ReefCleaners.org

Our first marine tank: 34 Gallon Solana

spiffish

thelastmucci

I have a question for the OP...your tank legs look allot like the ones for the CAD 39 gallon Signature...do you find that the light is "stable" or does it seem very unsecure.

The heater is temporary. Had a glass one break.. luckily not shatter. I think I am done with glass tho!

Anyhoo, your tank looks great. I've been thinking about a lawnmower blenny.. how's he like it in there? Scape looks real nice too. Its cool to see other people with the same tank and see how it compares.

How long do you keep your light on btw?

For me: soon to come: a fish or two, some more coral (aren't we all?) and another koralia or tunze for more flow. Maybe I'll mod the one I've got first though...

I actually just brought my blenny back, he was really cool while i had him but since i had to replace my tank yesterday i used the opportunity to catch him and return him, he was always really happy and well fed on the natural algae that grew but i just only want about 5 fish, 6 max and i have other fish i'd prefer in his "spot" as a fish in my tank ... anyways they are cool fish but just make sure you will want him for a long time and you have some decent algae growth (doesn't have to be a TON) because once he's in, good luck getting him out they love holes in rockwork... oh and its good to watch them at the store and make sure they are active and eating off of the glass/rocks at the store, but thats common sense with all fish i guess.

I need another timer but this is the schedule i want to run...

11am-9pm (Metal Halide)

9pm-10pm (Blue+White moonlights)

10pm-7am (Blue moonlights only, corals really glow under just blue btw)

7am-11am (Blue+White moonlights)

repeat thousands of times :)

uglyamericanV1.5

beware a frogspawn or galaxia with the softies and xena. they sting. it people wil say its ok if its "downwind" which is silly, because its a closed system and if those sweepers hit a softie the softie will release mucus.......which will cause a serious problem.

i think blastos or a favia sp. with short sweepers would be great though.

just my two pennies...

ps i was dumb enough to put a galaxia with a devils hand leather, and it ended up being really bad for the leather and hurt the zoas....

beware a frogspawn or galaxia with the softies and xena. they sting. it people wil say its ok if its "downwind" which is silly, because its a closed system and if those sweepers hit a softie the softie will release mucus.......which will cause a serious problem.

i think blastos or a favia sp. with short sweepers would be great though.

just my two pennies...

ps i was dumb enough to put a galaxia with a devils hand leather, and it ended up being really bad for the leather and hurt the zoas....

Well, as it happens, the bit of coral on the very top (hard to see in my pics) is galaxia... I think I'll be returning that to Mr. Coral in favor of something else...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the solana right now and I love your build up. 2 questions if I may, How does the skimmer run and what is the GPH on the pump that comes with it? Thank you.

LosingSleep
I'm looking at the solana right now and I love your build up. 2 questions if I may, How does the skimmer run and what is the GPH on the pump that comes with it? Thank you.

My skimmer is working well. The skimmate isn't thick and dark but it's quite nasty. Try a search, some people here are running aftermarket skimmers.

The return pump is 400gph.

It's true about the sweepers on the galaxea - I've seen 4" sweepers on mine! Now it's banished to the back corner of the tank where it gets a little less flow so it's fine, growing well, and makes the back corner pretty. If you have a corner to stick it in I'd do that, else yeah, you'll want to return it. Which would be sad, it's a pretty coral. Banish it to the corner and enjoy it!! :naughtydance:

• 10 months later...
TriggerHappyDude

Nice tank! I'm considering starting with a Solana, and I'm trying to decide on those lights, which fixture to get.

I like the one you have and wondered why you chose it?

Archived