SaltCritters.com

My LR Moves!

ccordero

Hi there people!.

I just got my LR yesterday and I placed it in my tank to start the cycle. Last night when contemplating the rock I noticed quick sudden movements from different parts of the rock. I got the chance to take some before/after pictures so you can see what I mean. Please help me ID what is moving in my rock.

Thanks

C.

BlackSumbel

It's probably some kind of Decorator (crab? Snail?). Decorators generally just pick up bits of shell, rock, etc. Stick them to their shell, and thus blend in. Looks like what you've got (if it's moving, that is).

-Sumbel.

powerofslack

Is this gulf view live rock? I had the same thing in one spot- it was a mussel anchored to the rock, opening away from the front of the tank so that all you could see is the heavily encrucsted back of the shell- it never leaves its spot on the lr like a crab would, just moves "further" or "closer" to the main body of the rock by about an inch or so when startled? Mine is in a nano on my desk and if I pound my fist on the desk lightly it will "duck down" and close up- I try to aim for it a little when I add phyto, and it has been doing fine for several months now; as the liverock has cycled and the cleaner crabs/snails have worked it over you can now see the little black stipe that's the back seam of its hinge facing me, and if I look with a mirror I can see it opening away from me. Bet that's what it is. Hope this helps!

Archived