Innovative Marine Aquariums

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

Working on getting some matching lights for this thing. The decision making process will begin this weekend on which ones to get.

I really want Metal Halide, but I think it will be impractical because it'll need some supplementation. If this tank had two center braces, then that would be the easy decision, three 150s, done. Being a Perfecto with just a single center brace makes the decision a little more difficult. I've even tossed around the idea of doing (4) 70w MH retros. I would love to do a DIY LED fixture, but I can't spare 800 bucks. I'll probably just wind up with some T5 retrofits.

Livestock is all fine. I've been working on getting pictures of the horseshoe crab, but he's never in a good spot for long enough for me to get a decent shot. I've got the camera sitting by the tank now, so hopefully I'll get one of him soon.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost got a Sunpod for mine, then I ran across the Catalina Fixtures and well I love T-5's and didn't want to worry about the heat...I am really happy with the fixture I got and it was alot cheaper than the Sunpod would have been. fixture I got was 6x 80w $479 free shipping and then I upgraded the bulbs which was another $180...not too bad IMO

Post up some pix :P

Post up some pix :P

Not until I have lights! I hate how bad it looks in pictures, it's really not that bad in person. Soon, I hope.

Good to know on the Catalina fixtures, I've looked at a few. Maybe I can find a used one. A few months ago there was a guy here in town selling an Aquactinics Constellation (the 14 bulb, 72" one), I might try to get up with him to see if he still has it. He would probably come off the price considering how long it's been and the way the economy is now. I'm really not that picky when it comes to brands, I'll build my own retrofits if I have to. It'd probably be more fun that way.

I've also been considering a slight aquascape change. I'm thinking of making the reef wall on the right a little shorter, and more sporadic, give it more of a multi-tower look. Then use the rocks that I pull out of the wall to build up (as in taller) my center island so that it truely is the focal point of the tank.

Livestock is all fine.

Spoke too soon I guess. PBT died yesterday. No warning signs at all. He's been doing great for months. I'm sad, he was my favorite. :(

The tank looks so empty now, even with 8 other fish, 2 of which are tangs, it's still missing something.

I can't decide if I should try another one or not. I can't stand the thought of such a beautiful species of fish dieing in my care. I might just get a hippo, at least they're still blue.

I've been considering getting a Niger trigger, or some Butterflies. What should I replace the PBT with?

another PBT, a hippo, trigger, butterflies, emperor angel, lots of anthias? Ideas?

Current inhabitants:

1 chromis, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow tang, 1 sailfin, 2 occy clowns, 1 fiji blue devil, 1 sixline

• 1 month later...

That sux but in a way it is great haha I would offer my help if I could...will work for beerz and pizza lol

I offer my moral support :lol::grouphug:

Going to look at a new house tonight. If we like it I could be moving this tank, again, in as little as 6 weeks. :scarry:

Detail your move please with photos! I'm dreading the day I have to move the tank.

Check out StevieTs tank move thread in the general section. It's really good. I posted a few things in there. I may try to document moving the 20 gallon, but I'll be busy enough moving the 125. I stay too wet to operate a camera anyways. Last time we moved the 125 it was 13 hours start to finish (only about 20 minutes drive time).

The house was awesome, just needs a little cosmetic stuff. We're meeting with the owner on Saturday to haggle. If we get it we'll be moving in early October. The good news is we will probably stay there for a few years if not ultimately buy it from the guy and stay there for a lot of years.

Owning a house was the best thing to happen to me and the hubby...before that we moved around aaaalot.

I eventually have to redo the flooring in my master bedroom where the AP24 is...I am not looking forward to that. :(

good luck on the haggling :lol:

Owning a house was the best thing to happen to me and the hubby...before that we moved around aaaalot.

Yeah. We're not quite ready to buy, but this is a place we would probably like to purchase, so hopefully we can get it and stay put for many years. It's for rent, rent-to-own, for sale, whatever, they just need an occupant, so we figure we can buy it in a few years when we're ready. Plus this way we get to try out the house and the neighborhood without committing to anything besides a little time there.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sweet a 125. I cant wait till mine has water!

PS dont mind me in the lounge lol. :P

The 125 is an awesome intermediate sized tank, big enough to hold some large things and be very creative with, but small enough to be manageable. You will love it.

I don't mind anyone in the lounge. I've been doing the forum thing for too long to get worked up over anything on the internet.

Good luck with your tank!

Cozy. Now clean your CR-V's wheels. Or stop breaking so hard!

That's the girlfriend's car. It hasn't been washed in years. I might do it for her at the new house since we'll finally have a real driveway. The drivers side is all banged up, she drug the entire length of the car across a drive-thru bollard like 4 years ago. We keep the car in good mechanical shape, but could really care less what it looks like. It's got enough miles on it that it isn't worth jack anyways. In fact I'll probably try to turn it into a drag racing project rather than selling it anyways. We'll see how much that auto tranny and awd drivetrain can handle!

We went over and cleaned for 4 hours today. Another good cleaning session and then we can start sanding and painting then we can start moving the fish tanks and the rest of the furniture. It's going to be alot of work!

My sister owns a CR-V '99 The auto and realtime 4wd do not like to be anywhere close to max GVW limits. She and her friends loaded it up for a week long camping trip. Not the skinniest girls either. Man she bottomed out the shocks for 7 hours drive each way. Now when she visits I hear her car coming a mile away.

Congrats! :happy:

Thanks! I'm trying to decide where the fish tanks are going to go. The only one I'm sure of is the 125.

Went by last night and trimmed all of the bushes, swept the porch, sidewalks and some of the siding (I dont think I need a pressure washer to clean the rest, just a long handled brush with the regular hose will do!), and vacuumed all of the cob webs from the vaulted ceilings. It's coming along nicely.

Archived