can't go wrong w/ snails. :D

in my 29 gal I have

3 astraea

6 nassarius

5 ceriths

4 nerites

some stomella

a bunch of collonista

trying to get a chiton and some limpets now.

pinballwizrd315

I like my pistol shrimp and I have an emerald crab, pom pom crab, and a porcelain crab. Theres so many cool inverts you can get. I would look around and research once you have an idea.

is there any starfish i could get in there i know the water has to be pristine and everything and i wouldnt get it right away but i love the little guys:huh:and what about a crab carrying an anemone??????

Actually brittle stars and serpent stars tend to do well in nanos. I got some of the former as hitchhikers and highly recommend them. Avoid green brittle stars, though--known fish eaters.

I also second the recommendations for pom poms, emeralds (with caution), porcelain crabs, hermits (Paguristes or Clibanarius species) and, of course, snails.

--Diane

The problem with those hermits with anemones is that, though hardy, they are capable of crushing and tearing most other animals their size apart.

Sand sifters will probably starve to death (they are hyperefficient predators of microfauna), but, a predatory starfish could be kept when young as they can be hand-fed and therefore shouldn't starve.

The problem with those hermits with anemones is that, though hardy, they are capable of crushing and tearing most other animals their size apart.

oh man that sucks :o i relly like those

Sand sifters will probably starve to death (they are hyperefficient predators of microfauna), but, a predatory starfish could be kept when young as they can be hand-fed and therefore shouldn't starve.

like what kind of predatory starfish :huh:

Well, the thing is, each tank is different. Are you going to have to order online or will you be getting critters from lfs's? If the former, I realize that it only pays to order "in bulk"--but if you can p/u some items locally you can take your time and see what works best for you. That also allows you to watch the animal(s) for a while and see that they look healthy. It's also much easier to acclimate a few at a time, rather than a few dozen!

If you will be ordering, look for one of the vendors (several of whom are sponsors here) who specialize in selling species that do well in nanos. You will usually find that these companies are happy to correspond with you about your needs and the particularities of the animals they offer.

If you're including the standard CUC members in this question--in general, you will probably want to start with a few of the grazing snails--my favorites are Trochus, but a variety can be nice and Turbo, Astraea, Ceriths, and Nerites are all possibilities.

A Nassarius or two may be helpful--they'll certainly be interesting--but they are scavengers, not grazers, and will starve if you have too many and aren't feeding your tank...

Hermits have mixed reputations but I'm one of those who can't imagine a tank without them. But do stick to the genera I mentioned above, and if you can't determine scientific names, ask for Scarlets or Mexican red-legs...

The other inverts you may want may have to be ordered, unless you happen to find them at your lfs. Pom pom crabs are delightful, and nano-sized serpent or brittle stars are fascinating. The latter may multiply for you so you don't need to start with many...

And have you looked into shrimp? :)

If you have the time to browse through the threads here, you will get an idea of what species are popular and why...and I'm sure you'll develop strong ideas about what exactly appeals to you. Then, if you can develop more specific questions, you'll get more specific answers. :)

--Diane

Archived