Innovative Marine Aquariums

¿Qué es esto?

dshnarw

One of the first corals I got when I re-set up my aquaria, and I've never been quite sure what it was. Made it through the move to Maryland, but bleached badly, and has recovered well.

Looks superficially like a plate coral, but has MANY mouths (white) and is attached to the substrate...so I don't know.

sweepers out:

HPIM3166.JPG

annoyed it a bit:

HPIM3168.JPG

overhead, white spots are all mouths:

HPIM3170.JPG

attached:

HPIM3172.JPG

Fungia
have you seen a fungia with multiple mouths?? I haven't...which is why I'm skeptical :(

Yeah - just a quick count - it has ~30!!!!!! mouths on it?!?!?!?

have you seen a fungia with multiple mouths?? I haven't...which is why I'm skeptical :(

Yeah - just a quick count - it has ~30!!!!!! mouths on it?!?!?!?

Yes, there are a number of Fungia that have peripheral mouths separated from the axial mouth. There are quite a few different types of Fungia... I'm not sure that I can nail down exactly what type yours is.

Edit: start your ID search here http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralid_search.php

Yes, there are a number of Fungia that have peripheral mouths separated from the axial mouth. There are quite a few different types of Fungia... I'm not sure that I can nail down exactly what type yours is.

Edit: start your ID search here http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralid_search.php

Thanks for the link. That one's bookmarked now :)

More fungiids than I thought, but I found it: Halomitra clavator

Characters: Colonies are free-living, irregular and dome- or bell-shaped or flat. They are usually attached to the substrate. They are thin and fragile. Septa have distinctive knob-shaped teeth. They are mostly perpendicular to the colony margin, but are sometimes in two or more groups, one group being perpendicular to the colony margin. Colour: Brown with pale margins. Corallite centres may be white. Similar species: Halomitra meierae. See also H. pileus, which is less fragile and does not have club-shaped septal teeth, and Zoopilus echinatus, which has a similar superficial appearance but dissimilar septa. Habitat: Sheltered habitats. Abundance: Rare.

908-03.jpg

is that the same thing as a helmet coral then? We have one in our 590ga display at work and it literally has grown into the dome shape of a helmet about the size of half a small watermelon. It has hundreds of mouths and tentacles all over just like yours...but bigger.

It's a cool piece!

Not a fungia... you were right. Same family though. Halomitra. Hmmm don't see that one everyday.

Yeah, definitely doesn't seem common - I've searched nearly every reef hobbyist website I could find and no luck. Glad to finally have an ID for it...Thanks Much!

is that the same thing as a helmet coral then? We have one in our 590ga display at work and it literally has grown into the dome shape of a helmet about the size of half a small watermelon. It has hundreds of mouths and tentacles all over just like yours...but bigger.

It might be Halomitra:

Halomitra pileus

or maybe:

Zoopilus echinatus

Does the helmet coral have its tentacles out ALL THE TIME? Mine stopped putting its tentacles out so much when it got bleached, but as soon as it started getting healthy, they don't stay closed. Might be because I'm feeding the mini carpets every day, but I'm not sure.

Archived