Coral Vue Hydros

AquaPod 24 Gallon Pump Question

dismayed

I have had a 24 gallon AquaPod for some time now. I think the pump that came with the tank may slowly be failing, so I am thinking of buying a new pump. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pumps?

I've looked at a few small MaxiJets, but my main concern is that none of them seem to fit nicely behind the left compartment like the stock pump, and none come with the covering that goes up and attaches to the nozzle thingy. I'm assuming that I want to keep my pump back there to promote the same kind of water circulation I currently have?

So, any suggestions?

I have had a 24 gallon AquaPod for some time now. I think the pump that came with the tank may slowly be failing, so I am thinking of buying a new pump. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pumps?

I've looked at a few small MaxiJets, but my main concern is that none of them seem to fit nicely behind the left compartment like the stock pump, and none come with the covering that goes up and attaches to the nozzle thingy. I'm assuming that I want to keep my pump back there to promote the same kind of water circulation I currently have?

So, any suggestions?

I don't know what you mean by the "covering that goes up and attaches to the nozzle thingy", but I can tell you that there's tons of us who have replaced the stock pump with a Maxi-Jet and it works just fine. I have a MJ1200. I'd recommend using a MJ900 and adding a second MJ900 in the display or a Koralia 1.

Edited by Scott Riemer

Really? In a 24 gallon? I actually have a MJ900 but I pulled it out because the amount of sand and debris it kicks up into the water was astronomical. Have you not had the same problem? I couldn't imagine using something even more powerful like a 1200 in my small tank... there would be a tornado of sand in there. :) I'm guessing that a MJ600 would be closer to what the tank's stock pump generates?

The MJ900 won't fit behind the partition... did you just place it out in front of the partition?

By 'nozzle thingy' I mean at the back of the AquaPod there is a partition, and on the left side there is a small circular hole that this nozzle fitting that juts out into two directions attaches to. On the back side of it (behind the partition) a black rubber hose attaches to it and runs straight down to the bottom of the tank, where the stock pump sets. Part of my question was if there were any other pumps that will fit back there like this and if they come with the hosing (the hosing it comes with is permanently attached to the stock pump).

When I used the MJ900, I was also never confident that water was circulating around and back behind the partition where all my filters are. As best I could tell water was only moving inside the display portion of the tank. But maybe that's incorrect? Just wondering if you have noticed any of this.

Edited by dismayed

That hose does come off the stock pump and will fit right onto the Maxi-Jet. You may have to use the venturi adapter, but it fits. My MJ1200 sits in the chamber just fine. I don't understand why you say it doesn't fit?

Well, I was trying to put it in where the nozzle on the front of the MJ900 would go right out through the hole in the chamber and it wouldn't fit that way. If I set it at the bottom and run a hose up to the hole I bet it will fit. I'll have to see if I can get it off the stock pump, the last time I played with it I was thinking it was permanently attached. I'll give that a shot.

Does your 900 kick up a lot of sand in your tank?

It sounds like you are missing the tubing that allows your pump to sit lower in the back chaimber.

The maxijet 900 is your best bet as you get the most gph with the least watts used. This will keep your tank temp lower.

I have:

Maxijet 1200 as return

Fragglereef.com nano pump and tunze mini for added flow in display

I have thought about adding another nano pump from fraggle reef.

I only had problems with sand getting kicked up when I attempted to use a maxijet with the sure flow 1600gph mod

Well, I was trying to put it in where the nozzle on the front of the MJ900 would go right out through the hole in the chamber and it wouldn't fit that way. If I set it at the bottom and run a hose up to the hole I bet it will fit. I'll have to see if I can get it off the stock pump, the last time I played with it I was thinking it was permanently attached. I'll give that a shot.

Does your 900 kick up a lot of sand in your tank?

I don't have one in the display. I suggested that because I have a MJ1200 as a return pump. It runs on 20W and gives 295gph with only one source of flow for the tank. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off with a MJ900 as the return and another PH in the display. I used the MJ900 as an example to say, 2 MJ900 would only draw 17W and give 460gph with flow from two sources. So, less Wattage should mean less heat and obviously there's more flow. Instead of a MJ900, I have heard from several others that the Koralia 1 is working as a great PH for their AP24. It's more flow, but it's more diffused than the Maxi-Jet which is more linear.

Seriously, all I did was disconnect the tube from where it goes through the wall, lift the stock pump out, pull the tube off the output, slide it onto the MJ(I'm certain I had to use the venturi adapter, just plug the airline hose with the plug the MJ comes with), drop the MJ down, reconnect the elbow to the wall, and plug in.

I use the MJ1200, as do most people as thier return pump in the back chamber. Let it sit near the bottom in the back and use a hose to connect the two. You can't make the pump fits directly into the outlet hole without a hose. I use the Mj1200 in the back, and a Koralia Nano in the tank itself, and it is not too much flow. Some folks use more than that. You should have no problem. If it is stirring up some sand, it should settled down in time. You may not want to aim your Y-loclines from your return pump directly down at the sand, and angle it more at the glass, and maybe one at the waters surface for some oxygen exchange.

I use the MJ 1200 in the back as well. I simply pulled the tubing off the stock pump (yes, it does come off), placed the venturi adapter that comes with the 1200 on the pump and attached the hose. It fits just fine in the back.

I don't have anything in the tank other than LR and sand so I can't speak to whether it is too much or not enough flow for various things, but given the number of people using the 1200 and since it has the same GPH as the stock pump I don't see how it could be too much flow.

It doesn't stir up the sand, but I don't direct the flow onto the sand either. Even if I did I can't imagine it stirring up the sand for long. It would just shift and settle.

I also use a Korilla 1 like many others. They seem to be a great combo.

BTW, I noticed that my stock pump is already crapping out. I have only used it once in a bucket to mix salt and it rattles loudly depending on which way the outlet is pointed. Total crap pump.

• 11 years later...