Pod Your Reef

HID Reef: 4G 35W 10,000K MH Crocea Pico

ma_sha1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really enjoy seeing DIY projects like this. Keep posting pics, you've got my attention.

I'll post more pic. after adding my clam. I am having hard time finding maxima clams,

even clamdirect.com don't have maxima. Other places had only golden maixima,

don't know what's going on

I need a blue maxima on line, super color, not cultured (they usually don't look as good).

anyone know a good pace that have them in stock?

Damn! Couldn't do it! I was going to order a 70w MH retro for my BC8 but I just can't stop thinking about the HID's. It's all your fault ma_sha1! :P Well it looks like I'm going to attempt a dual 35w HID retrofit into my BC8. Look for my build thread after a couple of weeks once I get back from Jamaica and The Grand Caymans. I should have some pics of that to post also (trying to get my hands on an underwater camera).

Do it quick, Before I change my mind & add another HID bulb into my 4G fixture.

I have more then enough room in my 11" fixture to put another bulb in, but I'll have to

add another fan to the other end, also get new ballasts as only one of the two ballast is working right.

The dual HID will probably burn my mushrooms. B)

I think I am the first to show any pic. on retro of car HID into pico or nano reef, but you can still be the first to do the dual HID, if you act fast :D

Damn! Couldn't do it! I was going to order a 70w MH retro for my BC8 but I just can't stop thinking about the HID's. It's all your fault ma_sha1! :P Well it looks like I'm going to attempt a dual 35w HID retrofit into my BC8. Look for my build thread after a couple of weeks once I get back from Jamaica and The Grand Caymans. I should have some pics of that to post also (trying to get my hands on an underwater camera).

Where id you get it, how much? could you show a link? Need to know in case I order replacement items.

Got it ordered! Should be here next week. Damn Jamaica! Getting in the way of my build! :angry:

I ordered the bulbs on EBay from Sharperdeal 10000k 9006 HID bulb and wire harness only for $35.99 shipped and then I ordered 2 39w 110v ballasts from www.ballastwise.com for $49.98 shipped. So total shipped is 84.97. Not bad for a dual 35w HID lighting retro for my BC8. If it works. fingerscrossed

Good luck, if the ballast works, it'd be great news for pico reef in terms of low cost low watt MH lighting.

The way I did it, wasn't that cheap after considering the 26A power supply I had to get.

Please post pictures asap!

I ordered the bulbs on EBay from Sharperdeal 10000k 9006 HID bulb and wire harness only for $35.99 shipped and then I ordered 2 39w 110v ballasts from www.ballastwise.com for $49.98 shipped. So total shipped is 84.97. Not bad for a dual 35w HID lighting retro for my BC8. If it works. fingerscrossed

i must say though, that tank is way too small for a clown :(

do u have a place to move it when it gets biger

min tank size for a clown is 10 gl

I have the ballasts and I'm waiting for the bulbs to arive. Looks like I need to go to HomeDepot and get some electrical plugs to attach to the ballasts. If the bulbs can get here before Friday I'll try and hook them up for a test run. If not they will have to wait a week until I get back. Does anybody have any idea if there is a UV shield that is made for the BioCube 8? If there isn't I'll have to custom rig something. Anyway, sorry that I have hijacked this thread ma_sha1! I promise that I'll start my own as soon as I get the lighting to work and I will be giving all the props to you!

I was reading on the forums and it looks like single ended bulbs don't need uv shielding? The HID's are single ended. Does anybody know anything about this?

It was a durability test, Cliff tested out countless brands and versions of hid kits until he settled on his current product. I know, I have seen most of what he tested :) That is the reason I can only recommend his kits. Will keep watching this post. Good work!

Though more expensive of course, McCullugh I'd say is just as hammer proof as I found out from personal experience. Used the double sidded tape with my kit on my car with ballast hanging upside down. I was too lazy to bolt it in until my first drive after installing them, the ballast unstuck, dropped about a foot onto the ground and was DRAGGED for at least 200 yards before I realized what happened. Still have never had a single issue with the ballast to date from that mishap. These kits are about $245 on Ebay though unfortunately.

What you read on the Forum are Reef bulbs, single end MH bulbs has a thick tube surrounding the inner bulb, therefore don't need UV shield. The HID bulb, although a single end by design, looks more like the double end MH in construction. It does have a very thin outer tube, I am not sure it's enough to block all UVs. Given such close distance to corals in pico reef, I decided that it does need a UV shield.

All glass are UV shields, if your tank cover has a glass piece, you are all set. (Unless it breaks under high heat). If not, you need to find a piece of glass to fit into your cover, best if heat treated glass such as those used in Halagen work lights. My Jali light fixture come with only plastic cover, so I bought two Home Depot Halogen work lights & took the glass covers off & fitted into my fixture as UV shields.

Look at the photo on page one of this thread, you'll see the two piece of glasses side by side under my fixture.

I was reading on the forums and it looks like single ended bulbs don't need uv shielding? The HID's are single ended. Does anybody know anything about this?
What you read on the Forum are Reef bulbs, single end MH bulbs has a thick tube surrounding the inner bulb, therefore don't need UV shield. The HID bulb, although a single end by design, looks more like the double end MH in construction. It does have a very thin outer tube, I am not sure it's enough to block all UVs. Given such close distance to corals in pico reef, I decided that it does need a UV shield.

All glass are UV shields, if your tank cover has a glass piece, you are all set. (Unless it breaks under high heat). If not, you need to find a piece of glass to fit into your cover, best if heat treated glass such as those used in Halagen work lights. My Jali light fixture come with only plastic cover, so I bought two Home Depot Halogen work lights & took the glass covers off & fitted into my fixture as UV shields.

Look at the photo on page one of this thread, you'll see the two piece of glasses side by side under my fixture.

not all glass just shields against UV, last time i checked only plastic did that.

We are all being a bit too general, let me try to be more specific.

Glass:

General Glass (light bulbs, windows, picture frames, all are made similarly, melt & form), all shield UV.

Ultra flat Glass: For LCD TV & computer screen, made by a Fusion draw process, patented by Corning. Blocks UV as well.

Crystallized Glass, such las quartz glass, these are the only glass that allow UV to pass through.

They are very expensive, such as the tube used out side UV lamp for UV sterilizer. They are not your daily glass.

Plastics:

Acrylic: The most used aquarium plastic, allow UV to pass through. They do not block UV & is used in

life science research as disposable UV measurement tools.

Polystyrene: Most used material for injection molded clear plastics used in life science research (microplates etc), shield UV. However, as most aquarium use Acrylic type of plastics, they are not suitable for shielding UV.

Remember, the single end MH bulb has an outer tube made of general glass, to shield UV.

You can probably be able to find polystyrene plastic piece that could shield UV, but MH bulb will likely to melt it.

Hope this clarify it a bit.

not all glass just shields against UV, last time i checked only plastic did that.

Finally, the baby Maxima has arrived, along with the second & last fish for my 4G Pico, yellow watchmen goby.

sidebestal6.jpg

Top View; Sorry for my point & shoot camera, picture is a far cry from the beauty of this clam.

nanotopbestfd9.jpg

Here is my clam photo when I ordered it from clamsdirect.com, I like that they let you pick the exact clam to ship. You can see the color patterns are the same except that clamsdirect took a hell lot better pictures.

maximaclamsdirectxr3.jpg

Any progress on using a ballast from ballastwise.com to power the hid bulb??

I think he is on Vacation for a wk. but I just realized ballastwise.com is AC ballast, the HID bulbs are DC bulbs,

what's the chance this would work out? If it does work, It'll be perfect, I will make another 35W HID & put it next to my 70W HQI

as spot light over my clam in my 46Gal tank.

I emailed ballastwise and asked them if it would fire HID xenon. That was two weeks ago, guess they don't need more customers 'cuase I ain't heard back from them. Ballasts for flourescent lights and MH run on AC and convert to DC that is what these ballast should do. The real issue is if the initial pulse will fire the bulb and if it can maintain 3.5 amp 12v dc output. Please correct me if I'm wrong, we'll all learn a bit about the workings of bulbs, and ballasts. Thesidius is on vacation this week, diving in a really big fish tank, lucky!! It's -47 Celsius where I am. Wish I was on vacation too.

About 220 miles north of the Canada/US border in eastern Alberta. It's warmed this morning -34 C static -45 C with the windchill. Tropical lol. I Hate winter.

Archived