inTank Media Baskets

Do I have a Cowrie snail?

JonnyMiata

I took a picture of this odd looking snail in my tank. It is pinkish and covered in clear mucous. It have very long feelers in the front of its body and its head comes out way farther than a normal snail. It looks like the fleshy part of the snail is clear or opaque.

The closest thing I can think of that it could be is a Cowrie. I did some reading on them and it looks like they eat coral so I need to watch this guy. I do think he likes eating the red slime algae in my tank so that is a plus.

Anybody have any ideas?

Here is a picture of it. It is in the middle just slightly up and right.

47b3d805b3127cce89a530b4cdd50000001610

Jonny

BlackSumbel

I have some of these. They look like either "Peppermint snails" or some type of small cowrie or Margin snail. Not really sure.

The thing sticking way out is the siphon.

Though, since mine are so small (and a bit more cone shaped than round) I try to keep clear of them, and just let them do their thing untill they get big enough to positively Identify.

-Sumbel.

• 2 weeks later...
liquidfunk

Its a stomatella not a cowrie. Ive got both in my tank (my cowrie is about 4 inches long) stomatellas are really fast travelers, and have a translucent shell. Im not sure about the spelling, but do some poking around for something simillar to spelling and you'll find it.

HTH

liquid

Archived