inTank Media Baskets

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

constantocean

I had to share this with you, since you are my sexy buddy.

So I went to the LFS who ordered my sexy shrimp to pick them up and the normal kid who takes care of me wasnt there.

However, my sexies had arrived and I wasn't about to leave them.

So the owner helped me.

The owner has no idea WHAT hes doing (funny enough he offered me a job while I was there, haha, I declined tho cus I like my job too much!)

But he went to get my sexies and used a NET and broke the hind legs straight off two of my three sexy shrimp.

By the time I got home, they were dead.

So I have ONE sexy shrimp right now. But still no trio. I guess its good enough to get back in the sexy club on like a low level membership. =(

BKtomodachi

$45 for a monti cap frag? :(

Def. check local reefers for that one. People here usually sell them for $5-10, or give them to you if you buy other stuff.

The tank looks great!

As far as the aiptasia goes... In my experience the Tropic Marin worked better than the Joes Juice. The Joes Juice only seemed to not kill the aiptasia entirely. It would kill probably 80% of each anem & then the pieces of it that were still alive would float around the tank and continue to spread. The Tropic Marin always killed them dead! Hopefully it works out good for you.

I really liked your adaption of the AC 70.... So much so that I copied your method instead of hooking up a Aquafuge on my tank. The only thing I did different was that I put a phosphate sponge behind the overflow screen to stop small pieces of Chaeto from flowing into the main tank. ( I had quite alot small pieces because I ripped chaeto out of my Aquafuge PS on my AP 24.)

The tank is looking great. I absolutely love that Yuma... It makes wonder if I should be doing a 99% Ric Florida, 1% Ric Yuma tank. ;)

el fabuloso
It's a sign of your skill that everything is growing so well in your tank, and I can't get enough of that yuma. And its little offshoot as well--you sure get great pics of that! And it's so amazing looking!

Thanks, I'm learning from the best! :blush: Seriously Diane, your tank is amazing and I aspire for mine to be half as good.

I'm definitely excited about my future plans and the fun little scavenger hunt involved in fulfilling it. I'm trying to reach out to local reefers and hopefully that will yield better results than scrounging up what my LFS's have to offer. Also because I'm still hesitant to order corals online.

$45 for a monti cap frag? :(

Def. check local reefers for that one. People here usually sell them for $5-10, or give them to you if you buy other stuff.

The tank looks great!

Thanks! I thought $45 was a bit high for a small frag too so I'm definitely going to try and touch base with some local reefers to see if I can get a better deal.

As far as the aiptasia goes... In my experience the Tropic Marin worked better than the Joes Juice. The Joes Juice only seemed to not kill the aiptasia entirely. It would kill probably 80% of each anem & then the pieces of it that were still alive would float around the tank and continue to spread. The Tropic Marin always killed them dead! Hopefully it works out good for you.

The Tropic Marin worked great! I've never used Joe's Juice so I can't compare but the Tropic Marin stuff killed off the aiptasias instantly and now they're completely gone!

I really liked your adaption of the AC 70.... So much so that I copied your method instead of hooking up a Aquafuge on my tank. The only thing I did different was that I put a phosphate sponge behind the overflow screen to stop small pieces of Chaeto from flowing into the main tank. ( I had quite alot small pieces because I ripped chaeto out of my Aquafuge PS on my AP 24.)

The phosphate sponge is a nifty idea, I wish I had thought of it! Every now and then I do get small pieces of chaeto in the display tank and they end up between rocks and pulling them out can be a PITA! So that's a really smart idea and also functional on so many levels.

The tank is looking great. I absolutely love that Yuma... It makes wonder if I should be doing a 99% Ric Florida, 1% Ric Yuma tank. ;)

Thank you! I love my yumas, can't get enough of them. Diane has a lush carpet of rics in her tank and it looks amazing! :happy:

I had to share this with you, since you are my sexy buddy.

So I went to the LFS who ordered my sexy shrimp to pick them up and the normal kid who takes care of me wasnt there.

However, my sexies had arrived and I wasn't about to leave them.

So the owner helped me.

The owner has no idea WHAT hes doing (funny enough he offered me a job while I was there, haha, I declined tho cus I like my job too much!)

But he went to get my sexies and used a NET and broke the hind legs straight off two of my three sexy shrimp.

By the time I got home, they were dead.

So I have ONE sexy shrimp right now. But still no trio. I guess its good enough to get back in the sexy club on like a low level membership. =(

:o

I can't stand this cycle of sexy abuse anymore... :tears: Honestly though, that sucks. Sorry to hear that, you should try and get your money back. I suppose we can let you in the club with one sexy shrimp but you're definitely on thin ice!

Sexy Photoshoot

I already posted these pics on the Sexy Shrimp thread but thought I'd repost them here on my tank thread (I'm not trying to be insensitive about your loss, Dave!). The other day I found my female sexy shrimp rummaging under my mushroom pile and she caught me staring at her. She saw me reach for the camera and agreed to a little photo shoot. She literally strutted her way across the front of the tank, stopping often to strike a pose. She's quite the little divette! :happy:

CIMG4647.jpg

CIMG4650.jpg

CIMG4651.jpg

CIMG4654.jpg

CIMG4657.jpg

CIMG4668.jpg

• Like 1

Fab,

What are you feeding the tank?

My little 2.5 has sprung a leak and I am waiting on a new one to get here. Thankfully there was only rocks and sand in there!

Fab,

My little 2.5 has sprung a leak and I am waiting on a new one to get here. Thankfully there was only rocks and sand in there!

Omega One Shrimp Pellets, they can't get enough of it!

10139.jpg

I feed them that every other day and then once a week, before I do my water change I'll let the whole tank feast on frozen cyclop-eeze or baby brine.

el fabuloso

Thanks Diane!

Fab,

Like AaronJ reposted, I feed my sexy shrimps with shrimp pellets (kinda disturbing when you stop and think about it) and some baby brine and cyclop-eeze once a week which send the whole tank into a feeding frenzy. I recently started feeding my blasto and yuma with frozen silversides and they absolutely love it! They're way cool to watch when they're eating I'll have to take pics one of these days.

Sorry to hear about the leak! :o Hopefully you caught it on time. Better now than later when your tank is fully stocked!

How many pellets do you usually feed them? I just ordered 3 sexys (sexies ?) last night and picked up some pellets to feed them, but I'm not sure how much is a good amount.

el fabuloso

I feed each of them a pellet every other day. This keeps them from fighting which they sometimes do when one of them decides not to share. I recently started using forceps to hand them pellets directly and they caught on pretty fast. In fact they learned so quickly that now whenever I'm poking around in my tank, they'll come out running after the forceps looking for a pellet. :lol:

Here are pics of my sexies munching away on their pellets:

CIMG4487.jpg

CIMG4488.jpg

CIMG4492.jpg

And yes, sometimes they share.

CIMG4323.jpg

Edited by el fabuloso
  • Like 1
el fabuloso

Thanks Diane! The shrimps never cease to entertain me and their intelligence is absolutely intriguing. When I watch them wander around the tank I can almost see a sense of purpose in them as they're so intuitive of their environment. They really are amazing little creatures!

By the way I have more great news. You're gonna love this...

...it looks like another baby yuma is on its way! :happy:

CIMG4739.jpg

I can't believe how fast this thing is reproducing! :o

el fabuloso

I'm really glad my yuma has taken off. I guess I must be doing something right.

My secret? I talk to my yuma every night before the lights are out. :P

• Like 1
constantocean

Got my other two sexies! the trio is complete! i will be getting two more in a week so I'll have five!!! I hope in time to get up to 7 of them. I will post pics of the little sexies after this sundays frag swap in NYC since I'm sure I'll have tons to take pictures of afterwards!

quick edit: one of my sexies passed away while acclimating, so I have two as of now. RIP little guy. getting two more next tho anyway. so i'll be up to 4 =)

Edited by constantocean

Wow, I just found this thread, and it is amazing how much you did with your tank. My fist tank was the deco 3g, and I was planning on doing sexies, but my tank crashed because of a frogspawn, so I upgraded from a 3g to a 29g. Seeing this makes me one to set up another 3g and get some sexies. Great job with the tank, and keep up the great work.

el fabuloso
Got my other two sexies! the trio is complete! i will be getting two more in a week so I'll have five!!! I hope in time to get up to 7 of them. I will post pics of the little sexies after this sundays frag swap in NYC since I'm sure I'll have tons to take pictures of afterwards!

quick edit: one of my sexies passed away while acclimating, so I have two as of now. RIP little guy. getting two more next tho anyway. so i'll be up to 4 =)

Congratulations! Finally, I can't wait to see the pics. So this is a new one that just died? You've killed so many I can't keep track! :P

Wow, I just found this thread, and it is amazing how much you did with your tank. My fist tank was the deco 3g, and I was planning on doing sexies, but my tank crashed because of a frogspawn, so I upgraded from a 3g to a 29g. Seeing this makes me one to set up another 3g and get some sexies. Great job with the tank, and keep up the great work.

Thank you! And welcome to my thread. :)

Sorry to hear about your pico. They're easy to set up and maintain but they're so small and fragile that all it takes is one little thing to go bad for the whole tank to crash. I'm pretty lucky (and thankful) to have my tank running as long as it has without any major problems. It's never too late to start one again! You should do it. ;)

You are officially my new king of the nanos. You are in good company too. You join PurpleUp, junkitu, and Diane. Well, Diane is still the reigning Queen, but you can be the King.

el fabuloso

King of the nanos! Wow, that's a big shoe to fill. lol I'm honored that you would put in the same company as PurpleUp, junkitu and especially Diane. Diane is definitely the reigning queen, that I'll agree with. :happy:

How can Aaron be King and Pimp at the same time????? I think we've just stumbled across a new breed of pimp. :o

The King Pimp? The Ping for short?