inTank Media Baskets

Starfish ID

caja

This little guy hitchiked in some GSP that I got from Reeflabs.com.

Any ideas on the type of starfish? Right now he's confined in a pyrex measuring cup till I know if I can toss him in the tank.

Thanks!

I believe this is an Asterina spp. Almost all are harmless in the reef tank - they eat detritus. I've got them in my tank without a problem. They seem to reproduce by fission, as they are often irregularly shaped with varying numbers of missing or half grown legs.

I love 'em. :)

Well I know not all asterinas eat coraline but many do. If you start seeing white spots on your coraline then you might want to start plucking them off your rock & tossing them. Little ones make small irritating white spots but large asterinas can clear a huge patch of coraline over night (its happened to me).

Once they run out of food they can prey on some stony corals but not all will do this.

powerofslack

There is a big article on GARF (www.garf.org) about these tan asymmetrical fission dividing starfish being ravenous coral predators- they have quite a few high res pics with the article and they look a lot like what you;ve posted; you should tak a look at the article and see what you think- hope this is helpful!

I don't think the one you have is the same as the ones from the garf site. I had those stars in my 7 (and you might have picked the star up from me) and never once saw them near a coral. Did see them on the glass from time to time tho. No coral eating in my tanks. Sorry for passing it along to you, although I think it is a beneficial star and not a coral eater.

Crak, he came in on a rock of GSP's that I got from Piero at Reeflabs. I emailed a pic to Piero and he said to ***sniff, sniff*** get rid of it, that it was a predatory star. I also had a bunch of other peeps tell me the same thing. Poor little guy - flushed to the great reef in the sky. :(

So that's what they are! Two of these stars hitchhiked along with the Astrea's that I recently purchased. It's hard to imagine that they are predatory when they're only 5mm wide.

They seem to hang out at the top of the water line all the time. I'll keep my eye on them though and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I have the same species of starfish in my tank. Definately is the asterina starfish. I know for a fact that the asterina eats coralline because of all the white spots they leave behind on my beautiful coralline. The only reason why I havnt removed them from my tank yet is because Im waiting to get some harlequin shrimp to devour them.

My Harlequin Shrimp do not touch those little asterinas at all. They eat larger, more substantial stars like chocolate chip starfish. You may want to rethink your plan.

Ive seen harlequin shrimp eat asterinas so maybe its just a one of those things. You know, you want it to eat something but it just dont want to. Just like peppermint shrimp and aiptasia :

• 4 weeks later...

This critter went into hiding shortly after I took the picture... Should I remove him if I see him again?

My tank is fairly young and I'm just now getting my first coraline blooms- I would hate to have it devoured.

Please advise...

i have a ton of those exact star fish, as i said they are mutants, but i have had no problem with them touching my coral at all. everyonce and awhile they are on the glass or behind power heads, but they seem to eat the brown stuff that builds up behind the power heads. thats all they do in my tank

Archived