Cultivated Reef

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

I have something that looks similar to this. Do you think that is was/ is bryopsis?

I'm sorry to say but it is (or rather was) bryopsis :huh:

Could you maybe add a Koralia 1?

Or what about putting a smallish powerhead at the bottom rear corner of the tank aimed across the back behind the rockwork?

I have found that this is a good area to increase circulation in my own tanks.

Hey Boris. Great new additions as well as pictures. I really really like those Triple Red Zoas that you have. The solid red color is great.

I echo Weetie's suggestion on a powerhead and the placement. With the scape that you have, you could easily hide another powerhead behind the rock and point it across the tank towards the surface. May want to check out the Koralia Nanos as they are inexpensive for what you get and are pretty small. I have actually been contemplating adding one to my tank, but the fish are already telling me they are tired of battling all of the flow. :)

Awesome additions!!! Love them Triple Reds ... +2 to another powerhead ... love the Koralias ... I will check and see if I have an extra one lying around ... it's yours ;)

Hey Boris. Great new additions as well as pictures. I really really like those Triple Red Zoas that you have. The solid red color is great.

I echo Weetie's suggestion on a powerhead and the placement.

I hope they grow out really soon and then, if you still like them, they're yours.

I also burned a disc for you with some music and extra surprises ;) Mailing on Monday.

My goal is to seed the original rock-work with the corals and keep the plugs with corals moving down the line :D

Could you maybe add a Koralia 1?

Or what about putting a smallish powerhead at the bottom rear corner of the tank aimed across the back behind the rockwork?

I have found that this is a good area to increase circulation in my own tanks.

It looks like that's the consensus from the community :)

I'm reluctant to put another mechanical accessory into the tank because it's quite crowded with them already, but it seems like the most viable alternative.

Awesome additions!!! Love them Triple Reds ... +2 to another powerhead ... love the Koralias ... I will check and see if I have an extra one lying around ... it's yours ;)

Thank you. That is amazing! Frankly, I'm in awe of this community for being so nice.

Maybe I can help you with those hard to get pix?! I've got the cam and the skillz :slap: (slap myself for haughty praise).

I hope they grow out really soon and then, if you still like them, they're yours.

I also burned a disc for you with some music and extra surprises ;) Mailing on Monday.

My goal is to seed the original rock-work with the corals and keep the plugs with corals moving down the line :D

That would be awesome Boris. I'm excited about getting the music as well....really great music you and your group are producing.

Hey Boris. Did you get your MH?

Hey Adam,

I got them on Monday, but the last couple of days were rough with a capital R! Also, I didn't get to ship you that CD until today :( sorry.

So the lights make the tank look completely differently and i still don't know what to make of it. The corals seem to be doing ok but I can't tell how they're adjusting yet. It's hard to compare when the color of the lamp is so drastically different.

How long do you think it will take for the corals to properly adjust to the new light?

Sad day today.

I discovered my favorite 6 line wrasse on the floor by the tank. He cleared 5 inches between the water and the edge of the tank and slipped out in a very narrow 5X13 opening in the back of the tank...I never expected that kind of precision jumping from a six-line.... a sad day.

Sad day today.

I discovered my favorite 6 line wrasse on the floor by the tank. He cleared 5 inches between the water and the edge of the tank and slipped out in a very narrow 5X13 opening in the back of the tank...I never expected that kind of precision jumping from a six-line.... a sad day.

Awwwwwwwww ... man ... sorry to hear that :( Wrasses are amazing jumpers ... I currently have an Exquisite living in my overflow ... fit through a tiny hole in the netting that protects that area. It's amazing their precision.

How's the new light doing? Sunpod is amazing right?

Sorry to hear about the six-line jumping and giving up his ghost. Amazing little creatures for sure...amazing and pretty common jumpers as well. :(

It sounds like you are liking the new light so far. I'm sure it makes your tank look completely different than with flourescents. Are you saying that you don't like the look or you just can't tell how the corals are adjusting?

You should be able to tell if the corals are reacting negatively....shrooms will start to lose color and just look unhappy, etc. Not sure how easy this is for you to obtain, but when I added the Sunpod over my BC29, I cut 2-3 sheets of backporch screening and acclimated everything like that. Just stacked the three sheets on there and took one off every couple of days. I experience no adverse effects from the coral....might have been overkill but it worked for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new pics with the new light....get on it Boris :)

No worries about the CD as well.....I understand how things can go from a great week where you have plenty of time for things to a week from hell.

I like the light and the security of knowing that it's enough for the corals to subsist on. All my old residents seem unphazed by the new light and the colors come out more phosphorescent. But I can't tell the difference in color intensity yet because It may take more time for the corals to adjust. One thing I can tell for sure is that the Yellow polyps are not "reaching" as they did before.

Sounds like things are going swimmingly with the new light Boris. It is definitely nice to know that the light that you have is plenty for pretty much any coral that you could want now and in the future. Lighting and pumps are always a great investment in my opinion as you can move them from tank to tank.

Looking forward to some new pics with the new lighting.

The GSP were not doing as well for a couple of days, but that started before the new light and I suspect they weren't too thrilled with the new salt mix I've been using.

Here are some pix with the new light.

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

Deleted User 6

Boris,

Sorry to hear about the six-line. That sucks. Tank is looking nice otherwise.

I have a Koralia 1 that I could part with if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

Awesome pics ... what salt did you switch over to?

I was using this for a while:

bioassay_m.jpg

And when I couldn't find it at my supplier I switched to Instant Ocean (from the LFS) and my corals LOVED IT. The coralline algae took off too.

So, when I was ordering new salt, I still couldn't find Crystal Sea Marine Mix and went with this:

TP1115_99.jpg

Since my water is pretty clean, I'm guessing that the corals reacted to this new salt.

Cool ... personally I would have stuck with IO ... been using it for YEARS ... never had a problem with it ...

Yea, I'm considering a switch back to it after the current salt runs out. I read somewhere that it's toxicity level is higher when considering pelagic organisms and micro-fauna, but corals are the priority at this point, right ;).

Yea, I'm considering a switch back to it after the current salt runs out. I read somewhere that it's toxicity level is higher when considering pelagic organisms and micro-fauna, but corals are the priority at this point, right ;).

Really?! wow ... this i never knew ... uh oh ... by the way I was asked by a friend to fill in for her for a gig at MSM on Sunday ... well the performance is at St. Johns (something like that ...) You doing it? Opera ........................ ugh.

Really?! wow ... this i never knew ... uh oh ... by the way I was asked by a friend to fill in for her for a gig at MSM on Sunday ... well the performance is at St. Johns (something like that ...) You doing it? Opera ........................ ugh.

Check out this article Salt Mix Toxicity

I'm not playing any more MSM gigs. That last one was an exception because David Gilbert asked the orchestra manager to get someone "professional" because the part was exceptionally difficult and very exposed....

• 3 months later...
Oh where oh where has Boris gone off to now?? :)

Hope all has been well and hope you're 15H is still alive and kickin'

-Adam

Hey Adam,

I was on tour in Europe for three weeks. Now I'm back and my tank was a total mess because it got overfed. I had briopsys and hair algae outbreaks, so I'm taking care of the tank now and things are better. I think next time I go away, I will pre-sort all the food into those prescription drug cases, you know, the ones that have slots for every day of the week. That way I wouldn't have to worry....