Top Shelf Aquatics

SeeDemTails 37 gal Mantle SPS and Zoa Reef

SeeDemTails

Atlantis Reef

SWEET TANK! Can't wait for new pics!! I have to move my 90 reef very soon!! I finished the basement in my house and made a spot for it behind the bar and I dread it!!! It is looking so good now!!! I just need to figuire out new Nikon d40 to get before and after pics hehe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SeeDemTails

Well, here is a little preview of the new spot for the tank. I still have a lot of work to do, the tank and rock were simply placed, but I am starting on the rockwork tomorrow.

The tank is basically at eye level, almost 4 feet off the ground, on a part of my mantle. It is totally the center piece of my living room! I also built a nice canopy for the tank, this time I think Proraptor2 might have a hard time calling it ghetto.

When this is finished, it is gonna look awesome. I plan to add another 150W halide to it and a bunch more sps.

I also need to build a cabinet for the equipment and the auto top off reservoir.

Here a couple sneak peaks, thats all you guys get till I am finished! Pardon all the coralline, I have been slacking while waiting for the move, after the rockwork is done I am gonna scrape the glass.

DSC01434.JPG

DSC014351.JPG

The damages from the move.....This is pretty much it, a few small monti frags got snapped off. Everything else is fine, no damage.

DSC01436.JPG

SeeDemTails

My hubby is 6'4"....He loves the new spot the tank is in.

I cant lie, he and one of his buddys moved the tank, I am no where near strong enough to even mess around with lifting or moving my precious tank. I just let him do, plus if he broke it I would have someone to blame, not myself lol.

After moving the tank, and now that it is in its new spot, he is all about it, testing the water, talking about the aquascape, ect ect. I though he was done with this hobby a little while back, but I am so happy that he is getting back into it.

Screename_116

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into it..so far no luck. I just set up a 45 hex front..I hope she will get interested.

SeeDemTails

My dad kept reef tanks the entire time I was growing up. He was doing it when it was still really hard because none of the stuff we have to make our tanks run nice and smoothly was available. I have always loved tanks, lizards, turtles, snakes, ect ect when I was younger. I guess I am kinda a Tom boy in my hobbys, minus the boy clothes lol.

As soon as my husband told me he kept reef tanks, I was in love! :wub:

constantocean

a sweet palm tree would nicely hide those electrical wires.

just throwing that out there!

your tank seriously is nice tho, Must give credit where it's due and your tank is quite nice.

plus....reefer chicks are awesome. even married ones.

SeeDemTails
a sweet palm tree would nicely hide those electrical wires.

just throwing that out there!

your tank seriously is nice tho, Must give credit where it's due and your tank is quite nice.

plus....reefer chicks are awesome. even married ones.

Thanks! :D

I am going to build a cabinet that is going on the left side of the bricks, that will hide all that. It is already in the works, just have to finalize a few things.

I had to put the CF ballast in the canopy.....What do you all think about that?.....I certainly didn't want to, but without major rewiring I had no choice. Do you think a fan on it will keep the dry and ok? The MH ballast and the other stuff will go in the cabinet.

Thanks Weetie!...Did you get my PM?

Well the wait was worth it the tank has a beautiful new home. Will the sun be a problem when the curtains are open, heat algae etc?

SeeDemTails

I am bringing home my HUGE rainbow monti today, I finally beat the nudis! I cant wait to get it back under metal halide.

I scraped the glass but I am trying to take this nice and slow and get just how I want for years of enjoyment.

Nick's Reef

Dang you got me all excited, I just saw that you posted something and thought you had rescaped! Well I guess I'll just have to wait to see how awesome it's going to look! :D

United_Poseidon

I like the look of this setup. Definitely the most stable stand I have seen. It looks like it was made for the tank. From the perspective of the shot, it looks much higher than four feet though, or maybe thats just because there is nobody in the picture for scale. To me, water changes do not look fun ;)

SeeDemTails

WC's and regular maintenance is a chore, but worth it for the view of the tank.

It is really high, I have to measure exactly.

When I saw this spot, my heart dropped!...I knew this would be the spot for my tank. It made me 100% happier about moving, I had such a unique spot for the tank in the last house, I was so afraid I was gonna have to give that up. I am actually happier with the new spot than the last one!

The tank is basically at eye level, almost 4 feet off the ground, on a part of my mantle. It is totally the center piece of my living room! I also built a nice canopy for the tank, this time I think Proraptor2 might have a hard time calling it ghetto.

I dont have a hard time at all calling the new hood ghetto as it looks just as ghetto as the last one....You need to find a hood/stand builder....

SeeDemTails
I dont have a hard time at all calling the new hood ghetto as it looks just as ghetto as the last one....You need to find a hood/stand builder....

LOL you can do just about anything Matty boy, I shouldnt have underestimated you. You gonna paint the pictures next? -_-:lol:

There is nothing ghetto about that hood and you know it, you dont have to be such a dick all the time. I think it looks just fine and so does everyone else who has seen it, and even with all the crap on the glass 20 minutes after I placed the tank, it still looks better than yours. And will look 100% better than your after it is finished.

LOl keep adding that compact flourescent to your tank, your lighting still blows.

Stay off my tank thread from now on and I will do the same for you, stop being such a troll.

Glad the move went well... :)

I lived in Fla...years ago...some crazy designs in homes around the beachs..

But for the life of me...what was that ledge used for???

It looks original...plant display???

Izzue

LOL you can do just about anything Matty boy, I shouldnt have underestimated you. You gonna paint the pictures next? -_-:lol:

There is nothing ghetto about that hood and you know it, you dont have to be such a dick all the time. I think it looks just fine and so does everyone else who has seen it, and even with all the crap on the glass 20 minutes after I placed the tank, it still looks better than yours. And will look 100% better than your after it is finished.

LOl keep adding that compact flourescent to your tank, your lighting still blows.

Stay off my tank thread from now on and I will do the same for you, stop being such a troll.

My name isnt matt....dont know where you got that....

Your new hood looks just as ghetto as the old one.....You really need to find a furniture grade cabinet maker to build you a nice hood....

Keep making fun of my tank as it doesnt bother me at all....I know what rare corals I have and rare coral you have....

SeeDemTails

Your right on Izzue, it used to be a planter, I ripped the metal "bucket" out and put a piece of styrofoam under a 3/4" piece of marine grade plywood.

I am going to cover it with a strip of pine to match the canopy. I used pine because the room is so light, I was afraid oak would be too dark once stained.

Matt, you can knock my hood, but I dont know many girls who can use miter saw and make their own hood, do you? Whether you like it or not, I am proud of it and I would rather save my money for corals than pay someone to make a hood. I will post close up pics of it. I doubt anyone but you will say anything but good things about it.

Your corals arent that great, they look like crap sitting on the rocks on frag plugs. That takes away anything that their rareness may have let on.

I have twice as much coral as you, and plenty of rare types. I havent posted pics of my stock in a while, you have no idea what I have. You on the other hand posted pics of your stock just the other day, and it isnt that impressive.

Im aware women usually dont do wood work and thats why I suggested you find a quality cabinet maker to make you one (it wont be that expensive).

Right off the bat it looks like the front is made of 3 pieces of wood when it should be made of one solid piece. Next the side panels should be affixed behind and not to the side of the front piece of wood....It makes for a much cleaner look....

SeeDemTails

The sides are mitered......I just covered them with molding because I liked the way it looked.

The reason there are two pieces on the front are like that because that is how it opens. It cant open from the top, it will hit the ceiling.

Im aware women usually dont do wood work and thats why I suggested you find a quality cabinet maker to make you one (it wont be that expensive).

Right off the bat it looks like the front is made of 3 pieces of wood when it should be made of one solid piece. Next the side panels should be affixed behind and not to the side of the front piece of wood....It makes for a much cleaner look....

I have been a finish carpenter on the side off and on for 15 years in addition to wood turning and carving. I have to say it looks OK for someone who doesn't do much woodworking. As long as SeeDem is happy with it, it does not matter what anybody else thinks.

SeeDem, a word of advise though: you seem to take a great deal of pride in your liberated, macho chick-power and it's a bit annoying. You don't have a penis. End of story. Your tank is wonderful and that should be enough, regardless of your gender. Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to shots of the rainbow monti in it's new home.

-Prof

Archived