers are Ok as long as you maintain them - keep them clean and be sure to knock off all the bubbles every time you take a reading. If you go that route I would suggest taking it to your LFS and testing it against a refractomometer so you know if yours reads high, low or right on. Personally, I think the refractomometer was the best thing I've purchased. IMO - It's not a MUST but deffinately worth it.

Thanks for this thread! I'm thinking of buying the same tank and it's nice to follow your progress.

I was wondering about temperature issues with the HQI lighting. I'm assuming you still aren't running a chiller. What is the average temperature of the tank?

Everything looks great. Good luck, and please keep posting.

During the cycling process, I only put the lights on for a limited amount of time. I know I dont have any hitchhikers so Im just waiting for the cycle to complete. Without the 150MH light... i see the temp ranging from 76.2(morning- when I wake up at 5am) to 78.7 (when I get home from work 6pm). With lights on.. its highest was 80.1 while I left for work in the morning and came back home from work. But, then again it is winter and been pretty cold (for SoCal) lately. Overall, I am planning to get a chiller.

Day 8

I added my ticker thingy...

Im dieing to see something moving in my tank. But Im waiting on my test kit to arrive and then I can give readings on the thread and then hopefully start stocking. Im at the point where I think that I have too much rock in there and Im thinking of living by the addage of less is more.

Q - If I take out LR... is there a way to keep it 'Live' or do I just put it in a bag with some SW?

Q2 - For the inside glass cleaning, do I just wipe it down with towels or is there a product that is better fitted for it.

Q3 - This is going to be a noob question but what does "FTS" stand for? I realize it means a photo of some sort but I dont get the translation...

Day 8

I added my ticker thingy...

Im dieing to see something moving in my tank. But Im waiting on my test kit to arrive and then I can give readings on the thread and then hopefully start stocking. Im at the point where I think that I have too much rock in there and Im thinking of living by the addage of less is more.

Q - If I take out LR... is there a way to keep it 'Live' or do I just put it in a bag with some SW? Needs to be kept heated and with flow from like a power head.

Q2 - For the inside glass cleaning, do I just wipe it down with towels or is there a product that is better fitted for it.Get a product called a MagFloat.

Q3 - This is going to be a noob question but what does "FTS" stand for? I realize it means a photo of some sort but I dont get the translation...Full Tank Shot, and hurry up and get one done so we can see! ;)

Here is my re-auquascape for the 5th time. My husband was doing the aquascaping before but now its my turn... what do you think compared from the less look versus packed look? Sorry I took the pictures 10 minutes after I re-arranged the rocks.

Front view

post-33059-1199427124_thumb.jpg

Left view

post-33059-1199427146_thumb.jpg

Right view

post-33059-1199427166_thumb.jpg

Will take some closer and clearer pictures tomorrow. I plan on taking out the media in the center chamber and crushing some LR back there to create a psuedo refugium. Thing is... due to the design... if I use crushed rock... wont it start overflowing? Im thinking that I should use LR that is long and thin so I can let it stand in the center chamber and then put some chaeto in it with a light. What do you think?

From reading what others have done I am not a big fan of rock in the back chambers. I have a bare bottom tank and have to siphon off a small amount of detritus each week that is "shedding" from the rocks. I can just imagine what the accumulation of this would be in the back chamber over time. That said, if you still are going to do it get the largest most porous pcs. of rock you can back there.

JMO as I have not done this so I only speak from what I have read.

From reading what others have done I am not a big fan of rock in the back chambers. I have a bare bottom tank and have to siphon off a small amount of detritus each week that is "shedding" from the rocks. I can just imagine what the accumulation of this would be in the back chamber over time. That said, if you still are going to do it get the largest most porous pcs. of rock you can back there.

JMO as I have not done this so I only speak from what I have read.

Thank you... I was questioning the same thing because there are so much 'skin' (what I call it coming from the rock) in the tank and I was thinking wouldnt that happen in the fuge area?

Well, here are some new pics I took this morning. The water cleared up.

Front view

post-33059-1199473716_thumb.jpg

Left view

post-33059-1199473722_thumb.jpg

Right view

post-33059-1199473727_thumb.jpg

very nice with the live rock work. Also, i agree about the detiritus from the rocks, i personally would only put macroalgae with a light so that you wont have any algae problems in the main tank.

Archived