Top Shelf Aquatics

HID Reef: 4G 35W 10,000K MH Crocea Pico

ma_sha1

Thanks!

Somewhere I heard that there's 35W AC ballasts out there, but I haven't been able to find them. I guess you haven't either. Hmm, I may be able to score a power supply somewhere besides eBay. In contrast to some's thoughts, I don't think that eBay is such a great deal, or maybe I'm just not quick enough!

Thanks again, I'll be posting my attempts on my pico thread, which poor thing has already seem some lighting experimentation!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks!

Somewhere I heard that there's 35W AC ballasts out there, but I haven't been able to find them. I guess you haven't either. Hmm, I may be able to score a power supply somewhere besides eBay. In contrast to some's thoughts, I don't think that eBay is such a great deal, or maybe I'm just not quick enough!

Thanks again, I'll be posting my attempts on my pico thread, which poor thing has already seem some lighting experimentation!

Unfortunately, there is NOT any AC ballast for 35W HID. Another reefer tried 39W MH AC ballast, it didn't work. Automotive HID ignition is ~20KV, the MH ballast is 4KV. That's why MH ballast can not fire up automotive HID.

Don't waste your money on the MH ballasts they don't work with the HID. Go out and pick up a big 12v power supply like ma_sha1 suggests.

gregbot9000

hi all/ma_shal,

i jut found this thread, found it pretty interesting and wanted to try it out but had some questions

what exactly does a computer power supply need to power up the bulb? i have one of these on my comp.corsair 750w

is it risky trying to do this off a comp?

also, do think mounting the bulb in a vertical/spotlight way would be more effective?

thx, greg

Hey 13.2 down the 1/4 is damn fast. your beating vets with that time

i do like m3's alot too. id prolly get the g35 instead tho. i LOVE the exhaust sound.

before my firned moved he had a 350z, i forgot what exhaust he got but i swore it sounded just like a ferrari.

how does your car sound?

hi all/ma_shal,

i jut found this thread, found it pretty interesting and wanted to try it out but had some questions

what exactly does a computer power supply need to power up the bulb? i have one of these on my comp.corsair 750w

is it risky trying to do this off a comp?

also, do think mounting the bulb in a vertical/spotlight way would be more effective?

thx, greg

Greg,

It's very risky if you need the computer. If you have a spare power supply out of the computer, you need to study the "rails", each rail is a 12V source. Although, your total power supply is 750W, it doesn't mean each rail has enough power & give 25A current. You need to find a rail that it's rated by 12V, >25A by itself, then that rail should work. Not every computer powers supply has individual rail rated 25A.

It is possible to merge several low amp rails to make it handle more amps, however, I don't suggest you try that simply because you had to ask the question. That's for expert only & I didn't even want to mess with that myself. The HID fired up drawing 22A of current, it can easily fry up a rail that's not supplying enough current & therefore break your power supply.

Sum it up: It's not how much total power the computer power supply is rated for, It's how much current

a single 12V source can provide (need >25A) in the computer power supply.

Hey 13.2 down the 1/4 is damn fast. your beating vets with that time

i do like m3's alot too. id prolly get the g35 instead tho. i LOVE the exhaust sound.

before my firned moved he had a 350z, i forgot what exhaust he got but i swore it sounded just like a Ferrari.

how does your car sound?

Thanks buddy,

Yes, I can probably beat a 04 regular Corvette, the 400hp version. My launch is much faster & consistent thanks to the AWD (My best 0-60 is 4.4). The newer version of Vette is getting faster thou. My exhaust was Stillen true dual stainless steel, Sounds awesome but very loud, people at my work were complaining about it. So I tuned it down a bit with a pair of cc insert. You can check the link for my Exhaust here if you have not found it already. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/807724/4

It does sound like a Ferrari a bit. I am glad I have the Super Charger to back it up, nothing more embarrassing than being loud & slow, ha-ha :lol: . The G35 & 350Z stock are running in Mid 14s typically, my car stock was 14.8, you can imagine that I was very happy with my 13.2 slip, although I wish I could push a few more hp to get into the 12s. But it's almost impossible to tune the AWD, no body has an AWD Dyno around here. Guess I'll just have to live with my 13.2. Besides, there's many supercharged G35 but few with AWD & I am being the only HKS Rotrex supercharged AWD G35 so far, so I should be happy about it.

Thanks for the info ma_shal. That's the beauty of forums, being able to tell what doesn't work as well as what does.

[quote name='yardboy',

I don't think that eBay is such a great deal, or maybe I'm just not quick enough!

Yardboy, I am guessing that you may have been sniped?

Give justsnipe.com a try, it's free for 5 snipes per month. I've sniped so many ebay wins, it's not even funny.

Those newbie bidders stay up late & watch the auction to end only to lose to a last second bid didn't even know what hit them, I am winning my auction left & right, while sound a sleep. B)

A month after tank in my office. Clam is doing great with obvious growth.

The black & white Nemo have become a mated pair,

i.e. formed inter ratial couple. Their names are Obama & Hilary.

Sorry, tank glass kind dirty & I only had a low resolution camera in my office.

obamahilaryre4.jpg

The black & white Nemo have become a mated pair,

i.e. formed inter ratial couple. Their names are Obama & Hilary.

:lol: Priceless

• 3 weeks later...

Page 6 spec readouts.

I am familiar with the hardware and software the guy used to produce those spectrographs and I can tell you they aren't all that reliable with respect to peak position. Relative intensity, yes.

The peaks are cut off because he saturated the detector. He did that b/c he doesn't know how to properly use the USB2000 or SpectraSuite (the software).

Archived