Coral Vue Hydros

HID Reef: 4G 35W 10,000K MH Crocea Pico

ma_sha1

$180 is a bit steep. My kit cost only $70, 2 bulbs & 2 ballasts.

The ballast came with my kit is also water proof, which I believe is a requirement for the automotive industry.

However, I don't see the value of hammer proof.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DESERTHEATRACING

It was a durability test, Cliff tested out countless brands and versions of hid kits until he settled on his current product. I know, I have seen most of what he tested :) That is the reason I can only recommend his kits. Will keep watching this post. Good work!

Thanks, Guys.

Here is a new photo, shows the just added bioload:

1 black Nemo

1 blood shrimp

Sand spot is reserved for a maxima clam that I am planning to get.

img0501dh9.jpg

Plan to add one small fish, yellow. Thinking about adding one yellow watchman goby as

I heard yellow clown goby is known to nip at clams.

If there's any suggestion on what small yellow fish may be suitable, let me know.

Do you think this would be possible to retrofit in a BioCube 8 gallon hood? Maybe two of them?

I think so. the light bulb hardly takes any room, it's 0.7"x3" in size.

However, if you plan to fit two, you may need two 26A power supply, then it'll be probably cheaper to retro fit a single 70W HQI instead.

The HQI bulb fit in cheap 250W halogen floodlight fixtures, so you can take out the bulb holder & retro into your hood. That would be a cheaper way to go.

Although, fit two HID bulb side by side would be cool, and it'll spread the light better than a single HQI spot.

Either way, the ballasts need to stay out side and you'll need probably two fans to cool the hood.

I think so. the light bulb hardly takes any room, it's 0.7"x3" in size.

However, if you plan to fit two, you may need two 26A power supply, then it'll be probably cheaper to retro fit a single 70W HQI instead.

The HQI bulb fit in cheap 250W halogen floodlight fixtures, so you can take out the bulb holder & retro into your hood. That would be a cheaper way to go.

Although, fit two HID bulb side by side would be cool, and it'll spread the light better than a single HQI spot.

Either way, the ballasts need to stay out side and you'll need probably two fans to cool the hood.

Cool! Thanks ma_sh1, I'm deffinetly going to check into this further.

Thats a real HID bulbs right? as in it has a ballast not just a 12v transformer.

not one of thos blue tinted bulbs? btw they arent design to run 8 hours a day since people dont really drive at night too long...

make sure its cooled by a fan to make it last a bit longer...

this is cool tho. props.

Yes, It's real HID. It has a ballast and it's run on a 12V 26A power supply also.

It is not tinted bulb, it's real 10,000K Metal Halide bulb.

It's on 8 hrs per day for about two weeks now, seems to be ok. If it

last 6 month, I'd be pretty happy, since this is kind of an expirement.

So far my soft corals are all much happier than when they were my 46 Gal big tank

(65W+18W PC +70W MH, About 3W/gal).

My 4 Gal nano is about 9W/Gal Metal halide, 3x brighter, even my mushrooms seems to love it.

lil'wrasse cool

also I think theamps you are talking about are dc...so if you converted to ac with a dc power pack I think you would only be at a 4 amp load...just think your stove on full blast with all the elements on would still be less then 40 amps...Just say a 1000 watt MH running off of 120v would be only be like 8 amps...I cant see a hid blowing a breaker, nor having a higher amp load...just as long as you have the ballest...

The Amp load is indeed DC. Ballast says 3.25 Amp normal running and 20 Max Amp at start.

4 Amp power should be able to run the bulb except for the start. I chose the 26 DC Amp power

supply just to be on the safe side. Maybe a 4 amp DC power supply is sufficient if it doesn't burn the wires at start ? I didn't dare to try that thou.

also I think theamps you are talking about are dc...so if you converted to ac with a dc power pack I think you would only be at a 4 amp load...just think your stove on full blast with all the elements on would still be less then 40 amps...Just say a 1000 watt MH running off of 120v would be only be like 8 amps...I cant see a hid blowing a breaker, nor having a higher amp load...just as long as you have the ballest...

The link is broken, I can't access the item.

I do think that if you get a 12v, 26A power supply & turn on one bulb at a time,

there'll be enough current to drive two bulbs together (7A running together), and Max current will be

23.5 Amp. Pretty smart idea.

However, Some Car HID ballasts has auto shut-off function when current or volt flutuate too much,

so turning the second bulb on may potentially trigger the first bulb to be shut off.

That's just my guess, also it may depend on the ballast you get. My ballast has the auto-shut-off but a different one may not? Something that you may have to try it out yourself.

ma_sha1,

would this power supply I found on Ebay be able to power two bulbs if I didn't turn them on at the same time? Fire one and then wait a sec and fire the other? If not could you possibly give me the stats of a power supply that could run two? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-Power-Supply-13-5v...1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you know how long the ballast spikes on startup? Depending on the power supply, it may even be able to handle the surge for a brief period. It all depends what the length of the spike is.

Jeez Evil I seem to follow you everywhere on this site lol.

If any MH ballast will fire these lamps ballastwise.com has 39 w MH 110v powered ballasts that I think should fire these bulbs for $19.99. A bulb, a little wire and a reflector and your in business el cheapo.

Sounds interesting. Does anybody know if that is possible to wire these bulbs to this kind of ballast? If this worked I think it would change nano lighting forever.

Jeez Evil I seem to follow you everywhere on this site lol.

If any MH ballast will fire these lamps ballastwise.com has 39 w MH 110v powered ballasts that I think should fire these bulbs for $19.99. A bulb, a little wire and a reflector and your in business el cheapo.

I think you have >70% chance that this idea may work. I have used cheap 70W MH flood light ballast

to fire up 70W single end Reef MH bulb, it worked just fine. Although the Reef type ballast are selling to 5x more money. Today, I just did another retro fit, used the same cheap single-end MH ballast & fired up 70W double end HQI 70W MH bulb, it runs just fine (For my 46 Gal tank) , although HQI suppose to use different ballast. I think there are lots of hypes in the MH light area for reef.

Someone try it out, too late for me, I already went for the expensive route of using 12V ballast + Power supply.

Sounds interesting. Does anybody know if that is possible to wire these bulbs to this kind of ballast? If this worked I think it would change nano lighting forever.

omfg your fire shrimp comes out??? mine hides 24/7...and maybe comes out 2 mins for feeding...

lol looks like your shrooms r taking over.

hows the coral taking the light?

Well after further thought I think I am going to go with a 70watt metal halide retro for my BC8. The HID's look nice and if they put out less heat then they could be a great lighting option but the more I look into it they become alot more expensive for the same end result. Good luck ma_sha1 with your tank!

how is the nano skimmer byrio working out for you? I just picked up the same one for my biocube for 30 bucks so i figured i would give it a shot.

My fire shirmp comes out when ever I feed the fish. The corals seems like the light a lot, I was afread the light is to mush for the shrooms, but so far so good.

omfg your fire shrimp comes out??? mine hides 24/7...and maybe comes out 2 mins for feeding...lol looks like your shrooms r taking over.hows the coral taking the light?
Good luck for the 70W. I just changed my 46G tank from a single end MH into HQI 70W & It seem to give a lot of heat, the HID 35W bulbs gives out a lot less heat some how.
Well after further thought I think I am going to go with a 70watt metal halide retro for my BC8. The HID's look nice and if they put out less heat then they could be a great lighting option but the more I look into it they become alot more expensive for the same end result. Good luck ma_sha1 with your tank!
The Rio nano skimmer works like a charm, I am very impressed.
how is the nano skimmer byrio working out for you? I just picked up the same one for my biocube for 30 bucks so i figured i would give it a shot.

Archived