fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nanoreefchris

Looks like a real piece of crap

NOT!

The tallest I want is 24", any taller and you need a step ladder or tongs to reach the bottom, even at the front of the tank.

my tank is 24" deep. even being 6'4", I need a ladder to do any sort of appreciable work in the tank. with the canopy off, the top rim of the tank is at the top of my shoulder.

also, congrats on the giganormous new tank! get a sea turtle!! :happy:

Thanks everybody. It's gonna be fun, I like designing new tanks.

Emailing the guy and paypal-ing deposit first thing in the morning.

yeah we could tell lol

This will be the last one for awhile, it's definitely the biggest this house will hold. If the 125 doesn't sell...I'm thinking cichlid tank upgrade, there's one other spot that could hold that sized tank. B)

My girlfriend rocks.

We had my truck FULL of stuff today. We had the 180 and stand, 4 wheels for the miata, a big laserjet printer, a chrome barstool for the man-cave, and the furniture dolly for moving the tank. We picked up a lot of stuff on this road trip. 280 miles.

on the way home:

01-22-10cominghome.jpg

finally home:

01-22-10front.jpg

01-22-10rear.jpg

Thats a 150w MH over the center section. I've decided on 3x150 (14k lamps) pendants. I'll hang them pretty low. That will be plenty for a mixed reef.

The stand is 36" tall and, as you can see from the rear picture, sturdy as hell. It's a great frame for me to re-skin with something that will match our furniture. All of my tanks in the past have had glass tops. I think I will try some pond-netting at first to see how I like it. It's at least worth a shot being the much cheaper alternative. I'm not worried about evap so much now that I have an RO unit.

Now to design some plumbing and a sump/fuge/frag tank system. I have available to work with a 40b, a 30L, a 20H, a 20L, a 15L, (2) 10s, a 5.5, and a 2.5. I could get a 55 pretty easily, too. Suggestions?

the Miata's new race wheels, 13x8s:

13x8s.jpg

SEXY WHEELS.

I want a miata. :tears:

They're ugly and heavy, but they're wide and will have slicks instead of street tires like I've raced on for the past 3 years, so I'll deal. Plus they were cheap. $75 for the SET. Can't beat that. The short diameter will also drop my gearing a little which will help me coming out of slow corners in 2nd gear. I make too much power to downshift to my super-short 1st, so it will be nice feeling the new gear ratio. Hopefully I won't need 3rd too much on the straights.

I want a MS3...to go with my Miata. I need a DD, my truck gets crap mileage and the Miata eats tires because I have 180 treadwear Kumho XS' and a stupid aggressive alignment. Plus I hate putting miles on the Miata. It's an '02 and only has 48k on the clock. The past 24k have been pure abuse, but still only 48. :D

You'd fit okay in a new MX-5. I love the new front end. If I wanted to spend 25k on a new car that would be very high on my list. Too bad if I had 25k to spend I'd be buying and modifying a c5 z06 or a FD AND a bigger truck.

back on topic, not that I ever mind car banter: I'm doing some research on the feasibility of LEDs on a large tank. When you start factoring in power consumption and lamp replacements the upfront investment of LED's doesn't seem so crazy.

I wonder how 4 to 6 of evil's PAR38 21w pendants would look hanging from a track-light?

12000k, 60* PAR38 LED ordered. I'm just getting one for now. I'll see how it looks in person. If I think it'll cut it I'll order 5 more, if it won't work for the 180 the Pico gets a new light and back to the drawing board.

Quick question - which impeller are you using on your skimmer - the mesh or the soft pin? I'm getting close to ordering mine. I've been checking out the Vertex and the Bubble Magus, but I'm still leaning toward the Octo Extreme.

Are you gonna keep the 125?

Thanks! If it doesn't sell for my asking price I'll keep it, it'll be priced as a deal, but I'm not going to give it away. If I keep it I'll probably put Cichlids in it with canister filters. The problems I'm having with it are a result of salt creep and open sumps and not being able to reach anything because of the corner it's in. It was designed to be open on that end.

Quick question - which impeller are you using on your skimmer - the mesh or the soft pin? I'm getting close to ordering mine. I've been checking out the Vertex and the Bubble Magus, but I'm still leaning toward the Octo Extreme.

It's the soft pin, they didn't include the mesh wheel with mine and I forgot to send them an email. Thanks for the reminder. I can't imagine how well this will skim with the mesh wheel.

I think I've decided on the Quietone 4000 as a return pump. The returns will be hard piped 1" pvc. I'm undecided on the drains being vacuum hose or hard piped. My sump fuge setup will be a 40 breeder as the main sump and a 15 gallon secondary. One drain will go to the 15 (where the skimmer will be) which will then drain to the 40. The other drain will go straight to the 40. The 40 will house the extra live rock, 2 Stealth Heaters, some chaeto, and the return pump.

The display will have a Koralia 6, a Koralia 4, and Koralia 3 for supplemental flow.

Hopefully the PAR38s will be enough. If needed I plan to add a 4' 2-lamp Nova Extreme to help with the coverage. It's low profile and narrow, so I can slide it towards the back of the tank and it probably won't even be noticeable. Then I will have the flexibility to point the spotlights wherever I want.

I've also ordered 1/4" netting to make some screen tops. Hopefully that guy will email me back soon.

Can't wait to see this up!! omgomgomg

ME NEITHER!! :happydance::haha:omgomgomg

We're going to work our butts off this weekend to make it happen.

Hopefully the PAR38s will be enough. If needed I plan to add a 4' 2-lamp Nova Extreme to help with the coverage.

Decided on the 4-lamp Nova. More light AND moonlights. Plus the Dr's have it on sale and are still running their $5.99 shipping. I'll order that in the morning.

Archived